October 24, 2014, 01:17:26 PM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras  (Read 60581 times)

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

I think I have mentioned this already. But look around 11:25 in this video. EF 17-40L being used and autofocused on the A7R.

No kiding.  ItIf EF lens can be mounted on Sony's camera bodies and keep the AF, I think I will at least give Sony a try.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:24:46 PM by cliffwang »
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

iowapipe

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
The last few major Sony developments are great for the industry and for the consumer as many have stated. However, I don't think that this is necessarily going to draw as many DSLR customers away from Canon as some in this forum believe (and the ones that are lured away may find it isn't necessarily going to meet all their needs).

As others have stated, the lens selection is terrible. For those who are excited about adapters to mount EF lenses while retaining AF, all other current examples of this are almost completely worthless if AF speed is of concern to the type of work you do. I was one of the people that was completely stoked when Metabones announced the speed booster which I almost bought along with the NEX-7. They also claim to retain AF functionality on EF glass but state very clearly that it is not anywhere near fast enough for most applications. YouTube videos seem to support this statement if you haven't checked it out.

If Sony, Metabones, or any other company is able to make an adapter that truly allows usable AF retention, then you can count me in for one as well. But until that issue is solved, my feeling is that the people that are heavily invested in the Canon or Nikon ecosystem will not be quick to jump ship as most of us aren't looking to manually focus (for all intents and purposes) all of our glass. This is not to say there are not some people that would be completely fine with this.

Regardless, if the price comes down a bit, I may not be able to resist just picking one up to have that oh so sweet 36 mp sensor in my bag as I could still put that to good use in some instances.

Nicely put, thank you.  It is exciting news and I have enjoyed my RX100 for what it does. 
These innovations will hopefully push the whole industry toward better endeavors.

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »
I'm much more interested in RX10, it's like upgraded Canon Pro1, series which everybody of the SLR makers are avoiding.

bgran8

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »

I think I have mentioned this already. But look around 11:25 in this video. EF 17-40L being used and autofocused on the A7R.

No kiding.  ItIf EF lens can be mounted on Sony's camera bodies and keep the AF, I think I will at least give Sony a try.

I just put in my order for one. I have wanted a high-megapixel camera for landscapes for a while, and it looks like this will work.

My concern is that my 17-40 is my go-to lens, but I am wondering how it will resolve 36 megapixels. I typically shoot at f11 to get the best resolution out of the extreme corners on this lens (FYI). Any input?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:37:25 PM by bgran8 »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »

I just put in my order for one. I have wanted a high-megapixel camera for landscapes for a while, and it looks like this will work.

My concern is that my 17-40 is my go-to lens, but I am wondering how it will resolve 36 megapixels. I typically shoot at f11 to get the best resolution out of the extreme corners on this lens (FYI). Any input?

Thanks in advance.
Well, I think the 17-40L kinda struggles on the 5D3 and 5D2. And I think it might be even worse on the 36mp A7R.

However, the guy who made the hands on video review of the A7R, seemed to like the results from the 17-40L..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:50:17 PM by Ricku »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
From http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/the_new_sony_cameras.shtml:

The world-wide trend is toward smaller cameras. Maybe it's the aging population, or maybe just a Japanese trend that is slowing spreading around the world. (Apparently more than 50% of new DSLR style camera sales in Japan are now Compact System Cameras rather than larger cameras with optical finders).

... which would mean that Canon is currently excluded from 50% of camera sales in Japan. Interesting!

lecoupdejarnac

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
I'm definitely going to buy an A7r, but not right away.  Probably in about a year I'll sell my 5DII and get one of these, after the metabones AF adapter is tested with more Canon lenses and the firmware is updated.

Canon is either too hesitant to do anything that might cannibalize their own DSLR sales, or perhaps they're just not very innovative anymore.  Either way, I wouldn't expect them to come out with a small, lightweight FF camera like this for several years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »
The EOS M I bought from B&H during the sale came with the new firmware and it still had a maddening lag; for that reason, along with the unreliable focusing and lack of a viewfinder, I recently sold it.  Yes, it can take excellent photos, and yes, in that sense it was an amazing bargain, but for me it wasn't worth the annoyance; compared to my Olympus E-M5 the whole experience was an irritating joke.  Surely Canon can do better; perhaps they will.
Of course Canon can do better. But tbh, I think they are somewhat terrified of the mirrorless market. The EOS M is a living proof of that.

I think it's all about desperately trying to protect and stick to their current market segmentation.

But dear Canon, now Sony (and soon others) is going to take a bite of your lunch.

Canon is actually making money on electronics, even while the camera market is shrinking.  Sony, on the other hand, is losing money.  Lots of it.  Sony's electronics division has lost $8.5 billion.  The reason they are still in business is that they make money on insurance (mostly) and movies and music.  Otherwise they would be in a deep hole. 

Canon isn't desperate or terrified about anything.  They are doing quite well with a wide range of popular products.  Nearly every videographer I see is shooting Canon and has 2 or 3 Canon bodies and a bag full of Canon lenses.  The EOS M is proof of nothing more than a first effort.

I hope the A7/A7r is a huge success as it is a great idea.  The size, features and pricing look just right.

Sony sensor division are making good money
Sony mobile phones are going well if you look at the last figures

Canons sensor division are leaning on 1 old line and 1 newer one  , high internal costs and not effectiv compared to others as Sony with 5-7lines , Panasonic, Toshiba all with new  65nm sensor lines  and high tech sensors.

If it is cameras we are discussing I think you should be more worry about Canons old sensor tech and there are no signs  that something  is happening with theirs sensors  regarding resolution, dynamic range, color resolution.
I don't worry a bit about Canon's sensor tech.  It's amazing, especially as to resolution, dynamic range and color resolution.  No problems with it at all.  I'm also very pleased with the improvements from one generation to the next.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
my feeling is that the people that are heavily invested in the Canon or Nikon ecosystem will not be quick to jump ship as most of us aren't looking to manually focus (for all intents and purposes) all of our glass. This is not to say there are not some people that would be completely fine with this.

Regardless, if the price comes down a bit, I may not be able to resist just picking one up to have that oh so sweet 36 mp sensor in my bag as I could still put that to good use in some instances.

While I agree not too many would "jump ship," I can see many people having both Canon and Sony bodies for their L glass collection, e.g. myself. 

Sure, AF will be slow via Metabones and L glass, but if I'm shooting landscape with L glass on that 36 MP D800e sensor, who cares.  The fact is Nikon bodies can't take L glass, adapter or not.  I for one would love to see the results from my Canon TS-E 24 MM II on that 36 MP sensor.  The other thing is, if Canon had come out with something like A7 or A7r, the price would be way higher than what Sony is charging.  I figure, I will wait a year or so, buy the A7r after price comes down and while on some Holiday sale  ;D

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »
I don't worry a bit about Canon's sensor tech.  It's amazing, especially as to resolution, dynamic range and color resolution.  No problems with it at all.  I'm also very pleased with the improvements from one generation to the next.
You need to add more  :-* :P ::) :o :D ;D -faces when you tell a joke.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:41:15 PM by Ricku »

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
Aah! I almost couldn't tell if you were joking or being serious.

Please use some  ::) :o :-* :P ;D faces when telling a joke.
100% serious.  I'm making great photos with Canon.  Their sensor technology proves itself week after week.  Also, Canon service is phenomenal.  I broke 2 lenses in an accident last week and received them fixed by Canon in just 7 days door to door; that includes shipping time and a 3-day holiday weekend.

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
my feeling is that the people that are heavily invested in the Canon or Nikon ecosystem will not be quick to jump ship as most of us aren't looking to manually focus (for all intents and purposes) all of our glass. This is not to say there are not some people that would be completely fine with this.

While I agree not too many would "jump ship," I can see many people having both Canon and Sony bodies for their L glass collection, e.g. myself. 

Sure, AF will be slow via Metabones and L glass, but if I'm shooting landscape with L glass on that 36 MP D800e sensor, who cares.  The fact is Nikon bodies can't take L glass, adapter or not.  I for one would love to see the results from my Canon TS-E 24 MM II on that 36 MP sensor.  The other thing is, if Canon had come out with something like A7 or A7r, the price would be way higher than what Sony is charging.  I figure, I will wait a year or so, buy the A7r after price comes down and while on some Holiday sale  ;D

Agreed on all points.

I too am very enthused about the thought of using all three of my TSEs, the Zeiss 50/2, and a ton of legacy lenses that would work insanely well on a Sony body of this type (focus peaking, etc). Only problem is, I don't want to pay 2300 to use just those lenses for very specific instances as I would still prefer my 5D3 for everything else. As such, the A7r would be very limited in scope for the types of work I would be doing with it which wouldn't justify the initial price tag. Much like you, I will wait to see what type of price drops occur in a year before I would seriously consider it.

Also, if Canon announces their big megapixel body between now and then, I would be more than willing to shell out at least 2-3 times the price of the A7r to be able to have something native for all my glass that has all of the ergonomics I am accustomed to. So a few things have to occur before I am willing to consider having the Canon and Sony bodies running side by side.

SpaceGhost

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
I am also a big Canon guy but my loyalty extends only as far as Canon gives back. I do feel that lately Canon has been moving much slower. I have been much more excited about Sony's developments. However, I feel better equiped with my pro gear (what I rely on) coming from Canon, but my secondary camera stuff (like my travel stuff) HAS moved to Sony, particularly the NEX-7 with the Sigma 19mm lens.

My only disappointment is the lack of quality lens from Sony for the NEX line without adapters (or doesn't cost way too much for a secondary body).

I have to say, that the Sony a7R looks very intriguing and the launch lens all look great too, much better (and more expensive) than the NEX launch but seems to be a better match. I currently plan on buying a7R as a holiday gift to myself, because I of course earned it! Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ironically, I like the retro look, I may get less looks from thieves hopefully. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Aah! I almost couldn't tell if you were joking or being serious.

Please use some  ::) :o :-* :P ;D faces when telling a joke.
100% serious.  I'm making great photos with Canon.  Their sensor technology proves itself week after week.  Also, Canon service is phenomenal.  I broke 2 lenses in an accident last week and received them fixed by Canon in just 7 days door to door; that includes shipping time and a 3-day holiday weekend.
Ah. Well, opinions doesn't change facts. The fact is that Canon is way behind in both resolution and DR.

Dynamic range is the worst. Canon haven't improved on base ISO since the 5D2, and they haven't even figured out a way to get rid of the shadow banding.

But It's cool that you are cool with that. I guess it depends on personal standards really.. I mean, some people thinks that the output from a Powetshot camera is fantastic.  :) Good for them! Good for you.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:33:48 PM by Ricku »

baervan

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
excuse me for the perhaps stupid question, but why Sony produced these cameras with the E mount, don't they have already full frame lenses on the A mount? wouldn't it make more sense to give it a native A with already available lenses instead a mount for which they still have to come out with some? I mean the current E mount line is only crop isnt it?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:47:40 PM by baervan »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »