April 17, 2014, 12:48:23 PM

Author Topic: Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?  (Read 7708 times)

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
Re: Am I the only person who isn't interested in a 5d mkIII?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
  I'm just getting back into Photography, after a 10 year hiatus. Previously I was using a Canon T90, originally purchased in 1987, still have it, still works but I don't use it much as my eyesight doesn't allow me to focus at acceptable levels with manual lenses. So I've decided to jump on the digital bandwagon. I'm currently renting a 7D from my brother while waiting for the 5D3 or 1Ds4.

I really don't want to give up the depth of field that a FF allows. I had toyed with the idea of getting the 7D, but when comparing equivalent lenses, bodies and prices I just couldn't justify it. A 7D with a 24-70 f/2.8L will give damn near the same focal length and depth of field as a 5D Mark II with a 24-105 f/4L.

The price difference between the two @ B&H is only $300 (priced before the rebate was available). So the 7D really wouldn't be saving me that much over a 5D2 bundled with the 24-105mm f/4L. With so little price difference and no FF, that nixes the 7D.

The first problem I have with justifying the price of the 5D2 is that the auto focus is barely adequate, if dpreview is to be believed. The second is that it's due for a refresh, literally, any day now. I can't justify dropping $2500 on a camera body that is at the end of it's production cycle and hasn't been significantly reduced in price over those 3 years.  Realistically the 5D2 should be selling for less than the 7D at this point. The only advantage the 5D2 holds is a FF sensor with a slight bump in Mega Pixels, in every other measure it is inferior to the 7D, I would be very surprised if the  5D2 isn't costing canon less to produce than the 7D.

Being that I'm looking for a FF, the 1Ds Mark III falls in the same camp as the 5D2, the price is too high for a Body that is at the end of its production cycle. So you see, some of us are really getting annoyed at the extended wait for the 5D3 or the 1Ds4. If the 1D4 were full frame we wouldn't be having this discussion, as I'd have already bought it.

TL;DR - Need a full frame for depth of field, can't justify purchasing a 1Ds3 or 5D2 at current prices because they are at the end of their production cycle.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:22:48 AM by Wrathwilde »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »

Speed

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »
  The only advantage the 5D2 holds is a FF sensor with a slight bump in Mega Pixels, in every other measure it is inferior to the 7D, I would be very surprised if the  5D2 isn't costing canon less to produce than the 7D.

I believe the 5D2 is actually superior to the 7D in all areas but auto focus & burst rate.  The 5D slays the 7D at high isos.  I employ shooters with 7Ds & their images are definitely lower quality & noisier even at lower isos.

Personally I'm waiting patiently for the new 1DS but as the wife needs one too I can hold out for another couple of months.  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:32:30 AM by Speed »

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
I believe the 5D2 is actually superior to the 7D in all areas but auto focus & burst rate.  The 5D slays the 7D at high isos.  I employ shooters with 7Ds & their images are definitely lower quality & noisier even at lower isos.

Personally I'm waiting patiently for the new 1DS but as the wife needs one too I can hold out for another couple of months.  :)

I think that a fair assessment .  Part of the issue with these camera lines is there is always a degree of overlap.  In many ways, I find that the 7D is a better Sports/Action camera because of the AF and burst, but if you are doing anything in low-light or requiring detail, the 5D2 will deliver more. 

I would also generally expect that the better camera delivers a potentially better image and FF vs Crop may be all that it takes in the end as well to some of the quality/ISO performance. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
  The only advantage the 5D2 holds is a FF sensor with a slight bump in Mega Pixels, in every other measure it is inferior to the 7D, I would be very surprised if the  5D2 isn't costing canon less to produce than the 7D.

The 7D has a better metering system, better weather sealing, a 100% viewfinder, a better rear LCD, and a shorter shutter lag in addition to the faster frame rate.  There are some additional conveniences, such as the electronic level, more user-customizable options for the buttons, and the transmissive LCD that allows a grid display in the viewfinder without a focusing screen change.

The bottom line is that these are cameras intended for different primary purposes.  In the 1-series lines, the 1Ds and 1D have different intended uses, and the 5DII is the low-cost version of the 1Ds, while the 7D is the low-cost version of the 1D. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
  The only advantage the 5D2 holds is a FF sensor with a slight bump in Mega Pixels, in every other measure it is inferior to the 7D, I would be very surprised if the 5D2 isn't costing canon less to produce than the 7D.

Sorry, I wasn't exactly clear in what I meant. I was thinking specifically about the technology packed into the 7D as being superior to the 5D2, when I wrote the "every other measure" line. Yes, I'm aware of the superior low light performance the FF sensor gives, my point was that the supporting processors and circuitry in the 7D are more advanced than that of the 5D2 when the image sensors are taken out of the comparison.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »
  The first problem I have with justifying the price of the 5D2 is that the auto focus is barely adequate, if dpreview is to be believed.

I'd take that with a grain of salt.  there are a ton of people out shooting with the 5DII in all sorts of applications -- including wildlife, sport, and motorsport.  while it can certainly be improved a lot, "barely adequate" is misstating it quite a bit.

Chris primadona

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
Oh and the update for your camera is already here, and you are not interested.  So... why be so frustrated?
I need full frame on a weathersealed pro body at this point. The only "upgrade" for me is the 4 or 5 year old 1ds mkIII and thats a sidegrade or even a downgrade in some areas and is well beyond its product cycle. The 1dmkIV is maybe a slight upgrade from what I currently own, but it's not full frame so not worth the stop-gap. I really hope to see something new soon as I have some savings tucked away for a new body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »