December 20, 2014, 05:22:22 PM

Author Topic: Unsharp Pictures - Canon service  (Read 1516 times)

Absolutebeginner

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Unsharp Pictures - Canon service
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
Hello!

After suffering from an stroke, my Grandfather gave me his photographical equipment. He has 3 bodies and a lot of lenses, that are registered at CPS-Service from Canon.
The equipment has not been used for about 2 years.
My problem is, that the photos are a unsharp. The Canon 7D has an Autofocus adjustment. When I turn it on the +20 maximum, the pictures get visibly sharper, but not sharp enough.
A friend of mine told me to send it to the CPS store at Canon (using my Grandfathers number).

Now my question:
Does the CPS store adjust the AF? Should I send the lenses there too?
Does anybody know, how much this costs? I live in the South of Bavaria, near Salzburg, so sending it to an Austrian Canonshop would be possible too.

Much thanks for your advice
J├╝rgen
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:45:07 AM by Absolutebeginner »

canon rumors FORUM

Unsharp Pictures - Canon service
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Unsharp Pictures - Canon service
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »
Congrats on your windfall, sorry about the way you acquired your booty however.

The best bet is to send body with lens together to Canon so they can calibrate both.  In order to get best pic, each lens must be calibrated to each body.  If you have to take AFMA to 20 and it is still soft, there is something wrong with the lens most likely, and that will need to be fixed.

You may call or email Canon for an estimate, and also, get current with CPS which will get you a discount for shipping and repairs.  Still, likely much cheaper than getting new gear.  Be sure to check out after repair, as they don't always get things spot on every time.

Best of luck.

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »
You can send the lens to the CPS facility that his account is with.  They will charge you, its probably not free.
Canon will not just calibrate a lens to a body.  If the body is off, that will not fix the issue, since the lens would than be off on every other body.

If your body is off, they will adjust the body.  If your lens is off, they will adjust the lens to a calibrated body, hopefully your newly adjusted body.

There are many possibilities for the blurred image, including user error, it can be difficult to sort them out.

Generally, if only one lens has a blurry image, and your other lenses focus accurately on the body, it isn't necessary to send in the body.  Just have the lens repaired / calibrated. 

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:16 AM »
Are the lenses canon or another brand? If they are sigma for example you may find it easier sending the combo to sigma but if all images are unsharp  with +20 afma I would suspect the body

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Are the lenses canon or another brand? If they are sigma for example you may find it easier sending the combo to sigma but if all images are unsharp  with +20 afma I would suspect the body
You can't register non Canon lenses at CPS.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »