October 22, 2014, 02:36:54 AM

Author Topic: NEW - Sony FF mirrorless cameras + new lenses to support  (Read 13228 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: NEW - Sony FF mirrorless cameras + new lenses to support
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
My thought is, I have one full frame body, and multiple wonderfull L lenses whose mass equal 2 or 3 time that of my fullframe body.
I'd love to carry them all, but oh my aching back!
For a travel kit I'd like lighter lesses of equal quality to my L glass, as well as the lighter body.
Also smaller lenses typically cost less, less glass, less metal, hence less mass.

They can be smaller only when wide (no retrofocal), and their wide lenses are really smaller. At longer FL's and same fast apertures, the only ting you might be missing is the AF, which is hardly a plus.

Still, that looks like a very interesting camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
Jeeze ...

Anyone who says FF lenses are big... has not been around the rangefinder lenses.  You can get TINY 21mm, 24mm, 28mm.... even 35 and 50mm lenses.  Once you get to about 75mm... they grow a little, but are still tiny compared to SLR lenses.  The 90mm Summicron ApoAsph (arguably one of the sharpest lenses ever produced) is about the same size (more or less) as the SLR counterpart 85/1.8.  It weights a bunch more though, and is priced about... ten times more (more or less).

I was sitting at work today, lamenting the vastness of my Leica M bodies and lenses (snobbery), but... I just cannot justify an M9.  If there is a good FF body that I can use... and it can be fit with Leica M lenses via flange adapter, I'd get it.   If not... I can see the lenses and bodies going to a dealer in NY, in trade for something expensive in Canon land.   

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:55 AM »
New here, been lurking.
So I guess I just dont get the full frame mirrorless excitment!
My thought is small mirrorless body, APS-C sensor, small light weight lenses, decent lens speed.
Full Frame sensor means fast lenses are BIG lenses! Not really conducive for light weight travel kits.
Enjoying my full frame 6D and multiple L lenses, but they are heavy!

Actually it ends up with the crop sensor being worse pretty much everywhere. If you put a 50f1.4 on crop, it's still going to collect light a little worse than an 85f2 on full frame, and they end up almost the same size. Then consider that the 85mm lens at f2 is going to be way sharper, and then consider that the full frame sensor inherently collects more detail. Crop sensors are generally just a lose lose situation, except if you can't afford full frame.
The advantage of crop sensors is they're cheap, the same sort of advantages that work in favor of full frame for light gathering actually work against it in manufacturing.
-100% RAW-

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »
Dylan, I knew you'd be excited about this thing!
I have been waiting for this camera for years!!!(probably since the M9 was first announced.)
Unless something crazy happens to dissuade me, i'm almost definitely going to preorder whichever one has better AF. I'm thinking the A7 is better for me as the PDAF should(my thinking, am i right?) be better than the A7r. I'm also more inclined to 24mp instead of 36, and with the A9 probably coming next year, i'm happy to buy the cheaper one now, and then get the true top of the line in a year or so.
I'm thinking of buying the Sony Zeiss 24mm F2 lens. I'm having a hard time figuring out which lenses will have AF functionality.
Dylan and Gino, and others buying this camera, what lenses will you use? will you buy any of the new lenses to use with it?
I'm in China, but i'm in the process of selling my D700, and 24-70. I love love love this camera and lens, but it is just wayyyy to heavy! i'm very excited to have an EOS-M and the Sony A7!!!!
This is also a great return to my Minolta roots. i started out in my high school photography class using an old Minolta, and I am very excited to go back to something small and simple instead of these crazy monster DSLR's that everyone is so in to nowadays. I'm sick of having a heavy backpack and sore shoulders!
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

scott

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 04:50:51 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
It would be interesting to know, of those here who are saying they would buy the new Sony....

[1] Would it be a supplementary camera, or your main camera?

[2] If it would be your main camera, what system would you be moving from? FF DSLR? APS_C DSLR? Smaller mirrorless?

For me, it will be everyday and landscape camera(assuming Sony will release some UWA soon)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
Dylan, I knew you'd be excited about this thing!
I have been waiting for this camera for years!!!(probably since the M9 was first announced.)
Unless something crazy happens to dissuade me, i'm almost definitely going to preorder whichever one has better AF. I'm thinking the A7 is better for me as the PDAF should(my thinking, am i right?) be better than the A7r. I'm also more inclined to 24mp instead of 36, and with the A9 probably coming next year, i'm happy to buy the cheaper one now, and then get the true top of the line in a year or so.
I'm thinking of buying the Sony Zeiss 24mm F2 lens. I'm having a hard time figuring out which lenses will have AF functionality.
Dylan and Gino, and others buying this camera, what lenses will you use? will you buy any of the new lenses to use with it?
I'm in China, but i'm in the process of selling my D700, and 24-70. I love love love this camera and lens, but it is just wayyyy to heavy! i'm very excited to have an EOS-M and the Sony A7!!!!
This is also a great return to my Minolta roots. i started out in my high school photography class using an old Minolta, and I am very excited to go back to something small and simple instead of these crazy monster DSLR's that everyone is so in to nowadays. I'm sick of having a heavy backpack and sore shoulders!

Will start with Sony 50mm f1.8. I'm not big fan of 3rd party, manual focus lenses.

I like to add these:
1. 14, 16 or 17mm for landscape
2. 85mm for portrait

If you look at my signature below, I might end up with just 5D III + 70-200 for shooting moving subject. Will see what Sony has to offer in lenses first.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24-70 II and 70-200 f2.8 IS II. With 2 kids, it just too big to carry around for me. We have annual pass to Disneyland(in Anaheim, CA), my wife and I usually take RX1 and/or Fuji x100s with us. Both of my 5D III and L lenses are stay home. I feel it a waste...

However, when my 5yrs plays soccer, swiming and ballet the 5D III + 70-200 and 135L is killer combo.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:33:47 AM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
I won't be buying into another system. It's use would be limited to me if I can't use my 600rts or the stack of canon glass I already have. Too bad canon isn't as daring as it used to be.

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
I won't be buying into another system. It's use would be limited to me if I can't use my 600rts or the stack of canon glass I already have. Too bad canon isn't as daring as it used to be.

I can't afford 600rts, therefore, I'm going FF + fast primes ;D

I started with 40D + 50 f1.4, 17-55 and 550EX flash. My taste has changed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:50:19 AM by Dylan777 »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
It would be interesting to know, of those here who are saying they would buy the new Sony....
[1] Would it be a supplementary camera, or your main camera?
[2] If it would be your main camera, what system would you be moving from? FF DSLR? APS_C DSLR? Smaller mirrorless?
1) a mirrorless FF-sensor system camera like the Sony A7/R will be my only camera (other than smartphone)
2) Currently Canon 7D + all good EF-S lenses and a few good EF-lenses and a few speedlites. Will definitely have been my last DSLR system and my last APS-C camera. 
Like the new Sony A7/R (as per rumored specs), but don't like Sony at all.

For my photography as amateur/enthusiast I need only one camera system at a time and I don't want to buy, own, store, insure, carry, learn and use more than one camera system in parallel. 

Looking for a small light photographically fully capable FF-sensored mirrorless camera and a small set of "AF-only" lenses. [no manual focus ring, no manual focus gear, no distance window, but weathersealed @ IP67].

Ideally a 24-70/85 f/4.0 IS for street/city/events/general purpose/walkaround, a 20mm/4.0 pancake mainly for landscape/city/architecture, a minimalist pancake 40mm/2.0 for street/people @normal angle, a 85/2.0 pancake for studio/portraits/concerts and a very compact and light tele lens for travel, say a 200mm/4.0 plus 1.4x teleconverter. Plus wireless ETTL flash trigger built into camera and 2 slave speedlites. Entire system for less than the price of a Leica M240 with 50/2.0. That's it. :-)

Since I am most familiar with Canon's UI and prefer it over any other I've touched so far, I am still hoping for Canon to put 5D Mk. IV innards sans mirrorbox and prism into a Sony A7/R-sized body. Plus above mentioned lenses. If such a package comes at reasonable price before my 7D dies or I get too sick and tired of waiting, I'm in. Otherwise I'll buy elsewhere whatever comes closest to my shopping list.

If I had to buy tomorrow, it would be the A7R (preferred) or A7  ... depending on AF performance ... plus 24-70/4 plus EF-adapter. :-) 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:59:19 AM by AvTvM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
For me the real deal with these cameras is the possibility to mount M-lenses using the focus peaking in the EVF. God knows how much I would like to play with those Voigtländer 35/1.2 and 50/1.1 with actual good results. On top of that Sony has the perk of Zeiss primes and zooms with AF.

Interesting timing for such a release too: Canikon has no mirrorless system worth noticing, Fuji seems very deep into their APS-C system, and Panasonic/Olympus/etc are very much into their MFT systems.

Sony is indeed way ahead of the competition.

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
My Fuji X-E1 35mm 1.4 combo convinced me that these cameras can actually be phenomenally good in a small package.
I'm anxious to read reviews of the Sony and see how large the body and lenses are.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

Dylan777

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
My Fuji X-E1 35mm 1.4 combo convinced me that these cameras can actually be phenomenally good in a small package.
I'm anxious to read reviews of the Sony and see how large the body and lenses are.

X-E2 + Fuji 14mm for landscape is one sexy combo. I love the retro looks of Fuji ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »
X-E2 + Fuji 14mm for landscape is one sexy combo. I love the retro looks of Fuji ;)

I've got the 18-55mm and the 60mm macro too. My EF mount Samyang 14mm works great on the fuji with an adapter.
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »

As a past user of the Olympus 4/3 cameras (4/3, not micro 4/3), I have been stung by having bought into a dead-end system..... With no warning the system ended.... no more new bodies, no more lenses, nothing said by Olympus.... just silence...  This is why I would only consider Canon or Nikon as a system now... and I went with Canon because of the glass...

Have you read any of the hoopla re the new Olympus OM-D E-M1?  With an adapter (which is, via rebates, free if you buy it with the camera body) it provides full-functionality for Olympus 4/3 lenses, while the camera is better than any of Olympus's 4/3 bodies.  It's evidently meant to be the continuation of that line of cameras as well as their best Micro 4/3.  Looks appealing to me, at any rate.

But so do the new FF mirrorless Sonys.  The appeal isn't so much the size (it might be a nice upgrade from the Micro 4/3 equipment I have, but it's so good that I'm not sure how important that is) but the fact that they're mirrorless, with all the advantages that come with that.  New, small lenses would be nice, but I'm as interested in trying some of the highly regarded Minolta lenses, which might be a bit awkward to use on a tiny body.  As for Canon, I would be happy enough if they made a 6D- or even 5DIII- size body so I could continue using the EF lenses I like; I don't need a new line of tiny toys, though I guess such things are more likely to sell. 

(And speaking of tiny toys, Panasonic is about to launch a tiny M43 camera with a 24-60mm equiv. zoom lens that looks no more than 1/4 inch thick when attached to the camera and not in use.  Toss in the new sensor technology that Fuji and Panasonic are supposedly working on - which may render FF obsolete - and it all becomes simultaneously confusing, interesting and enticing....)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »