October 01, 2014, 03:11:39 PM

Author Topic: Wait for the Canon 5D Mark IV or get the Mark III?  (Read 68953 times)

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Wait for the Canon 5D Mark IV or get the Mark III?
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
I think I've made my decision    ??? (Is that a worried face?) ...Anyone want to weigh in on disks? Sandisk or Delkin?

Now, a quick bite and I'm off....

Will report back when I return.

Thank you all tremendously!

Noel
Current camera: Film, Canon EOS A2E (love it, but need a DSLR asap)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
I think I've made my decision    ??? (Is that a worried face?) ...Anyone want to weigh in on disks? Sandisk or Delkin?

Now, a quick bite and I'm off....

Will report back when I return.

Thank you all tremendously!

Noel

I actually purchased a 6D only a few months ago, picked up the 5D Mark III a few weeks ago and now I'm in the process of selling the 6D. Reason being: the 5D's AF system is far superior, especially with fast primes, where focus-and-recompose with the center AF point will lead to focus shift. Either way, if you opt for the 5D you won't be disappointed, and if you go with the 6D you'll still have a very nice tool.

As for CF/SD cards, I've only used Lexar and SanDisk and never have I had a single issue. Lexar tends to run a little more costly, but their reliability is topnotch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:15:55 PM by bleephotography »
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:42 PM »
Hello,

I just returned with a brand spank'in new 5dmarkiii (perfect timing, great to hear, Bleephotography!) I am really happy. On the way to the store, I called a TV news editor friend to chat. When I told her what I was buying her reply was "Oh, yeh, that's the one all the reporters at the station use."

I can't think you all enough. And Marsu42 and StudentofLight, w/o your help, I know I couldn't have asked nearly as good questions of the Canon sales rep. at the store. (It was rep. weekend at the store I bought the camera at).

Again thank you all so so much!! Now, off to decompress and play with the camera.

Noel

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
I actually purchased a 6D only a few months ago, picked up the 5D Mark III a few weeks ago and now I'm in the process of selling the 6D. Reason being: the 5D's AF system is far superior, especially with fast primes

... and esp. with newer Canon zooms, your 24-70L2 would be wasted on a 6d since its enhanced af precision can only be used on 5d3/1dx.

I can't think you all enough. And Marsu42 and StudentofLight, w/o your help, I know I couldn't have asked nearly as good questions of the Canon sales rep. at the store. (It was rep. weekend at the store I bought the camera at).

Happy to hear it :-) now if I only also had to money to buy a 5d3 and not end up with a 6d:-p

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
FWIW, I have been saving for a DSLR for probably twelve years (seriously). Putting a little away here and there.  I'm a film devote and I never wanted something that would lessen that photography and image quality experience and force me to sit in front of a computer (for me at least, I know others have different opinions). But, I decided to take the leap now, as I desperately need it for work. It's getting embarrassing.

So Marsu42, please don't feel badly. I literally have been socking the money away little by little. And as I think about it. I don't think I will close the savings account, I think I'll put $5 in it this week, just to get me started for the *next* DSLR. (If only I could do this with other things like say, a car, a house...).

Oh, and thanks for the info re: precision on the lens. While I was at the store, I asked the rep to talk to me about firmware for the lens.

Wishing you (and others) the very best on your photographic exploits. For my part, I have a huge learning curve ahead of me  :)

Noel

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
FWIW, I have been saving for a DSLR for probably twelve years (seriously). Putting a little away here and there.  I'm a film devote and I never wanted something that would lessen that photography and image quality experience and force me to sit in front of a computer (for me at least, I know others have different opinions). But, I decided to take the leap now, as I desperately need it for work. It's getting embarrassing.

Sounds like if anyone deserves to have a 5d3, it's you :-) ... and be sure to use Magic Lantern esp. with 5d3 & video, they also have a nice helpful forum over there http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Thank you :-)

OMG, you have no idea how much I needed this in my life. (I have a disabled child and periodically things get more difficult -- like, this past week).

And don't worry, your turn will come! You are owed it, karma and all...

Setting up the camera and printer (did I mention I picked up a nice Canon "art" printer which is virtually free after the rebate), I am so happy. Really deeply happy.

I wasn't aware of Magic Lantern (until I just looked at it). I'm curious, is it legit? buggy? In other words, I always worry about third party downloads -- I don't want to mess with my new pristine camera...

N

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
ML for the 5DIII is still in alpha.  That's not as bad as it sounds - it's apparently quite stable. The issue is that installing it sets a 'bootflag' in the camera that cannot be removed (ML is working on it), and tells Canon that you installed ML.  But there's no evidence that Canon cares about that or has denied service for it...yet.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

noel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2013, 09:03:06 PM »
Oh, okay. Thanks. I will keep my eyes on it. Can anyone suggest any other good forums to continue to learn more about my new camera? Everyone has been just great here - but I have a feeling I must be taking up "space" since I'm not discussing "rumors" anymore.

N

bleephotography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
Oh, okay. Thanks. I will keep my eyes on it. Can anyone suggest any other good forums to continue to learn more about my new camera? Everyone has been just great here - but I have a feeling I must be taking up "space" since I'm not discussing "rumors" anymore.

N

Canonrumors is much more than a rumors forum, despite what the name might lead you to believe. If you check out the forum index (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php) you'll find plenty of resources to discuss gear and/or share/view other members' images. In fact, if you do a search for "5D Mark III" you'll find quite a few posts regarding 5D Mark III stills and video. Otherwise, there are tons of books out there, many of which I own, that go through in depth about the new features and usability if you aren't looking for anything specific: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mark-III-Experience-Photography-ebook/dp/B007RGWZVM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1383532978&sr=8-13&keywords=canon+5d+mark+iii
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:47:31 PM by bleephotography »
70D  |  40 STM  |  18-135 STM  |  55-250 STM  |  320EX  |  PCB Einstein

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
I think the Mark IV will be announced by 2016. Are you willing to wait that long?
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »
I wasn't aware of Magic Lantern (until I just looked at it). I'm curious, is it legit? buggy? In other words, I always worry about third party downloads -- I don't want to mess with my new pristine camera...

Magic Lantern is for me the one reason I keep using Canon, even if Nikon is less expensive and arguably up on par or even "better" these days in a feature-per-dollar comparison. ML is a firmware addon that originated in the video community but has many features for stills shooting. It does have some "killer" features, here's what I use:

* raw histogram and zebras so you see if the shot is really overexposed, Canon histogram is only for jpeg
* auto iso function that also works with flash enabled and has a settable min. aperture in Tv
* helpful overlays in live view like focus peaking so you exactly see what is in focus
* dynamic range boost for up to 14 stops for video & stills for high dynamic range scenes
* up to 60 fps for raw stills for a short time, though at reduced resolution
* focus stacking for macro
* intervalometer for time lapses
* unlimited, automatic bracketing (though your 5d3 already has 7 brackets which should be enough)
* auto-ettr (expose to the right) for optimal exposure (less noise) and clean shadows

... and last not least ...

* 14-bit uncompressed raw video shooting which is a stunning ability for any dslr and makes a big difference for recovering shadows or high dynamic range scenes

Concerning stability: Yes, the 5d3 port is still labeled "alpha", but it's stable as far as there should be no chance to endanger your new camera. The very extreme and also unlikely thing that can potentially happen that the software freezes your camera, which means you simply have to take out the battery and re-insert it, problem solved. After getting to know your general 5d3 you should give it a try if you are the curious kind of person that like to experiment a bit.

On the contrary, the forum title is misleading - the main page is about rumors, but the forum is about photography in general. There are always trashy fun "When will the 7d2 arrive" threads, but actually these rumors make you realize what your current camera does, doesn't and how to work around shortcomings. If you want to discuss technique or your pictures, just add to or open a thread in another subforum like "Canon general", "Lighting" or share your pictures in one of the existing threads.

I found this site very helpful for learning since there are a lot of people with experience and knowledge around who share it, and in contrast to other forums the tone is (nearly :-)) always nice and civil which makes the decisive difference to other forums I have looked at. Plus it's Canon only here, so there's less noise from threads you don't care about unlike in boards that cover all manufacturers.

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
ML for the 5DIII is still in alpha.  That's not as bad as it sounds - it's apparently quite stable. The issue is that installing it sets a 'bootflag' in the camera that cannot be removed (ML is working on it), and tells Canon that you installed ML.  But there's no evidence that Canon cares about that or has denied service for it...yet.

Thank you, I was wondering about that!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »

Magic Lantern is for me the one reason I keep using Canon, even if Nikon is less expensive and arguably up on par or even "better" these days in a feature-per-dollar comparison. ML is a firmware addon that originated in the video community but has many features for stills shooting. It does have some "killer" features, here's what I use:

* raw histogram and zebras so you see if the shot is really overexposed, Canon histogram is only for jpeg
* auto iso function that also works with flash enabled and has a settable min. aperture in Tv
* helpful overlays in live view like focus peaking so you exactly see what is in focus
* dynamic range boost for up to 14 stops for video & stills for high dynamic range scenes
* up to 60 fps for raw stills for a short time, though at reduced resolution
* focus stacking for macro
* intervalometer for time lapses
* unlimited, automatic bracketing (though your 5d3 already has 7 brackets which should be enough)
* auto-ettr (expose to the right) for optimal exposure (less noise) and clean shadows

... and last not least ...

* 14-bit uncompressed raw video shooting which is a stunning ability for any dslr and makes a big difference for recovering shadows or high dynamic range scenes

Concerning stability: Yes, the 5d3 port is still labeled "alpha", but it's stable as far as there should be no chance to endanger your new camera. The very extreme and also unlikely thing that can potentially happen that the software freezes your camera, which means you simply have to take out the battery and re-insert it, problem solved. After getting to know your general 5d3 you should give it a try if you are the curious kind of person that like to experiment a bit.

On the contrary, the forum title is misleading - the main page is about rumors, but the forum is about photography in general. There are always trashy fun "When will the 7d2 arrive" threads, but actually these rumors make you realize what your current camera does, doesn't and how to work around shortcomings. If you want to discuss technique or your pictures, just add to or open a thread in another subforum like "Canon general", "Lighting" or share your pictures in one of the existing threads.

I found this site very helpful for learning since there are a lot of people with experience and knowledge around who share it, and in contrast to other forums the tone is (nearly :-)) always nice and civil which makes the decisive difference to other forums I have looked at. Plus it's Canon only here, so there's less noise from threads you don't care about unlike in boards that cover all manufacturers.

Thank you also, for all the ML info.  It's good to know and I've been wondering about it's stability for awhile, I keep forgetting to ask! 

Is there a general period of time that passes before it comes out of the Alpha stage?

All the best,
Ken  :D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

renegade54

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »

N

Congratulations Noel!!!!  Excellent choice!!!!  I am excited for you!!!!  And YES....I do have a recommendation for you as a new owner of the 5D3....I am also a new 5d3 owner, and honestly, it can be a bit intimidating.  Even if you have the photography side of the equation handled, there is a ton of functionality packed into the 5D3 that you'll need to learn how to use your camera before you can coax the images you see in your mind out of it.  That is why I HIGHLY recommend getting this:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mark-III-Experience-Photography-ebook/dp/B007RGWZVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383605957&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+5d+mark+3+books

It is absolutely fantastic and I cannot recommend it highly enough.  It is an e-book, but I am pretty certain all you need is an Amazon account and a kindle app for your laptop / PC / MAC what have you; I have a laptop and downloaded the kindle app to it and was off and running.  The author takes you step by step through every set-up screen and explains everything so well this should be sold with EVERY 5D3 sold.  I would be LOST without it.  Considering the camera body cost $3,000 or more depending where you bought it, the $10 for this book is in my opinion the single biggest investment you can make in your new Camera.  I hope you get it, and I just know you find it as indispensable as I do. 

Cheers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »