April 17, 2014, 09:35:23 PM

Author Topic: 6D sensor dust in one month?  (Read 3461 times)

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: 6D sensor dust in one month?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »
Btw: Does it make a difference to set dust auto-cleaning to on, i.e. cleaning on every shutdown or is this about the same effect as manually activating the sensor shake now and again?

In my limited experience ... No difference. The only thing that makes a difference is a manual clean mode with the rocketblower
Light is language!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
From Canon's website - they look & sound pretty similar to me - not sure what the difference could be - the only difference I've heard other than the MP count is the moire is less on the 5DIII video - maybe the low-pass filter differences are why one collect more dust than the other, but who knows?:

5DIII
"The Self Cleaning Sensor Unit featured in the EOS 5D Mark II has been optimized for the new EOS 5D Mark III to deliver even greater dust removal for clearer images. To prevent dust accumulation, the system removes particles adhered to the surface of the infrared absorbing/ultraviolet-blocking glass in a frontward direction by vibrating the glass with ultrasound. The particles are then absorbed by an adsorbent at the bottom of the unit; the unit itself is completely sealed for protection against external contaminants, and its front face of the low-pass filter 1 is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles."

6D
"The Integrated Cleaning System featured in the EOS 6D delivers great dust removal for clearer images. To prevent dust accumulation, the system removes particles on the surface of the glass filter by vibrating the glass ultrasonically. The particles are then absorbed by an adsorbent at the bottom of the unit; the unit itself is completely sealed for protection against external contaminants, and the front face of the low-pass glass filter is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating, making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles."
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
TS-E 24 3.5L II :: Extender 1.4x III | 2x III :: EF-M 22 2 | 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

MartynV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
From Canon's website - they look & sound pretty similar to me - not sure what the difference could be - the only difference I've heard other than the MP count is the moire is less on the 5DIII video - maybe the low-pass filter differences are why one collect more dust than the other, but who knows?:

5DIII
"The Self Cleaning Sensor Unit featured in the EOS 5D Mark II has been optimized for the new EOS 5D Mark III to deliver even greater dust removal for clearer images. To prevent dust accumulation, the system removes particles adhered to the surface of the infrared absorbing/ultraviolet-blocking glass in a frontward direction by vibrating the glass with ultrasound. The particles are then absorbed by an adsorbent at the bottom of the unit; the unit itself is completely sealed for protection against external contaminants, and its front face of the low-pass filter 1 is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles."

6D
"The Integrated Cleaning System featured in the EOS 6D delivers great dust removal for clearer images. To prevent dust accumulation, the system removes particles on the surface of the glass filter by vibrating the glass ultrasonically. The particles are then absorbed by an adsorbent at the bottom of the unit; the unit itself is completely sealed for protection against external contaminants, and the front face of the low-pass glass filter is treated with an anti-dust fluorine coating, making it easier to remove damp or sticky dust particles."

Thanks, does Canon use a more powerful mechanism for vibrating the sensor than for its crop bodies?

MartynV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
Just get a rocket blower, set the camera in cleaning mode (raise the mirror box), and try to blow the dust off yourself.  Should solve 99% of dust issues.

No way - a rocket blower alone won't be sufficient on the long run if you change lenses a lot, it tends to move dust :-) rather than remove it. After a lot of research around CR this is imho the best way to clean your sensor, you can leave out the butterfly if you want to save some $$$:

DSLR Sensor Cleaning (The LensRentals.com Method)

Thanks for the link. Looks like I need to buy a lot of gear to clean the sensor. I'm not sure whether to get the camera professionally cleaned or buy the brush. Where did Visible Dust get the name 'Arctic Butterfly'?

MartynV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
I feel your pain.  I spent over 3 hours retouching sensor dust artifacts out of macro photos for an upcoming book and ALL of them were from my 5DII.  My 5DIII seems to be 100% better and I change lenses a lot outdoors, so I'm surprised to hear that your 6D is having trouble.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps the 5D III is using a more sophisticated sensor cleaning unit or simply that the 6D inherited the 5D II's. I think I'm right to feel disappointed by the amount of dust and requirement to spend money on cleaning products. I particularly like macro photography and look forward to buying your book.

MartynV

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
I feel your pain.  I spent over 3 hours retouching sensor dust artifacts out of macro photos for an upcoming book and ALL of them were from my 5DII.  My 5DIII seems to be 100% better and I change lenses a lot outdoors, so I'm surprised to hear that your 6D is having trouble.

I don't get this - why would there be any reason at all for the 5d3 being better at resisting sensor dust than 5d2 (or 6d)? Btw my 6d also already collected dust, but only the small stuff visible at f11+ ... I really hope this is not a systematic problem.

Hi Marsu42,

How old is your 6D? Did it have sensor dust courtesy of Canon? I wouldn't be surprised if the 6D is using 'hand me downs' from the 5D II.

Martyn

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps the 5D III is using a more sophisticated sensor cleaning unit or simply that the 6D inherited the 5D II's. I think I'm right to feel disappointed by the amount of dust and requirement to spend money on cleaning products. I particularly like macro photography and look forward to buying your book.

I've owned my 6D for over nine months and change lenses quite a bit.  I've not experienced any significant sensor dust issues.  I check the sensor periodically with a loupe and clean with air occasionally.  I have not had to resort to brushes or other cleaning beyond air.  Maybe I've just been lucky?
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks, does Canon use a more powerful mechanism for vibrating the sensor than for its crop bodies?
I have no idea, but I never had any dust issues on my 450D, 550D, 60D, or 7D  (yes, I was a serial upgrader!).  I have yet to clean my 5DIII after a year or so of ownership and have no dust issues at all.  Really.

Also, thank you for your comment on my book.  I'm waiting on some botanists who are helping me with the identification of some of the flowers but hope to have it out in the next couple of weeks.
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
TS-E 24 3.5L II :: Extender 1.4x III | 2x III :: EF-M 22 2 | 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »
Perhaps the 5D III is using a more sophisticated sensor cleaning unit or simply that the 6D inherited the 5D II's.

I don't know about 5d2 or 5d3, but the 6d sensor cleaning is different from my 60d - the 60d is a "one phase system" (shake, open curtain, done) while the 6d does it twice, probably with different intensity(?).

How old is your 6D? Did it have sensor dust courtesy of Canon?

It's only a month old, and the dust wasn't there from the start - but I'm not surprised since I'm changing lenses outdoors a lot and have to admit I'm also not very careful avoiding dust while doing so - that's because I by now know that cleaning a sensor isn't a big issue if you don't want to shoot @f32.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »