December 21, 2014, 03:42:18 AM

Author Topic: 5dmkiii calib report from FIXATION LONDON doesn't sounds right  (Read 1692 times)

Despman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
5dmkiii calib report from FIXATION LONDON doesn't sounds right
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Hi guys, I need ur suggestions here;
I got a new 5dmarkiii but when I test it with "focal" software and  the canon 50mm 1.4 is front focus, I tried 2 new canon 50mm 1.4, one need dial about +10(varies slightly with distance) or so  the other need dial about +15; I also tried 2 new sigma 50mm 1.4 one need dail >+20 which is out of AFMA range and the other need dail +17; (all tested in good light condition with steady tripod at f1.4 in the distance of 1.5-2.4 meters)
It seems to me it's the camera body need calibrate, so I sent it to FIXATION in London vauxhall and their report says:" reset  functions all appear ok fault may be with lens"--- all 4 new lens shows all need at least >+10 AFMA? Does that sounds normal? I felt that FIXATION didn't check the focus issue of the body properly, what do they mean by saying: "reset function?" I don't need u to reset it as I knew there is a button in the menu that I can reset all to factory settings ,and When i got the camera back from them, all my custom settings with the camera is still there!!!  What exactly did they reset/do? I also don't believe that all the 4 new lens are all front focusing, does it sounds FIXATION did a dodgy job(or actually did nothing?)---please correct me if I'm wrong
Today I sent one canon 50 1.4 one sigma 50 1.4 for them to calibrate since they suggest it's lens fault--- I don't want to sent both the body and lens as I don't want they calibrate the body to suite the lens as I will buy quite a few other lens and I just want get a perfect body and adjust lens accordingly; will interestingly to see what they say when they check the lens, i attached the original body report to them as well;
I got the feeling that the guys at FIXATION may not able to fix my problem, will us guys suggest me sent to canon RCC  when I got my lens back?
Many thx in advance!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:01:01 PM by Despman »

canon rumors FORUM

5dmkiii calib report from FIXATION LONDON doesn't sounds right
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: 5dmkiii calib report from FIXATION LONDON doesn't sounds right
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
If your AFMA is within limits, what else is there to worry about?  The Sigma that was off-scale isn't going to be a lot of use but if the rest deliver useful images I'd say use them.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Despman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »
If your AFMA is within limits, what else is there to worry about?  The Sigma that was off-scale isn't going to be a lot of use but if the rest deliver useful images I'd say use them.

Jim
for that one canon lens with the best results I tested, distance from 1.7-2.2 meter need +8 to +10, distance <1.5meter need +13 to +15, distance > 2.5meter need +15, and I didn't check >2.5 meter as text target is not big enough, the software cannot fint target constanttly; thus I don't think it is useable as it varies a lot to distance, and I haven't test with different Apeture combi yet and think the results may get just worse

tiltshift

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
If lenses didn't need AFMA and needed 0 correction right from factory then AFMA would cease to exist.

but since Canon then gives -20 to 20 to adjust with since I am guessing they feel this is the range that lenses need calibration. If your lenses fall in this range and produce good results I don't see an issue.

If your having issues with bad results or lenses are above or below 20 then I would start to be concerned.

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
My 5d3 body is extremely faulty but it is not the case in this topic. However I have tested 7 or 8  50 1.4s and ALL of them behave similar. All need AFMA od different distances, all have a lot of of focus shift. As I write in a lot of forums,  below reviews etc-that lens cannot be calibrated properly. Those lens are faulty by design and I have really completely no idea why no one mention this in any review. I am 100% sure that's a problem of all 50mm, and it is not connected with AF inconsistency. This lens cannot be calibrated properly with AFMA as well as with service center. I checked a lot of this.

1/ the AFMA on short distance does not solve problem on long distance (completely different values)

2/ on short ( 50cm-1m) distance when stopping down to ie. f4 there is a focus shift therefore the DOF is way off the desired plane

3/ side AF points behave different than center point (it could be a body problem in my case)

Checked with many 50s and all behave the same way.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
Since all lenses are massively front focusing I say it's the
Body that needs calibration.

The reason I send in both lenses and bodies is because they adjust the body to a reference body, and then
The lenses. That way lenses you buy later, that aren't whacked out, will need only slightly adjustment. All of my lenses have only needed -4 to +3 . The 24 L II needed +13 and that's obviously the lens, but it was not a very good AF lens even adjusted correctly. If that is because of the big adjustment or a useless lens, I don't know.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
The guys at Fixation could be right.
Check if you have the latest firmware, (1.2.1) the older can induce the faults you describe.
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
I'd send it to Canon, ask them to calibrate the AF of the camera.
There were no firmware updates to fix front focusing issues.

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »

Jim
for that one canon lens with the best results I tested, distance from 1.7-2.2 meter need +8 to +10, distance <1.5meter need +13 to +15, distance > 2.5meter need +15, and I didn't check >2.5 meter as text target is not big enough, the software cannot fint target constanttly; thus I don't think it is useable as it varies a lot to distance, and I haven't test with different Apeture combi yet and think the results may get just worse

I had a similar problem with my 7D.  Every lens would be one AFMA correction at distance, and a totally different correction at close up.   It seems that things would focus ok at about 4-6 meters or so.   Sent to Canon, got it back in two weeks.  They changed a LOT, including a new card slot, release button, entire focusing unit... something else too, I forget what it is.   Anyway, the camera is good to go now.  My 5Dii runs all my lenses at a little bit of -AFMA correction, maybe... -4 to about -6 or so.  The 7D runs everything at +AFMA by a little less, maybe around +3 to +4.   

If you have doubts, send it, AND the lenses to Canon. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:57 AM »