July 24, 2014, 05:22:24 AM

Author Topic: Lose or Loose?  (Read 10476 times)

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Lose or Loose?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
Slow day for the canon rumor mill huh?

Can't we just rehash how much DR one actually needs or debate how many megapixels is enough?

C'mon people, you're gonna loose me here!
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »

Orangutan

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
Ya'll got a point their.  Your right we should learn that they're is a difference between the too words.  If we don't let other's no about it than there never going to learn.

And one more thing: dew knot trussed spelt chequers two fix awl yore mist steaks.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

Really though... Grammar flaws kill messages.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:11:05 AM by Dick »
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
Also....There, their, and they're are misused so frequently it's shocking to me.

I think that the people that make these types of spelling errors don't understand how they are perceived by some people.

Accidentally doing it when quickly posting something is one thing, but doing it multiple times in a single sentence or paragraph reveals insight not only into the education levels achieved by the writer, but also into their concern for how they present their work.  In this day an age, you can google search how to correctly use a word, there's no excuse.

When you sit down to write something, you usually have time to get the message communicated correctly, and so for those that don't get it "right", it's laziness, lack of education on the subject, or not caring about the quality of their work....or mostly likely some combination of the three. 

Occasionally we all make mistakes, fine, but repeatedly making a simple mistake is very "telling" of who you are as a person...IMO.

It's a judgmental world we live in.

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Really though... Grammar flaws kill messages.

So if I understand the reference correctly.
The word “your” is used if I really know my s....
And I would use you're when stating my opinion to grammar trolls.
Did I get this correct?

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Now dat's one oiange book, ain't it?

Sorry, couldn't resist being from the true midwest (Indiana). Just be glad that not all of us use apple products (and their extremely poor spell/grammar checker).

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
Ah ! Now I understand where the expression ' A picture's worth a thousand words' comes from

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
Many of us English monoglots admire greatly the non-English speakers' ability to write in our language. There is one misspelling, however, that is becoming the norm in CR: loose for lose. "Loose", with two os means the opposite of tight. E.g., my lens cap is loose and sometimes falls off. The verb you use when you can't find something is "lose", with one o. E.g., I will lose my lens cap if it becomes loose and falls off.

THANK YOU....

One of my pet peeves today when reading forums.

I find, however, the majority of culprits guilty of "loose for lose"....are Americans.

I've just chalked it up to the poor school system we have here, and the general atmosphere that seems to pervade youth, that education really isn't that important.

*grumble*    Now....you kids Get off my lawn!!

:)

cayenne

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Here in Brazil we speak Portuguese. Currently, all countries speaking Portuguese are undergoing an agreement to unify the rules of spelling. I understand English, but not enough to write correctly, then translate by Google, then fix several times. The conjugation of verbs in Portuguese has no equivalent words in English. In English someone can say: I DO. YOU DO. HE DOES. In Portuguese we say:
EU FAÇO
TU FAZES
ELE FAZ
NÓS FAZEMOS
VÓS FAZEIS
ELES FAZEM
Now imagine a verb that represents the hypothetical future, or the past hypothetical...
Also the order of words in the sentence is quite different, and Google Translator looks like the speech of MASTER YODA in the film Star Wars.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
The "greengrocer's apostrophe is the one that gets me. It gets its name from days when vegetable carts were run by immigrants, but nowadays I see mostly native born speakers screwing it up.  It goes like this:  if you have more than one apple or pear, you have apples or pears. Not "apple's" or "pear's".  I get that in business emails from college educated people all the time though.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
Many of us English monoglots admire greatly the non-English speakers' ability to write in our language. There is one misspelling, however, that is becoming the norm in CR: loose for lose. "Loose", with two os means the opposite of tight. E.g., my lens cap is loose and sometimes falls off. The verb you use when you can't find something is "lose", with one o. E.g., I will lose my lens cap if it becomes loose and falls off.

My own complaints are from a broader pop culture context.  I cannot stand misuse of "to" and "too".  Or how about referring to one lady as a "women".  Or how about things that "rock" (usually shoes, a skirt, or a purse)...instead of things that should rock, like music?

I also absolutely hate all the new Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry songs.  I really don't think it's just me.  Their voices have gotten much worse, and the songs themselves are grotesque to the point of absurdity.  Miley's voice sounds like a bullfrog got drunk and then heavily hung over the next morning, and is now attempting to do its best impression of Stevie Nicks, after Nicks smokes an entire field of tobacco...and then Nicks herself is for some insane reason...trying to attempt to mate with a bullfrog.  Imagine such a scenario if you will! 

I can see why neither one of them can keep a man for very long!  A woman's voice needs to be at least somewhat pleasant to listen to on a day-to-day basis!  Yet we are barraged with their music.  ENOUGH...bring back "hair metal"..."new wave"..."punk"...even "grunge rock" at its most depressing...or EVEN PURE 70's DISCO would be far better than the current, complete crap the kids listen to today.  Don't even get me started on "country" or "rap"...!!  And as much as Madonna is widely ridiculed now, in her prime, her music was far better than the best of the best music, since 2000 or so.  At least she worked hard (in between escapades with the likes of dennis rodman-types), and co-wrote much of her own music.  Perry and Miley obviously had a lot of input on writing their own current material, because it sucks!  Their earlier hits apparently had much stronger influence from songwriters who knew what they were doing.

At least someone like "Ke$ha" admits that she and her family are "bat$*** crazy", capitalizes on it, and doesn't pretend her style is the "norm".  But what's scary is, it kind of is becoming the norm!  What sort of Halloween costume would Ke$ha wear?  Boggles the mind.

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »
Is this a STA meeting? (Spelling Trolls Anonymous)

No, it's an STA meeting.  Sorry, could not resist.   :P

The one that I have noticed on the forums recently is the misuse of "advise," instead of "advice."
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

The one that I have noticed on the forums recently is the misuse of "advise," instead of "advice."

Isn't "advise" how the British spell "advice"?  No, maybe not...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

takesome1

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »

This is the first step to recovery, you made it to the meeting. Now put the bottle down.

richyrara

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • www.richandrewsphotography.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Whilst we're on the subject, one thing that really annoys me is how some people 'Could care less', when plainly they mean 'Couldn't care less'.

See here:

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox Small | Large

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »