April 24, 2014, 11:17:41 PM

Author Topic: Original boxes - to keep or not to keep? That is the question.  (Read 3536 times)

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
Re: Original boxes - to keep or not to keep? That is the question.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
Positive benefits of keeping packaging.

1. Less packaging material will be needed when you resell it. And the original box packaging is highly compact and might reduce shipping costs.

2. Packaging (or a receipt) will suggest that it's not stolen.

3. Keeping the packaging also makes it more likely to retain peripheral items such as battery covers, viewfinder covers, manuals in other languages, cables, etc.

4. The person you sell it to will also reap all of these same potential benefits of having the original packaging.

At some point, most of my camera gear will eventually be sold. I tend to think of body and lens packaging as being worth about $35-50 each. You better believe I'm gonna find a space somewhere to store $300-400 worth of packaging

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
I wanted to get some views on the forum about whether there is much benefit in keeping original packaging - mainly with a view to influencing resale value. 

For lenses, these are unlikely to get sold, as they have a much longer period from purchase to replacement, but that is generally less true for bodies.  As a result, my thinking is that there may be some benefit in keeping the original boxes from bodies, but not from lenses.

Any thoughts?

WRONG!

Especially keep it for the lenses. It matters more for lenses than bodies even. You get more value for sure. People like to have the original boxes and they were also designed to take shipping abuse and help offer a lot of extra shipping protection which also makes buyers more willing to bid high.

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
On the contrary, having the original packaging suggests that you're the legitimate owner, as opposed to having stolen the gear from someone on the street or out of their car, hotel room, etc.

This is exactly why especially on Craigslist and Ebay 2nd hand. Matching serial #s on the lens/camera and the box w/ blank warranty card, and if you have the original receipt an extra bonus.

To prevent the reselling and purchasing of stolen goods, plus when you sell it helps with the shipping of the camera/lens! Keep the original packaging!

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »
From my experience in Britain the original box adds about 10% to the second hand value.

Nice to see a quantification.

Where I was heading was that I will probably keep the boxes for bodies, but not lenses, as the lenses are likely to be kept for at least 10 years or more.

Wrong way to think. In fact, some people thought like that way back when the 50mm 1.0L came out and now the box itself, with no lens, supposedly will sell for a couple hundred!

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »
Couple of different takes on this.

1. I've always been suspicious of anyone selling stuff with the original packaging. It suggests to me they did not intend to keep it to begin with. Perhaps they're running a buy/sell business on the side or it's just a wheeler-dealer.

I've never heard that from anyone else. I've heard the opposite plenty of times though.

Otara

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »
That photo above makes the point IMO - a 70-200mm sure.  A 50mm 1.8 or other consumer grade lenses?  Not so much unless you have storage space galore.  Also unless you can show the lens is in very good condition, it probably wont be much help either.

So  it depends on what it is, I still have my 40D box, but I doubt its going to get me much extra given its had a pretty hard life as well as getting on a bit.

Otara

YuengLinger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
If you have space why not?

How could there be any controversy? 

Only problem with a couple of my boxes is the missing UPC sticker, which I cut out for the silly mail-in rebate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
I buy and sell lots of lenses and cameras.  Having the original box not only adds to the resale value, it sells faster as well.

I always wonder when there is no box if its stolen, or if its a refurb.  In some cases, there is a good reason for a used lens not having a box, but not often.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
I buy and sell lots of lenses and cameras.  Having the original box not only adds to the resale value, it sells faster as well.

I always wonder when there is no box if its stolen, or if its a refurb.  In some cases, there is a good reason for a used lens not having a box, but not often.

+100

mwh1964

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »
KEEP
5D3 | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | 135 L | extender 2X III | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
I keep them tucked away in storage. Its worth the extra resale value if/when you do upgrade.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
I wanted to get some views on the forum about whether there is much benefit in keeping original packaging - mainly with a view to influencing resale value. 

For lenses, these are unlikely to get sold, as they have a much longer period from purchase to replacement, but that is generally less true for bodies.  As a result, my thinking is that there may be some benefit in keeping the original boxes from bodies, but not from lenses.

Any thoughts?
I keep everything including sale receipt - lenses + bodies, even PS cameras. Resale value is higher when you have all these.

Ditto.  I keep boxes for all kinds of things.  Stereos, cameras, etc.  In general, if it's worth more than $100 and I think I'll be selling it someday, I keep the box protected/covered in the attic.

I look at it this way.  When I buy used, (and I buy used a lot), the seller having all the paperwork, packing, box, manuals, etc tells me that they are like me and are hopefully discriminating, responsible and they take good care of their toys.  I rarely buy a $1000+ used lens from someone who hasn't saved the box unless it's one hell of a deal.  (Most sellers are not good packers either.)  OTOH, buying from someone without the box might just indicate that the item sits in a pile of clothes on the floor or on top of a dresser somewhere gathering dust.  Who knows?  I just know that in my experience with a lot of people over my life, people with personalities that keep boxes typically take better care of their stuff than the people that toss boxes.  The box tossing type folks I knew in my youth were the same ones that spent a lot of time pawning their stuff to pay the rent.  (No offense intended to anyone.)

Keeping the box indicates the seller planned to sell something?  Come on.  Everything gets sold someday.  There's no question most of my stuff will get sold someday, even if it's at my estate sale.  Passing it on to the next owner in good condition with the same box and protection I received it in just makes good sense and it does increase the resale price.  At the very least, it sets my boxed item apart/above the competing items that are being sold at the time.  It sends the message to the buyer that I take care of my stuff and I want it to be sold with the same care so the next buyer can continue to take good care of it.

So like most folks on this forum, keep the boxes and use them when you are ready to sell to increase the price and likelihood you will sell it.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »

Any thoughts?
I keep everything including sale receipt - lenses + bodies, even PS cameras. Resale value is higher when you have all these.

Ditto.  I keep boxes for all kinds of things.  Stereos, cameras, etc.  In general, if it's worth more than $100 and I think I'll be selling it someday, I keep the box protected/covered in the attic.

I look at it this way.  When I buy used, (and I buy used a lot), the seller having all the paperwork, packing, box, manuals, etc tells me that they are like me and are hopefully discriminating, responsible and they take good care of their toys.  I rarely buy a $1000+ used lens from someone who hasn't saved the box unless it's one hell of a deal.  (Most sellers are not good packers either.)  OTOH, buying from someone without the box might just indicate that the item sits in a pile of clothes on the floor or on top of a dresser somewhere gathering dust.  Who knows?  I just know that in my experience with a lot of people over my life, people with personalities that keep boxes typically take better care of their stuff than the people that toss boxes.  The box tossing type folks I knew in my youth were the same ones that spent a lot of time pawning their stuff to pay the rent.  (No offense intended to anyone.)

Keeping the box indicates the seller planned to sell something?  Come on.  Everything gets sold someday.  There's no question most of my stuff will get sold someday, even if it's at my estate sale.  Passing it on to the next owner in good condition with the same box and protection I received it in just makes good sense and it does increase the resale price.  At the very least, it sets my boxed item apart/above the competing items that are being sold at the time.  It sends the message to the buyer that I take care of my stuff and I want it to be sold with the same care so the next buyer can continue to take good care of it.

So like most folks on this forum, keep the boxes and use them when you are ready to sell to increase the price and likelihood you will sell it.

How do you guys keep the boxes? I take out the packing material, collapse them and store them folded down ... I'm not exactly short of space by my wife might just notice  ;)

When I'm selling a lens, I usually pack the lens in lots of bubble wrap and use additional packing material to stuff the empty space in the box.
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
How do you guys keep the boxes? I take out the packing material, collapse them and store them folded down

I just store them intact, with the packing material inside them. 

Are you saying you discard the custom-molded sytrofoam inserts, etc.?  That would seem to defeat the purpose of keeping the packaging, which comprises more than just the box.  If you sold me a lens listing it as original box included, but didn't have the packing material...technically, it wouldn't be deceptive, but I'd not be happy about it. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
How do you guys keep the boxes? I take out the packing material, collapse them and store them folded down

I just store them intact, with the packing material inside them. 

Are you saying you discard the custom-molded sytrofoam inserts, etc.?  That would seem to defeat the purpose of keeping the packaging, which comprises more than just the box.  If you sold me a lens listing it as original box included, but didn't have the packing material...technically, it wouldn't be deceptive, but I'd not be happy about it.

I guessed so but as I said in my earlier post, my wife might notice and that's a risk I'm not willing to take ;)
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »