October 26, 2014, 12:00:42 AM

Author Topic: NEW - Sony FF mirrorless cameras + new lenses to support  (Read 13287 times)

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: NEW - Sony FF mirrorless cameras + new lenses to support
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
The problem with Sony has been poor customer support to a extreme.  A 2-3 month turnaround for repairs is not something I'd ever buy into.  Then, they have also dropped support entirely for items that didn't sell well, even entire product lines.  This hasn't happened yet with mirrorless cameras, but I don't recall seeing any new ff lenses since they dropped ff DSLR bodies.  Owners are possibly never going to see upgrades.  I guess buying a throw away P&S camera is fine, but spending large amounts on a system that they will drop at the tip of the hat does not appeal to me.

these are some of the reasons why I will not pre-order a Sony A7 or A7r. My hope is, that they'll sell well enough to really hurt Canon and force them to come up with everything that would normally have gone into a 5D IV ... in a small mirrorless box. At a very reasonable price. That's the one I'm really after, actually. ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »

nWmR12

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
New here, been lurking.
So I guess I just dont get the full frame mirrorless excitment!
My thought is small mirrorless body, APS-C sensor, small light weight lenses, decent lens speed.
Full Frame sensor means fast lenses are BIG lenses! Not really conducive for light weight travel kits.
Enjoying my full frame 6D and multiple L lenses, but they are heavy!

I would love to have a FF "small" kit, even with my DSLR system, just for taking around daily. The advantages I see are that you have the FF look, which is one of the things I like about FF and IQ. Crop was never exciting for me, then again it has been years since I have used one extensively. Also they don't necessarily have to be big lens, i.e Leica M. Another thing even if weight was only slightly less, something less obtrusive would be so much more welcomed when traveling.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
We might be the only two here

Maybe...   ;)

I am interested to see how the phase AF of the A7 performs (the A7R supposedly won't have it).

Until I see real spec...phase AF seems to be a better choice for me.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
New here, been lurking.
So I guess I just dont get the full frame mirrorless excitment!
My thought is small mirrorless body, APS-C sensor, small light weight lenses, decent lens speed.
Full Frame sensor means fast lenses are BIG lenses! Not really conducive for light weight travel kits.
Enjoying my full frame 6D and multiple L lenses, but they are heavy!

Have you ever shoot with RX1?

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-full-size-images-of-the-a7-and-a7r-cameras-with-lenses/

Sony FF-mirrorless - almost here, finally! Compact and halfway affordable.
Ugly as hell on the outside.
Inside rather interesting - 24 MP PDAF-sensor with AA-filter and 36 MP Sensor without AA-filter. Next gen from Nikon D600 and D800. Only thing really missing is 5-axis in-body image-stabilizer. And tilt-only display rather than fully articulated LCD is a PITA. But let's see, what they will offer in terms of handling and IQ.

If good, it will hopefully hit and hurt Canon and Nikon in a really bad way.

It looks good to me. The most important thing now is body size. I have a feeling it's slightly bigger than RX1.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
It looks good to me. The most important thing now is body size. I have a feeling it's slightly bigger than RX1.
of course it will be slightly larger than a RX-1 body. The A7/R have a NEX-grip glued on up front and a Oly OMD-1 pyramidal hump on top. :-)
But it is smaller than a Leica M. And no mechanical "Messy-Sucher".  And cost is only a third. :-)

Here is an image comparison between the A7 and Leica M made by Vaclav (Thanks!). It’s a photoshop work and the A7 carries the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 ZM lens

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/short-news-secret-code-to-save-25-on-the-a7-a7r-sigma-announces-24-105mm-a-mount-lens/

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
of course it will be slightly larger than a RX-1 body. The A7/R have a NEX-grip glued on up front and a Oly OMD-1 pyramidal hump on top. :-)
But it is smaller than a Leica M. And no mechanical "Messy-Sucher".  And cost is only a third. :-)

Here is an image comparison between the A7 and Leica M made by Vaclav (Thanks!). It’s a photoshop work and the A7 carries the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 ZM lens

I just saw this and this is why I want one NOW. I will pre-order it with 50mm f1.8: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-a7-vs-leica-m9-vs-canon-5d-size-comaprison-by-vaclav-mach/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:39:31 PM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »

JohnnyT

• SX60 HS
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
Dylan777 writes: Have you ever shoot with RX1?
No, and it is not an interchangeable lens camera, whats your point?

"Here is an image comparison between the A7 and Leica M made by Vaclav (Thanks!). It’s a photoshop work and the A7 carries the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 ZM lens

I'm liking the looks of that comparison, where are the long lenses?

G15, EOS M, 6D, Some L glass

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
Dylan777 writes: Have you ever shoot with RX1?
No, and it is not an interchangeable lens camera, whats your point?

"Here is an image comparison between the A7 and Leica M made by Vaclav (Thanks!). It’s a photoshop work and the A7 carries the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 ZM lens

I'm liking the looks of that comparison, where are the long lenses?

My point is.... there is 35mm sensor built in tiny chassis.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:01:58 PM by Dylan777 »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »
Let's talk honestly. To be small, you need a lens also small. This leads us to two options: ??? Lenses truly small (and very limited) like 40mm pancake, or F4-5.6 zoom... :-[ I'm not excited about either option. I imagine that the scarce supply of compatible lenses is a problem that will not be solved in less than two years. Yet it seems that Sony NEX has the best balance between size and image quality.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:31:49 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
The problem with Sony has been poor customer support to a extreme.  A 2-3 month turnaround for repairs is not something I'd ever buy into.  Then, they have also dropped support entirely for items that didn't sell well, even entire product lines.  This hasn't happened yet with mirrorless cameras, but I don't recall seeing any new ff lenses since they dropped ff DSLR bodies.  Owners are possibly never going to see upgrades.  I guess buying a throw away P&S camera is fine, but spending large amounts on a system that they will drop at the tip of the hat does not appeal to me.
+1000000000000000

As a past user of the Olympus 4/3 cameras (4/3, not micro 4/3), I have been stung by having bought into a dead-end system..... With no warning the system ended.... no more new bodies, no more lenses, nothing said by Olympus.... just silence...  This is why I would only consider Canon or Nikon as a system now... and I went with Canon because of the glass...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
What interests me more is the RX10.
"RX10:
- 1 inch sensor camera
- fixed 24-200mm f/2.8 constant aperture lens
- $1298"
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »
As a past user of the Olympus 4/3 cameras (4/3, not micro 4/3), I have been stung by having bought into a dead-end system..... With no warning the system ended.... no more new bodies, no more lenses, nothing said by Olympus.... just silence...  This is why I would only consider Canon or Nikon as a system now... and I went with Canon because of the glass...

Don't count your chickens. I was a heavy Canon FD user the day they walked away and stranded me, with not so much as an adapter. Olympus treated you better than that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:02:46 PM by tnargs »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:55 PM »

Don't count your chickens. I was a heavy Canon FD user the day they walked away and stranded me, with not so much as an adapter. Olympus treated you better than that.
[/quote]

The FD mount dates back to before camera electronics and had no way to accommodate autofocus. In 1987 they introduced the Electro-Focus mount (EF) and incorporated into it the electrical signals and power feeds required in the "digital age" of photography. At this point in time they p****d off a lot of users, but unfortunately for them, the world was changing from manual lenses to electronic lenses... the market for manual lenses was dropping like a stone and the electronic lens market was the future.

To continue on, the decision was made to design the new lens system (EF) rather than trying to modify the old system (FD), with a view on long term needs. Since the flange distances were similar, this meant that the only possible adaptors would involve optical elements.... A few very expensive lenses were shipped back to Canon to be modified for the new mount, but for most lenses the cost of modifications would have been worth more than the lens, so most lenses became orphans.

As well, part of the transition from one mount to the other seems to have involved upgrading the optical qualities of the lenses.... For instance, I have an FD mount 800F5.6 lens at work and I am positive that my 70-200 zoom lens plus tele-converter out-resolves it....

The next "revolution" to be expected in Canon-land is mirrorless.... when that happens, flange distances will decrease further and we can expect the EF mount to slowly die out as less and less cameras are made to use the mount. There will probably be a FF version of the EF-M mount that emerges at that time.... and similar to with the EF-M mount, there will probably be an EF to EF-FFmirrorless mount adaptor. I would expect the same thing to happen in Nikon-land as well.... but the ease of making a mechanical adaptor for either system will save all the old lenses this time.
The best camera is the one in your hands

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
It would be interesting to know, of those here who are saying they would buy the new Sony....

[1] Would it be a supplementary camera, or your main camera?

[2] If it would be your main camera, what system would you be moving from? FF DSLR? APS_C DSLR? Smaller mirrorless?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »