November 27, 2014, 09:57:58 AM

Author Topic: Lose or Loose?  (Read 12562 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Lose or Loose?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
Is this a STA meeting? (Spelling Trolls Anonymous)

No, it's an STA meeting.  Sorry, could not resist.   :P

The one that I have noticed on the forums recently is the misuse of "advise," instead of "advice."

Isn't "advise" how the British spell "advice"?  No, maybe not...

No, I'd advise you to keep that kind of advice to yourself, or someone may loose off a salvo of abuse, or worse lose interest in the thread, especially if they have only been loosely following it.

'Course actually I don't know nothing about grammar anyway

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 03:05:43 PM »
Is this a STA meeting? (Spelling Trolls Anonymous)

No, it's an STA meeting.  Sorry, could not resist.   :P

The one that I have noticed on the forums recently is the misuse of "advise," instead of "advice."

Isn't "advise" how the British spell "advice"?  No, maybe not...

No, I'd advise you to keep that kind of advice to yourself, or someone may loose off a salvo of abuse, or worse lose interest in the thread, especially if they have only been loosely following it.

'Course actually I don't know nothing about grammar anyway

I'll take that under advizment...

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 05:45:27 PM »
The British English usage is the ending "ice" for the noun and "ise" for the verb. E.g., I would advise you that the advice is to practise the practice of grammar. Americans use "ise" in all cases.

We also use defence but defensive etc. We also use s after y in words like analyse, catalyse, where the US uses yze. The common US usage of the ending "ize" is also correct in British English, as in the US form, but "ise" is more common.

5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
Many of us English monoglots admire greatly the non-English speakers' ability to write in our language. There is one misspelling, however, that is becoming the norm in CR: loose for lose. "Loose", with two os means the opposite of tight. E.g., my lens cap is loose and sometimes falls off. The verb you use when you can't find something is "lose", with one o. E.g., I will lose my lens cap if it becomes loose and falls off.

My own complaints are from a broader pop culture context.  I cannot stand misuse of "to" and "too".  Or how about referring to one lady as a "women".  Or how about things that "rock" (usually shoes, a skirt, or a purse)...instead of things that should rock, like music?

I also absolutely hate all the new Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry songs.  I really don't think it's just me.  Their voices have gotten much worse, and the songs themselves are grotesque to the point of absurdity.  Miley's voice sounds like a bullfrog got drunk and then heavily hung over the next morning, and is now attempting to do its best impression of Stevie Nicks, after Nicks smokes an entire field of tobacco...and then Nicks herself is for some insane reason...trying to attempt to mate with a bullfrog.  Imagine such a scenario if you will! 

I can see why neither one of them can keep a man for very long!  A woman's voice needs to be at least somewhat pleasant to listen to on a day-to-day basis!  Yet we are barraged with their music.  ENOUGH...bring back "hair metal"..."new wave"..."punk"...even "grunge rock" at its most depressing...or EVEN PURE 70's DISCO would be far better than the current, complete crap the kids listen to today.  Don't even get me started on "country" or "rap"...!!  And as much as Madonna is widely ridiculed now, in her prime, her music was far better than the best of the best music, since 2000 or so.  At least she worked hard (in between escapades with the likes of dennis rodman-types), and co-wrote much of her own music.  Perry and Miley obviously had a lot of input on writing their own current material, because it sucks!  Their earlier hits apparently had much stronger influence from songwriters who knew what they were doing.

At least someone like "Ke$ha" admits that she and her family are "bat$*** crazy", capitalizes on it, and doesn't pretend her style is the "norm".  But what's scary is, it kind of is becoming the norm!  What sort of Halloween costume would Ke$ha wear?  Boggles the mind.
For me, singers like Miley Cyrus sell their image and not their music. Today the clip of the song is more viral than the music itself. In the music video of Miley Cyrus "wrecking ball" she appears naked on a wrecking ball. Very hot girl, but very bad music. On the other hand the great band INTERPOL has a song with the same name "wrecking ball" that is simply wonderful. Search on Youtube "wrecking ball-Miley Cyrus" by the sexy image, and "wrecking ball-INTERPOL" by the great music.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:29:31 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 07:09:14 PM »
"Loosed" is a perfectly good English word.  Many arrows were loosed by English bowmen at Agincourt.  I suppose that a large number of those arrows were also lost.

If I loose some money, does it actually fly from my wallet?

Definitely possible. I expect that's exactly what would happen to mine if a new 5DIII were to go on sale right now for under USD$2,000.  :D

Also....There, their, and they're are misused so frequently it's shocking to me.

I think that the people that make these types of spelling errors don't understand how they are perceived by some people.

Agreed. It's not about being a grammar/spelling troll. Rather, it's that in an environment where communication is primarily in written form, spelling and grammar accuracy influence the perceived credibility of the writer. If someone is either ignorant of the proper spelling or carelessly relying on spell-check to fix things, it speaks to a lack of thoroughness and attention to detail -- both of which are desirable attributes in a largely anonymous environment (like this forum) where information and opinions are exchanged.

Really though... Grammar flaws kill messages.

LOL...great image.

I saw a sticker on a car window the other day that cracked me up. It read (this is how it was spelled and emphasized): "Your entitled to your WRONG opinion."  :o

Grammar and spelling flaws kill regular messages, but in preachy car stickers? They're priceless!

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
The British English usage is the ending "ice" for the noun and "ise" for the verb. E.g., I would advise you that the advice is to practise the practice of grammar. Americans use "ise" in all cases.

Sorry to disagree, but I am an American, and I was taught the correct usage of each in school.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »
Hi folks.
Actually I could care less, but not not a lot! ;D

One thing I do care about is not being able to address a poster by a name when their user name is basically unintelligible.

Cheers Graham.

Whilst we're on the subject, one thing that really annoys me is how some people 'Could care less', when plainly they mean 'Couldn't care less'.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 07:46:58 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Hi Folks.
My main grammar bugbear is the incorrect use of "you and me" versus "you and I". I even find myself shouting at songs on the radio when they are wrong. I know it doesn't change anything but it does get it off my chest at least temporarily!  ::)
I tried to correct my sister in law the other day and she told me her use was correct 'cause it was in songs by x and y.
Even when I tried to show her that it is easy to determine which is correct by dropping the third person then see if I or me makes sense she told me either way is acceptable. Oh well I guess you cannot educate pork!

How about here and hear. I just started reading another post someone wants to here from people about x!

Cheers Graham.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:04:36 PM by Valvebounce »
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
You see these two words used incorrectly everywhere! It is amazing.  Another one that I see quite often is fourty instead of forty.
5d Mark III, 7d Mark II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
There's another one that frequently shows up on this and other photography forums: lens and lenses.

Guys, it's one lens, two [or more] lenses! Singular vs. plural.

Sometimes these misspellings and grammar gaffes make a message difficult to understand if not unintelligible. We all make allowances for non-English speakers, of course, but those of us who are native speakers of English should do better.

But who am I to criticize? I make my share of mistakes, too!

Zen ;D

Kelt0901

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
If one can’t write what one means, one cannot mean what one writes.
5D ii, EOS M, 24-70 2.8 L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 40 2.8; Mamiya 645 DM, ZD Back, 55-110, 105-210; RB67 Pro SD, many KL series lenses; Horseman LDC; Horseman LDX 5" X 4"; Horseman VCC.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
I have an English degree and this one kills me.  It's especially bad when people use the "word" loosed.  That and "can not" which is not technically incorrect, but just ignorant.  I could vent on dozens more...

The thing about an English degree is that in a few hundred years it will be worthless ;) while a math degree will still be going strong  ;D.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Many of us English monoglots admire greatly the non-English speakers' ability to write in our language. There is one misspelling, however, that is becoming the norm in CR: loose for lose. "Loose", with two os means the opposite of tight. E.g., my lens cap is loose and sometimes falls off. The verb you use when you can't find something is "lose", with one o. E.g., I will lose my lens cap if it becomes loose and falls off.

My own complaints are from a broader pop culture context.  I cannot stand misuse of "to" and "too".  Or how about referring to one lady as a "women".  Or how about things that "rock" (usually shoes, a skirt, or a purse)...instead of things that should rock, like music?

I also absolutely hate all the new Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry songs.  I really don't think it's just me.  Their voices have gotten much worse, and the songs themselves are grotesque to the point of absurdity.  Miley's voice sounds like a bullfrog got drunk and then heavily hung over the next morning, and is now attempting to do its best impression of Stevie Nicks, after Nicks smokes an entire field of tobacco...and then Nicks herself is for some insane reason...trying to attempt to mate with a bullfrog.  Imagine such a scenario if you will! 

I can see why neither one of them can keep a man for very long!  A woman's voice needs to be at least somewhat pleasant to listen to on a day-to-day basis!  Yet we are barraged with their music.  ENOUGH...bring back "hair metal"..."new wave"..."punk"...even "grunge rock" at its most depressing...or EVEN PURE 70's DISCO would be far better than the current, complete crap the kids listen to today.  Don't even get me started on "country" or "rap"...!!  And as much as Madonna is widely ridiculed now, in her prime, her music was far better than the best of the best music, since 2000 or so.  At least she worked hard (in between escapades with the likes of dennis rodman-types), and co-wrote much of her own music.  Perry and Miley obviously had a lot of input on writing their own current material, because it sucks!  Their earlier hits apparently had much stronger influence from songwriters who knew what they were doing.

At least someone like "Ke$ha" admits that she and her family are "bat$*** crazy", capitalizes on it, and doesn't pretend her style is the "norm".  But what's scary is, it kind of is becoming the norm!  What sort of Halloween costume would Ke$ha wear?  Boggles the mind.

umm rather disco and grunge back? let's not get carried away hah
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:36:30 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »
I have an English degree and this one kills me.  It's especially bad when people use the "word" loosed.  That and "can not" which is not technically incorrect, but just ignorant.  I could vent on dozens more...

The thing about an English degree is that in a few hundred years it will be worthless ;) while a math degree will still be going strong  ;D.

I think that English degree does not mean what you think it means.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

e17paul

• EOS M2
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »
Whether full frame or crop sensor, I'm sure that none of us lose the opportunity to let loose shots on our Cannons.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:11:02 AM by e17paul »
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 6 & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »