October 01, 2014, 01:15:20 PM

Author Topic: Lose or Loose?  (Read 11481 times)

takesome1

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Lose or Loose?
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

I am confused now;
This thread went from lose or loose to just loose women.

Haha, not really...I just felt like complaining about pop culture.  Not trying to hijack the thread.  There are plenty of grammatical errors I still don't like, but at the moment I don't have time to list any others.  I really also don't like many of the popular sayings and phrases that are said so often these days. 

Here's one:  "at the end of the day"....as in..."At the end of the day the President felt he needed to focus more on how much of the taxpayers' money he's wasting by constantly taking air force one all over the globe at his every whim, while at the same time preaching about how much man-made pollution contributes to climate change...and how he would be happy to be exempted from his own carbon tax proposals...because that's just how he rolls.  We're happy that you in the white house press corps never challenge him on these issues.  This concludes the news conference."

It's one of those phrases that is said constantly by commentators and officials on news tv broadcasts, and it's now the end of the day for that phrase, in my opinion!

Yes they do say that. Thanks for pointing it out, now when I hear the phrase it will annoy me to.

I would rather talk about the loose women, they don't annoy me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Your kidding me right? Their's much worst cases :P

Even though I'm not a native speaker, I'm so tired of the moosh that english as a lingua franca became that I often resort to some level of old timey english with some latin locutions on top.
My chinglish wielding counterpart shan't fathom my thoughs! :D

German words that got into a niche of english langage are pretty nice for confusing your counterpart. But it's a bit over zeistgeist-y

In my native language (french) we have a specialized oldschool dictionary that is highly respected even though it stopped evoluting in the 1800's (Littré)...is there anything like that for english? I'd be interested!

Kelt0901

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »
For me English is a fourth language

Wow, I'd have never guessed that ! Your written English is better than mine, and I'm as English as a Red London Bus, or Fox Hunting, depending upon how politically correct I choose to be  ;)

Agreed on your command of the English language, nice job for a fourth language!

I would have guessed you were a Texan, J.R. is a common name in Texas.

I only speak two languages....English and American...but I'm working on a third - Canadian(but not the French part) ::)
When you learn Australian you will speak four languages  ;D
Would that be old Australian or current Australian, when I grew up the Australian language was referred to as “strine”.  My grandchildren didn’t know what it meant.
5D ii, EOS M, 24-70 2.8 L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 40 2.8; Mamiya 645 DM, ZD Back, 55-110, 105-210; RB67 Pro SD, many KL series lenses; Horseman LDC; Horseman LDX 5" X 4"; Horseman VCC.

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2013, 03:44:46 AM »

I would rather talk about the loose women, they don't annoy me.

Ahahaha...touché.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
Here in South Africa I've noticed that the word "borrow" has largely been, shall we say, replaced by the other end of the relationship ... "lend" and "loan". As in:

"My I lend your lens."
"I lent his lens."
"I will loan a lens from him."
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
Here in South Africa I've noticed that the word "borrow" has largely been, shall we say, replaced by the other end of the relationship ... "lend" and "loan". As in:

"My I lend your lens."
"I lent his lens."
"I will loan a lens from him."

That's cute, because it is giving the person who is doing the taking or borrowing, the credit for also owning the thing...and being generous enough to let someone borrow it!  How nice of them!

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
I can't wait for the day a virus is released on the internet to spell check every word typed out in a non-secure application.

I know it wouldn't fix the problem in the title, but it would still be a big improvement.
-100% RAW-

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
For me English is a fourth language and the way it is used in my country, as long as you understand what the speaker / poster is trying to convey, it is usually enough.

Canonrumors is a forum where the users are spread all across the world - some with good English and some with not so good English. I feel that there should be some leeway as long as one can understand what a poster is trying to convey. That said, I've seen many native English speakers who have worse English language skills than myself  ;)

I would bet that nobody is going to stop posting on the forum simply because they did not know the nuance of a language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Fair_Lady

Many of those posting on this thread are probably familiar with the movie already, but if you aren't I suggest giving it a look.

(Looks like I linked to the stage play and not the movie, either one should do though.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:15:12 PM by 9VIII »
-100% RAW-

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
"Irregardless" of the lose/loose issue, one of my favourite peeves to pet is the intermingling of the words envy and Jealous.  While related, they don't mean the same thing.

But in some dictionaries they are listed as meaning the same.  (facepalm).

And lets not even think about the word irony.  I am convinced that no one on the Internets Tubes seems to know really what that means.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »
Since this thread is still kicking, I'll add my latest and most annoying one - Curated.  Last time I checked, this was something done by highly skilled people at museums, you know, curators.  But now, you see it everywhere and you have "curated" MP3 playlists, "highly curated" collections of photos or items for sale at certain websites.  Please.  If a computer or some idiot in their pajamas is doing it, it isn't curated.  Even Google has it in their definition:

cu·rate
ˈkyo͝oˌrāt/
verb
past tense: curated; past participle: curated
1. select, organize, and look after the items in (a collection or exhibition).
         "both exhibitions are curated by the museum's director"
    select acts to perform at (a music festival).
        "in past years the festival has been curated by the likes of David Bowie"
    select, organize, and present (suitable content, typically for online or computational use).
        "nearly every major news organization is using Twitter’s new lists feature to curate tweets about the earthquake"

Okay, venting over >:(

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
"Irregardless"

LOL. Nice!

And lets not even think about the word irony.  I am convinced that no one on the Internets Tubes seems to know really what that means.   ;D

Agreed! It seems that most people should use "coincidental" rather than "ironic". Irony is Oedipus vowing to bring to justice the man who killed the king, not knowing at the time that it was himself all along.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »

It's ironic isn't it, that they don't understand the proper use of irony. ;)
Actually, that leads me back to cannot and the link to the German translation. While both languages tend to concatenate words to form new words, I think overall, modern German tends to concatenate more than modern English, although I haven't really done a comparison and my German vocabulary is pretty small.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

It's ironic isn't it, that they don't understand the proper use of irony. ;)
Actually, that leads me back to cannot and the link to the German translation. While both languages tend to concatenate words to form new words, I think overall, modern German tends to concatenate more than modern English, although I haven't really done a comparison and my German vocabulary is pretty small.

In my case I use both English and German quite a lot and indeed there is a certain resistance to concatenation in the English language, which is unknown in German. It is best exemplified by using "-" in between combined words. Even more of a pronounced difference are common combinations such as lens cap, which are separated completely, while in German you would have an Objektivdeckel. In German you can combine two words spontaneously to make up something new and this new construct hopefully becomes a useful expression. Zeitgeist for example has become a rather famous word combination curiously more in English-speaking areas than in German-speaking areas. It also seems to me that it is not exactly en vogue any longer, being perhaps zeitgeistlos.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:50:11 PM by AmbientLight »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:48 PM »

Larry

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
I feel that my being perfect in every regard obliges (or is it "obligates"?) me to post. ;)

"I could care less!" is only appropriate if delivered dripping with sarcasm( or is it "sarcazm"?), ...thus signifying to those with a clue that exactly the opposite is in fact the case.

I'm surprised (or am I "surprized"?) that no one has mentioned the grammaration which has become my increasingly infuriating pet peeve.

What it is, is the redundant use of the word "is" as in the first part of this sentence. No one says "My name is, is Bill", or "My Bentley is, is black".

But people in increasing numbers, including supposedly knowledgeable personalities such as news anchors, politicians, advertisers, and the U.S. president, seem quite willing to say "The trouble with that is, is such-and-such".

OK, so maybe these types aren't really "supposed" (as in "believed") to be knowledgable anymore, but In my childhood days it was more or less expected ;-)

I can't (as in "can not") speak for the rest of the world, ...but the "Dumbing of America" continues apace. (...and the "pace" is increasing. )

One hand-basket is never going to suffice.

I believe "can not" is perfectly legit, since I can not-do a great many things , even at the same time. ;D

I can not-jump over the moon at the same time as I can not-dance a minuet. Can't you?

Same goes for "won't".  I will not-type a great deal more on this subject. There, done! (... and at record speed, if I do say so myself!).

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Hi Folks
One I hate is axed! As in I was axed a question, or is it aksed,  ;D I hope no one axes me a question as I fear the pain of an axe strike!  ::)

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »