September 16, 2014, 01:05:50 AM

Author Topic: 90EX on a 5D3?  (Read 4455 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 90EX on a 5D3?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »
Kind of off topic but has anyone seen a flash shoe booster piece?  What I mean by this is a 3-4 inch hot shoe piece that has pass through electronics so that a flash can be used with the bigger lenses or even with a macro lens close up.   Pocket wizard puts put a one inch hot shoe booster that is supposed to isolate some buggy electronics, a booster ( and yes I know one can get an off shoe cord but that sort of defeats the point of keeping the accessory count down.) would come in handy in a number of situations.

3-4", no - you'd likely need a bracket and an OC cord.  But there are shorter ones, like this
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
neuro,

Do you happen to know of something like that but with a tilt adjustment in it? I really want one for the ST-E3-RT.

P.S. Following on from my earlier post about the complete lack of power from the 90EX, I used it tried to use it last week as fill on the EOS-M, it is a useless POS, it's only functionality is as an optical remote controller. In M mode at full power it wouldn't give even basic fill.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
neuro,

Do you happen to know of something like that but with a tilt adjustment in it? I really want one for the ST-E3-RT.

Not as a 1-piece unit.  But one possibility would be to use this adapter (they sell via Amazon, too).  I'm thinking you could put some electrical tape on the top (single pin) connector hotshoe of the on-camera piece to block electrical contact, then put the tilting E-TTL shoe on that taped hotshoe.  You'd have the coiled cord there, just connecting the two stacked adapters, but have a locking tilt mechanism with no need for additional brackets, etc.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Kind of off topic but has anyone seen a flash shoe booster piece?  What I mean by this is a 3-4 inch hot shoe piece that has pass through electronics so that a flash can be used with the bigger lenses or even with a macro lens close up.   Pocket wizard puts put a one inch hot shoe booster that is supposed to isolate some buggy electronics, a booster ( and yes I know one can get an off shoe cord but that sort of defeats the point of keeping the accessory count down.) would come in handy in a number of situations.

You might be able to create your own with (1) an off-camera ETTL cord that has a hot-shoe on top of the camera end (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-FSC-5-Off-Camera-Pentax-Cameras/dp/B006NY99MM/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1384183452&sr=8-11&keywords=canon+ettl+cord) and (2) a short magic arm (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Camgeeker-Articulating-Friction-Mounts-Monitor/dp/B007RBME2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384183580&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+arm).  Put the cable on the camera, put the cold foot of the magic arm on top of the camera end of the cable, screw the other end of the magic arm into the threaded base of the other end of the cable, then attach the small flash to the end of the cable.  Don't know if you'd need electrical tape on the cold foot to shield the shoe on top of the flash cable, but it couldn't hurt.  I've never done this or used these particular products, but the thought had occurred to me.  This will only work with a small flash, 90EX or 270EX.

Also, when using the 90EX as a master, be aware that it will NOT fire fill flash.  It will only trigger your off camera flashes.  If I already had a 600EXRT, I'd just get the ST-E3-RT for off camera.  Canon will be releasing a 430EX-RT at some point, and I'm personally hoping for a 270EX-RT equivalent as well. 
Canon 6d, t1i, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
neuro,

Not as a 1-piece unit.  But one possibility would be to use this adapter (they sell via Amazon, too).  I'm thinking you could put some electrical tape on the top (single pin) connector hotshoe of the on-camera piece to block electrical contact, then put the tilting E-TTL shoe on that taped hotshoe.  You'd have the coiled cord there, just connecting the two stacked adapters, but have a locking tilt mechanism with no need for additional brackets, etc.

Thanks for that Neuro, worth a look.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »