April 20, 2014, 01:13:37 AM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras  (Read 40792 times)

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
I think this is the adapter: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Focusing performance etc won't be great of course, but I would be using this camera for landscape and still life (for hand-held action and high ISO Canon is very competitive indeed already), ie manual focus via live-view off a tripod.

Say if it's 1 year until Canon releases it's first big megapixel, and it still lacks in DR (I think it will), and then 2 more years before they become competitive at that point. Having an A7R meanwhile at the same time as say a 5D mark III and use Canon glass via adapter seems like a quite good idea. Sure an extra body on the side only for landscape/still life is an expensive solution, but looking the pile of L glass the main cost is there, not in the bodies, and you would get some residual value off the Sony when selling it second hand when you can get a Canon of corresponding functionality.

Saying that this camera is slow and and focusing performance sucks is missing the point. What we should be excited about is that high resolution high DR sensor and the ability to use our excellent Canon glass with it. If you don't desire this resolution or DR then you don't need to look at it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
Could you provide a link to that adapter? Is it supporting AF or MF only?

I still don't know the name of the adapter. Haven't gotten that far yet, but here is a video of a guy using the 17-40L on the A7R, with AF and everything. :)

Fast forward to 11:20. (but I recommend watching the entire video).

Sony A7 & A7R Hands-On Field Test Small | Large

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
I just pre ordered the a7 and 28- 70 kit lens from Sony.com here in China.
The a7 and the 28-70 Kit lens are $1860 here in China, which is actually 130 dollars less than in America.
I'm very excited to get some old Takumars or 1.2 manual focus vintage glass and have some fun.
I doubt I will ever buy another DSLR again.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
4 fps for the A7R and 5 fps for the A7 according to the video on Sony's blog. The A7 is coming in at $1698 body only. If was to choose between them I'd go for the A7, seems like a pretty good deal. I don't need 36MP, 24 is fine.

I'd have to sell something though to fund it. Maybe my EOS M and 7D? Could be a possibility but I don't really need it yet!

Come on Canon, do something.  :(
5D II | 7D | EOS M + 22 f2 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »

No need to get rid of all your Canon glass, with an adaptor for the Sony you could keep using them and save yourself A LOT of money. That Sony/Zeiss glass is even more overpriced than Canon glass :P!

Putting an adapter + L lens(es) on A7 or A7R would kill the primary purpose of mirrorless. You might as well stay with Canon DSLR + L lenses.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

paul13walnut5

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
It ups the game a bit for sure.  Sony have been ploughing their own furrow and seem to abandon technoogies as quickly as they develop them, no SLT here by the looks of it.

Canon also have they advantage that an EF lens will work on any EOS camera is well established with plenty of choice from budget to high performing.

The Sony idea of letting you fit the APS-C lenses with cropping is a goody (as do Nikon, I appreciate the mirror on 135/leica/minature format EOS cameras prohibits this)

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »
@Dylan: Congrats on your order! Hope your A7 will be delivered to you soon and look forward to reading about your hands-on experience with it! ;-)

Putting an adapter + L lens(es) on A7 or A7R would kill the primary purpose of mirrorless. You might as well stay with Canon DSLR + L lenses.

I disagree on this one. A small camera allows for a small & light package, when heavy lenses are not needed. When heavy (tele) lenses are reuqired, the package will not be small and light any longer. But I do not need to buy and operate to different cameras from different manufacturers with differen user interfaces in parallel. But only one. I will definitely keep and use my 70-200 II with an adaptor on an A7/R .. if I get one. Wilol still wait somewhat, to see what IQ and performacne are like. And also, beacuse I would like the 24-70 Zeiss as standard walkaround zoom lens. Right now, the only native lens available with the A7R is the 35/2.8 which I do not care for at all and certainly not at a price of 800 Euro.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:06 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »

No need to get rid of all your Canon glass, with an adaptor for the Sony you could keep using them and save yourself A LOT of money. That Sony/Zeiss glass is even more overpriced than Canon glass :P!

Not if you want high resolution, loads of DR and no shadow banding. :P

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »

Roger Cicala's take on lens adapters... There is no free lunch

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters
Light is language!

symmar22

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Fun that the most exciting thing since a long time on this forum is a Sony camera. I must admit I am excited too, I would have preferred a decently priced High Mpx Canon reflex, but I start to wonder if it will ever happen. The A7r seems so cheap for the sensor it offers, it will probably be my next camera to finally upgrade from my ageing 5D2s. This should be a decent performer to use my TS-E collection for architecture.

The more it goes, the more Canon shows it's lack of creativity, and IMO they should be careful if they want to stay on the podium in the future. While they recycle their old components into a not-so-new camera or make version 4 of the same old lens, other brand are actually creating exciting new products and guess what ? Decent prices.
Canon is definitely becoming the Japanese Leica, for its conservatism and price policy.

Sony has definitely played a nice move. I'm afraid as too often, Canon will come too late, too expensive and not daring enough.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »

Roger Cicala's take on lens adapters... There is no free lunch

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

The things mentioned in that article are irrelevant in actual shooting. The amount of 'give' or misalignment between a regular lens mount and a lens already far exceeds any additional misalignment that would be added by the use of an adapter.

In any case, teleconverters already do this (in addition to putting more optics in the way), and those using technical cameras deal with this with every single lens they use.

Additionally, if you're a landscape photographer (where the edges of the photo actually matter), you tend to shoot stopped down enough that any misfocus due to lens/mount alignment is unnoticeable anyway, even at the highest resolutions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:27:38 AM by Ricku »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »
Owning a lot of Canon equipment I have to say: thank you Sony, being such a good competitor!!!
And as we have seen with the new flashes with built in radiotransmitters: lets see, what the old lady C. does!

Cali_PH

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
For us landscape photographers the wait for a high megapixel body with state-of-the-art dynamic range to be used with lenses like the TS-E 24 II has been tough. But now it's possible at last, with a Sony!

That's exactly what I've been thinking, and the lighter body will help a bit on my long hikes.  Not too many people seem to be thinking about this camera this way, but I think that's because there don't seem to be too many people here who's primary interest is landscape.  I've rented the D800 and loved the sensor performance at low iso, but didn't like much of the rest of it...weight, size, UI, zooming in to manual focus was blurry, etc.  This basically eliminates a lot of the those issues.

I'll wait to see how it performs before buying one, and if I do I won't be selling all my Canon gear.  I've read the sensor was optimized for the shorter flange distance for native lenses, being mirrorless.  I'm wondering if that has any negative effect when you put an adapter and other glass on it.  I've also heard conflicting info about any kind of remote shutter capability, which is almost essential for how I shoot.

I'm also curious about the
Playmemories App" app capabilities, which I just read about.  It apepars to be a store for apps to download to the camera.  Could lead to interesting possibilities, such as on-board time lapse.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
I am skipping eBay too, with their ridiculous percentages...do you know of any forums to sell gear on and just use paypal??????

Try Amazon.  I've used them in the past and their percent is about 6% and that includes the credit card fees.
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

MLfan3

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »
only one negative point of this camera is the poor video codec AVCHD and lack of ML.
I am definitely getting the A7 , not the A7R ,which has very poor AF(I tried it at Sony dealers meeting here).
Oh and, the 55mm f1.8 is an incredibly sharp prime, and the 70-200mmf4 is a bit better optically than the EF70-200mmf4LIS or Nikon AFS70-200mm f4VR.
the main reason why I personally avoid the R version is that the R has very slow AF (identical to the AF of the NEX7), the Alpha 7 has PDAF , not as fast as that of the A99v but close.
however, if you can wait , wait till Feb, you will be shocked to see the New Alpha 9 , which will have 4k video with in body SSS, and very very fast PDAF to fully optimize it.
so wait till next CES

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:37 AM »