April 18, 2014, 12:08:57 AM

Author Topic: Lose or Loose?  (Read 8369 times)

daltech

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Lose or Loose?
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Here in Brazil we speak Portuguese. Currently, all countries speaking Portuguese are undergoing an agreement to unify the rules of spelling. I understand English, but not enough to write correctly, then translate by Google, then fix several times. The conjugation of verbs in Portuguese has no equivalent words in English. In English someone can say: I DO. YOU DO. HE DOES. In Portuguese we say:
EU FAÇO
TU FAZES
ELE FAZ
NÓS FAZEMOS
VÓS FAZEIS
ELES FAZEM
Now imagine a verb that represents the hypothetical future, or the past hypothetical...
Also the order of words in the sentence is quite different, and Google Translator looks like the speech of MASTER YODA in the film Star Wars.

I'm French, you forgot the plural equivalent in English, 'We do', 'You do' (Same as singular) and 'They do' ;-)

I agree with some of the comments in regards to perhaps a part of the population not caring for grammar, it's a fact that some people don't care, I know, 'I do' ;-) I'm not perfect, far from it, but I try.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

Famateur

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
One that I've been noticing more and more lately, particularly in advertising, is using an adjective when an adverb would be more appropriate. Here's an example from a radio advertisement this morning:

"Start your day delicious at Paradise Bakery."

Does that mean I should be delicious today? Should I feel delicious today? If my day should have a delicious start, it would start deliciously.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
One that I've been noticing more and more lately, particularly in advertising, is using an adjective when an adverb would be more appropriate. Here's an example from a radio advertisement this morning:

"Start your day delicious at Paradise Bakery."

Does that mean I should be delicious today? Should I feel delicious today? If my day should have a delicious start, it would start deliciously.

It means they got their advertising dollars worth out of you.

You NOTICED and remembered it....

C

Pandypix

• PowerShot G16
  • 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
 >:( Advertisers often misspell the city I live near, Wollongong (pronounced as wool on gong) Woolongong does not exist. This spelling may be intentional, however I will avoid products that use this type of advertising.  Sydney / Sidney I don't think anyone would think this was clever advertising.
Jill
70D + a few lenses (500D up for sale hubby said it had to go too much clutter)

Normalnorm

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »
Ever since English has been spoken and written people have been complaining about its misuse.
I used to be one of those people but I yield to the understanding that it WILL change whether I like it or not.

Just think how much it has changed since Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address. The people of that day would be both amazed and despairing of how the language had changed. Not to mention being astonished that we wasted time taking pictures of our food and our cats.

sagittariansrock

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Many of us English monoglots admire greatly the non-English speakers' ability to write in our language. There is one misspelling, however, that is becoming the norm in CR: loose for lose. "Loose", with two os means the opposite of tight. E.g., my lens cap is loose and sometimes falls off. The verb you use when you can't find something is "lose", with one o. E.g., I will lose my lens cap if it becomes loose and falls off.

Unfortunately, "loose" might officially (if informally) come to mean "lose". I was "literally" shocked to learn that the Oxford English Dictionary had changed the definition of "literally" to include "used for emphasis, while not being true" just because too many people are (erroneously, I thought) using it:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/literally
(look for the informal meaning)
Never sarcastic, just misinterpreted sometimes.

EOS 5DIII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 135mm f/2 L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 2x III | 600-EX-RT | 2x YN-622c

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »
Another example: bad grammar, idiom and spelling spoiling a phish, received this morning.

Tax Return Notification
Dear taxpayer,
I am sending this e-mail to announce you: After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined the you are eligible to receive a tax refund of : 247.29 GBP

In order for us to return the excess payment, you need to send a request to HM Revenue & Customs after which the fund will be credited to your specified bank account.
Please click "Get Started" below to claime your refund:
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2013, 05:41:19 AM »

Valvebounce

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »
Hi folks.
I think one of the main points that needs reiterating is that to "get their message across" does indeed require the correct use of grammar and use of the correct words. Miss spelling thier will not harm the meaning or context of a sentence as much as using there instead.

How many of you get part way through a question posted here or elsewhere and loose interest in trying to decipher the meaning because of poor grammar!

What is going to happen when our arithmetic rules get as mangled as our language, someone will get under or over paid, then the new bridge will fall down!   ::) ;D

Incidentally where exactly did we get learning "The three R's" for Reading Writing and Arithmetic.  :o :o

Cheers Graham.

By the way, love this thread.  I thought it was serious for a moment until I realised that most of the people professing their knowledge of English were clearly wrong.  Not sure what the subversive intention is by giving people incorrect grammatical information, but very entertaining anyway.

IMHO, outside of a formal environment, getting upset at someone's spelling is pointless.  Firstly, as long as they get their message across, who cares how they do it.  Secondly, poor spelling and grammar is more likely a language, cultural or educational matter.  Telling someone to get the spelling in order isn't going to automatically make them better at it.  Instead, its just going to discourage them from being an active participant here. And I know that is nobody's intention or desire.  Maybe there are better ways to help people?  Perhaps find a polite way to point it out in a thread where you see a problem? At work I often come across people who aren't as good at communicating as they want to be.  FWIW, my current favourite solution is Toastmasters.
7D Gripped, 40D Gripped*, *20D, 300D Saved a holiday now retired, *E-FS 17-85, E-FS 18-55 Kit lenses, Cosina 100-300, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 C, *50mm f1.8, 550EX some filters remotes tripod heads etc!
Still can't use most of it to its full potential! ;)  *=Purchased Used

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2013, 07:27:31 AM »
Lose, not loose!
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
I didn't read all the comments on this post, but this page is incredibly useful for these sort of common errors:

https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »