July 21, 2018, 01:42:21 PM

Author Topic: Wait for the Canon 5D Mark IV or get the Mark III?  (Read 134200 times)

Krob78

• EOS 5DS R
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Re: Wait for the Canon 5D Mark IV or get the Mark III?
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »
Is there a general period of time that passes before it comes out of the Alpha stage?

No, because alpha/beta/final is rather subjective or depending on the project type and reputation. The main "issue" making the 5d3 port "alpha" is that there are some features missing in comparison to the unified ml for the digic4 cameras. Also a couple of years ago ml was considered a "hack" to it was easy to use lower standards, but now the expectations are higher and thus the reluctancy on ML's side.

As for stability the dev working on this (Alex Dumitrache) is very concerned about it, so it will take quite a while for this to get the "final" label, it's a bit like 0.x->1.x version numbers in the OSS world. Also "final" implies that it won't crash, never, ever, and this is a bold statement given the very limited number of people testing all features and actually returning useful bug reports - for for the time being it seems 5d3/6d will keep being "alpha" with everybody using them anyway. Just don't use ML "nightly" released for weddings and such...

Well, my 5d3 is getting ready to head off to CPS for maintenance (stuck/hot/dead pixel issues), perhaps I'll give it a go after she comes back... Perhaps after the 1st of the year and a little more thought.  The features are certainly intriguing if not tempting in some instances but I really want to know it's not going to hurt it at all...

I never did install it on my 7d but heard lots of good feedback for the most part, so I may give it a go, as I said.  Is there a website that I can watch for updates or news or any of that sort of thing regarding ML? 
Ken

5D MK III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2013, 08:02:07 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
Is there a website that I can watch for updates or news or any of that sort of thing regarding ML?
They have got a nice forum: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum ... look in the "new ports" section for updates on your camera, generally you will want to use the nightly releases since they include the latest features/fixes and are probably more stable than anything else.

noel

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Renegade 54, congrats to you, too and thank you for that suggestion! I'm so intimidated that right now, it's still sitting in the box starring at me. I keep making excuses to avoid jumping in. By the end of the week, I hope. I am absolutely going to check out the link/ebook.

Marsu42 and Krob78 thank you both for the ML information. I'm going to try to understand my Canon as is first, then I think I will make some ML selections. I love that it's available. Some of the possibilities sound great. Thank you for your personal list, as well.

And finally, I'm psyched to know this is not a "rumors only" site. Everyone  has been so great, I want to stay  :)

Noel
Current camera: Film, Canon EOS A2E (love it, but need a DSLR asap)

Krob78

• EOS 5DS R
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
Is there a website that I can watch for updates or news or any of that sort of thing regarding ML?
They have got a nice forum: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum ... look in the "new ports" section for updates on your camera, generally you will want to use the nightly releases since they include the latest features/fixes and are probably more stable than anything else.

Thanks Marsu!
Ken

5D MK III, EOS M3, 100-400L II, 11-24L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70LIS, 17-40L, 16-35 4L, 600 EX-RT, 430EX-RT, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »