October 31, 2014, 05:40:23 PM

Author Topic: I'm going crazy over here! What Canon lens for fashion/portraits???  (Read 11018 times)

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going crazy over here! What Canon lens for fashion/portraits???
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »
Can I ask what you shoot exactly to be so sensitive to distortion (85L can be criticized on a lot of thing but its distortion is average at worst, generally unoticeable) andso averse to shooting wide open? just curious.

Anyway you seem set on the 100L (macro is a good reason)...as to the second one when I think portraits I think environmental portraits so 35 1.4 would be a nice idea but you don't mention it (and the 1.4 capability might be wasted).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »
We happen to live near a very photogenic park system...in four years I have never seen a 70-200 f/2.8 not being used for portrait/wedding work.

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:01 AM »
70-200 f4 IS is sharp. Read:
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/431-canon_70200_4is_5d?start=1

70-200 f2.8 II IS is even sharper
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/510-canon_70200_2is28?start=1

Judging by those numbers they're quite close together, but I'd rather get a prime, as I really don't like distortion, and both suffer from it quite heavily. And I don't shoot weddings, so I'm about the effect, rather than chasing the moment.

100L is great. You seem to have your mind set already so I won't try to convince you.
But I just want to say that the two zoom lenses mentioned above have minimal distortion. Telezoom is different from a normal zoom. A normal zoom like 24-105 or even 24-70 has at least moderate to massive amount of distortion. A telezoom has very little.
Anyway, get the 100L. It's a nice choice.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

skoobey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
Definitelty agree the 100L is the one.  Its a fantastic lens and the IS really is useful.

If you're not shooting wide open then the 135mm and 85mm lose their benefits over the 100L.   

The 200mm also looks like a really nice.lens,  been debating this one myself vs a 70-200 or the 70-300L.

Forget about the 70-300. Distortion is just crazy.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
TS-E 90mm f/2.8
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Definitelty agree the 100L is the one.  Its a fantastic lens and the IS really is useful.

If you're not shooting wide open then the 135mm and 85mm lose their benefits over the 100L.   

The 200mm also looks like a really nice.lens,  been debating this one myself vs a 70-200 or the 70-300L.

Forget about the 70-300. Distortion is just crazy.

It is so easy to automatically correct lens distortions in post, you can even set the correction as an import preset so you do nothing, that distortion really isn't any kind of serious consideration. There is absolutely minimal IQ hit when doing simple lens corrections too.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »
Love my 70-200mk2 it's a workhorse,i plan on getting the 85 1.2 next month though for special portraits :) here is a shot from yesterday taken with the 70-200 :)

Fiona by Lseriesglass, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:42 AM »

skoobey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
Can I ask what you shoot exactly to be so sensitive to distortion (85L can be criticized on a lot of thing but its distortion is average at worst, generally unoticeable) andso averse to shooting wide open? just curious.

Anyway you seem set on the 100L (macro is a good reason)...as to the second one when I think portraits I think environmental portraits so 35 1.4 would be a nice idea but you don't mention it (and the 1.4 capability might be wasted).

I shoot a lot of vertical and horizontal lines in the backdrop, and it does show, and makes the whole image look cheap (like columns, doors, windows, striped floors and walls). :D It's fine when there is only floor/wall line.

It is so easy to automatically correct lens distortions in post, you can even set the correction as an import preset so you do nothing, that distortion really isn't any kind of serious consideration. There is absolutely minimal IQ hit when doing simple lens corrections too.

How many times must I mention that it cannot be done in post without deforming the corners (you know those corners where models might be - yes, deformed shoes, hands, and elbows are not my cup of tea). Many presume that model is only to be put in the middle of the image, not touching the edges anywhere. Not the case with me.

Also, I often don't shoot directly, but at an angle, and then distortion really messes things up, especially when you have chess pattern, like I did last season.

So, I'll stick with the 100L macro and get another lens to join it later (presumably 200L 2.8 non-is or the 70-200).

Obviously it is better than 100mm USM macro. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:19:17 PM by skoobey »

David_in_Seattle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »
The 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro is a great lens and will serve many of your purposes for macro and portrait photography.  But since you seem really averse to lens distortion you should also consider the 90mm TSE f2.8 because you can remove almost all of the distortion by adjusting the horizontal and vertical focal planes.
David Cuerpo, Jr. | Media Producer | Expedia Inc.
Cameras: 1Dx, 5Dmk3, 60D
Lenses: 8-15 Fisheye, 16-35 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 24-70 f2.8 v2, 17 TSE, 24 TSE, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 90 TSE, 100 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS v2, 200 f2 IS, 300 f2.8 IS

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
I wrestled with this a while back.  The 135L or the 100L Macro.  I ended up getting the 100L macro and I'm glad I did.  Besides portraits is just a whole bunch of fun.  The macro part is just great, flowers, cats eyes, dripping facets.  always something to take a picure of and great for portraits too.  135L is a bit sharper but thats like ccomparing the sharpness of 2 brands of razor blades.  Weather sealing, macro and 4 stops of IS made it a no brainer.  quick note, the 4 stops is more like 2 stops on really small macro shots.  Get a good mono pod and lean into those bees on the flowers
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
just get the 100 L you do not like it then return it.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

How many times must I mention that it cannot be done in post without deforming the corners (you know those corners where models might be - yes, deformed shoes, hands, and elbows are not my cup of tea). Many presume that model is only to be put in the middle of the image, not touching the edges anywhere. Not the case with me.

Dude, with an asinine comment like that you are just demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding. IT IS THE LENS THAT IS CREATING THE DISTORTION, the software IS REMOVING IT!

If you want models, balls, dragons, whatever, in the corner of your shot with no distortion you HAVE to use lens corrections.

I presumed nothing other than that you had a basic understanding of what you were talking about, I shan't make that mistake again.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

skoobey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
The 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro is a great lens and will serve many of your purposes for macro and portrait photography.  But since you seem really averse to lens distortion you should also consider the 90mm TSE f2.8 because you can remove almost all of the distortion by adjusting the horizontal and vertical focal planes.

I love tilt shift, but it is impractical for me at this time (no AF, and I don't like those news of knobs falling off), but I was planing on renting it here and there. Already played with it and I love that lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »

skoobey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »

Dude, with an asinine comment like that you are just demonstrating a fundamental lack of understanding. IT IS THE LENS THAT IS CREATING THE DISTORTION, the software IS REMOVING IT!

If you want models, balls, dragons, whatever, in the corner of your shot with no distortion you HAVE to use lens corrections.

I presumed nothing other than that you had a basic understanding of what you were talking about, I shan't make that mistake again.

Would you give it up? :) I am asking for help becasue I want to avoid liquifying every single image I ever shot. Fixing it, and never shooting it wrong doesn't compare, does it? It is "easy" to fix globally, but then you have a much softer image to work with... and I don't want that.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

Would you give it up? :) I am asking for help becasue I want to avoid liquifying every single image I ever shot. Fixing it, and never shooting it wrong doesn't compare, does it? It is "easy" to fix globally, but then you have a much softer image to work with... and I don't want that.
post some un-edited model photos to show us the problem

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »