December 18, 2014, 02:35:21 AM

Author Topic: Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?  (Read 8579 times)

Chris primadona

Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »
It's so frustrating seeing everyone praying for their new 5d/7d/60d/ti etc!.
I find myself in a hard place right now, I'm an owner of a 1d mkIII and it's getting close to the time for an upgrade. The pro body is the only choice for me as I need/use the pro features of the 1 series.
My choices are the 1ds mkIII (its basicly the exact same camera as mine, but a slightly larger sensor, more mp and half the framerate) or the 1d mkIV that gives me a few more mp, a tiny improvment in low light noise and a better lcd screen for 2x-3x the price that my current body is worth and its not FF.
I really think Canon need to push the development of this new 1 series before they look at any of their other lineup!. Their only pro body full frame camera is older than my middle aged pet dog! I really am waiting as patiently as I possibly can for the new 1 series full frame camera and I'm losing some hair over it!  :'(
If I never had so much money invested in glass I would probably be looking at entry level medium format cameras by now.

A few release dates so you can see where I'm coming from...
1ds mkIII Aug 2007 (update it now!)
5d mkII Sep 2008 (not very old, but sure update it after the 1 series)
7d Sep 2009 (whats actually wrong with the current 7d?)

canon rumors FORUM

Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »

photogaz

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photogaz
Re: Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:47:50 AM »
Ofcourse you're not the only one.  Any 1Ds or 1D owner isn't going to be excited about a 5D Mark III as there will be certain things that will still be a downgrade.

People interested in the 5d Mark III are Mark I, Mark II and 7D owners looking for an upgrade.  Personally, I think we'll see a 1Ds upgrade before the 5D Mark III.

alipaulphotography

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:56:08 AM »
You are one of few - put it that way.

I have never needed high frame rate. In my eyes, photography is all about good timing and judgement. I treat my 5D like a film camera, one shot at a time, manual focus, I don't use the LCD screen and rely on experience and a light meter. I would rather shoot film infact if development costs weren't so high for shooting hundreds of photos at weddings.

We'll see a new body all in good time, but until then we can all work on our ability to read the light, composition, anticipation, timing.

Chris primadona

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
You are one of few - put it that way.

I have never needed high frame rate. In my eyes, photography is all about good timing and judgement. I treat my 5D like a film camera, one shot at a time, manual focus, I don't use the LCD screen and rely on experience and a light meter. I would rather shoot film infact if development costs weren't so high for shooting hundreds of photos at weddings.

We'll see a new body all in good time, but until then we can all work on our ability to read the light, composition, anticipation, timing.

I understand what you are saying and agree with your philosophy, but maybe you missed my reasoning. High framerate for me is nice to have under some circumstances but not the main point of my needing a pro body. Things like viewfinder coverage, weatherproofing, sync speed, dual memory cards, 1/3 step increments, cross type af points, 3 stop exposure comp, voicenotes attached to images, shutter life, battery life, start-up time etc are important for me. I'm not a "spray and pray" type of photographer but I do appreciate having the right tool in my hand and unfortunately for my wallet, its not a 7d or 5d. I'm really hoping for an announcement soon and a new pro product available to buy before next summer.

Canon 14-24

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:19 AM »
I'm fine with the bodies out, just give me a canon 14-24 lens already!

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:42:11 AM »
It's so frustrating seeing everyone praying for their new 5d/7d/60d/ti etc!.

I think I'm about the only one here who actually likes the 5D Mark II (I just picked one up) and isn't in a hurry to dump it for the 5D Mark III (never mind the fact that we still don't know anything about the Mark III and therefore aren't really in a position to decide whether the upgrade is a good idea). Sure it could have more autofocus points, but I just use the middle one all the time anyway. I suppose there are some who would like to be able to bump the ISO up to 409600. Not me. Camera tech simply isn't on a Moore's law curve, and the 5D Mark II while "old" was ahead of the curve when it came out.

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
  • was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »
I own a 5D2 and a 1V.  I have no intention of replacing either of them anytime soon.  The nice thing about the 1V, it is the pinnicle of Canon's 35mm film camera's, never to be replaced/upgraded.  I got mine 10 years ago and don't ever have to worry about outlaying the money to upgrade it!

Funny to think how the 1V's MSRP was so much at the time (it's still listed a 2k or so); now people think about paying more than that every other year just to have the most current model.  Back in 2001, spending $2100 on a camera was a huge splurge.
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:49:13 AM »

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:03 AM »
I couldnt care less about a 5DIII myself... I'm waiting for the next 1 Serie body and nothing else.

Funny to think how the 1V's MSRP was so much at the time (it's still listed a 2k or so); now people think about paying more than that every other year just to have the most current model.  Back in 2001, spending $2100 on a camera was a huge splurge.

Back in the days you have to spend a fortune in film too :)

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
I couldnt care less about a 5DIII myself... I'm waiting for the next 1 Serie body and nothing else.

Back in the days you have to spend a fortune in film too :)

@$7.00 per roll of 36 of E6 and a similar amount to process we are talking about $0.40 per transparency that does not even count the cost of having the slide printed!
1v HS, 5D3, 60 Da, 40D (IR), G1-X, 17-40L, 24-70L (Mk II), 24-105L, 70-200L (2.8 Mk 1), 24 TS-E L (Mk 1), 45 TS-E, 50 1.2L, 100 L Macro -- CPS Gold Membership

Tarrum

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
And the worse thing is, people are acting like "I need the 5D MK III so where is it". Jeez, Canon doesn't owe you anything, and just because you said you need it it wont make much of a difference.

This is a business, not making all of you happy - sure a little bit of that is involved but come on.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:08:36 AM »
i take my images and not the camera... so not fussed at all about a mk3.....  i want a lighter mirrorless model, beyond that, no fussed

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »
And the worse thing is, people are acting like "I need the 5D MK III so where is it". Jeez, Canon doesn't owe you anything, and just because you said you need it it wont make much of a difference.

This is a business, not making all of you happy - sure a little bit of that is involved but come on.

you seem to forget that for some of us photography is our job. and is normal that we want new improved tools to make our job a little bit easier or better.
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

sb

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »
Chris, it sounds like 1DMk3 is actually still the perfect camera for you. Why do you feel that it's time for an upgrade if your camera does everything you want?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:40 AM »
Millions of people are not interested in a 5D3.  My mother doesn't even know what that is.  For any of us to declare we are not interested in the 5D3 whilst discussing it on this site is *interesting*.

gferdinandsen

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Millions of people are not interested in a 5D3.  My mother doesn't even know what that is.  For any of us to declare we are not interested in the 5D3 whilst discussing it on this site is *interesting*.

LOL.  Actually billions of people have no interest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »