July 29, 2014, 10:56:33 AM

Author Topic: I'm going crazy over here! What Canon lens for fashion/portraits???  (Read 10222 times)

Lichtgestalt

Re: I'm going crazy over here! What Canon lens for fashion/portraits???
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
lindsay adler uses medicore sigma lenses.

http://www.lindsayadlerphotography.com/

todays lenses are normaly not a problem for fashion shootings.

How many times must I mention that it cannot be done in post without deforming the corners (you know those corners where models might be - yes, deformed shoes, hands, and elbows are not my cup of tea). Many presume that model is only to be put in the middle of the image, not touching the edges anywhere. Not the case with me.

you must be an extrem demanding professionell... can we see your portfolio?

post some un-edited model photos to show us the problem

yeah i am too very curious to see what he is complaining about.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:10:42 PM by Lichtgestalt »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »
If you aren't using a level and a tripod while you are shooting your grid patterns and models in the corners of the frame, won't you always get that infamous "distortion"?

And if you are on a tripod, which you should be based on your serious issues with lab-test level distortion, then a tilt shift with no AF should do the trick.

Why do you hate distortion so much? I think it helps images since it is a 2D representation of the 3D world, and gives the viewer more information.

I say embrace "distortion", and stop photographing brick walls and reading test charts and reviews.

You should also throw that 24-105 in the garbage. That lens has never taken a good image.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Normalnorm

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Distortion may drive you crazy but I have no problems with it as LR corrects for it automatically.

I use the 100 macro in the studio along with the 85 1.8. Both are razor sharp for portrait /fashion.
I also use the 70-200 2.8L v1 and it is also super sharp.

The zoom has tremendous versatility (and weight) and has only a slight disadvantage in ultimate sharpness compared to the primes. The contrast is lower especially wide open. but a little bump in post solves the problem.

The most cost-effective mix IMO would be the 70-200 2.9LII and a Sigma 50.
This would not overlap FL. If you need the macro get the 100L as it also works well as a portrait lens.

The 135 f2 is supposed to be legendarily sharp but if you are not using it wide open all the time you are carrying a lot of weight and expense without any real benefit.

You say you want to get MF setup? If you are having trouble affording the Canon lenses you are going to be in tears trying to buy MF gear unless it is used film equipment and then you will be in tears finding processing and scanning to fit your budget and meet your quality demands.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:42:02 PM by Normalnorm »

skoobey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
lindsay adler uses medicore sigma lenses.

http://www.lindsayadlerphotography.com/

todays lenses are normaly not a problem for fashion shootings.

How many times must I mention that it cannot be done in post without deforming the corners (you know those corners where models might be - yes, deformed shoes, hands, and elbows are not my cup of tea). Many presume that model is only to be put in the middle of the image, not touching the edges anywhere. Not the case with me.

you must be an extrem demanding professionell... can we see your portfolio?

post some un-edited model photos to show us the problem

yeah i am too very curious to see what he is complaining about.

All I can post is a test shoot, but okay... What I am complaining about is the amount of work I need to do yearly just to correct the lens distortion. And, sure, I can fix it here and there, but all the time... I don't think so. These tests show exactly how much distortion affect's the image, and I know they're not the prettiest images, I didn't choose them for the model(s?), but for the vertical lines.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/33s9nd

I'm asking here is the 100L better than 100 non l enough to be my go-to lens, without me being sorry for not getting the non l version and a longer lens(70-200 or 200mm L)?  ;D I know that some people don't care about distortion, an that some people shoot wide open, and that many don't care about macro, but I'm asking you for help in my situation. :D

I'd rather charge my credit card 10000 bucks and go for MF, being that it'll take me a couple of months to repay it, then spend 2500 cash on a 35mm. That's why I'm so skeptical about spending money on 35mm, I don't want it to end up being  money sitting on a shelf. I only buy what I need, isn't that logical? :D At this time, I feel I'm missing basic things on 35mm, so rather than spending ever more money and have two kits that I'm not satisfied with, I'd rather invest in the necessary lenses for 35, as I will need that 35 when I go MF (they're not excluding each other).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:36:23 PM by skoobey »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:39 AM »
The is almost no distortion with the 85mm 1.2 Lmk2  ,just some -EV in the corners,so any idea of "deforming the corners" or "Liquifying" the image is nonsense,Lens profiles do almost nothing to the image except correct the Vignetting..

PureShot

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 07:28:16 AM »
The best lenses range for fashion, is 70-200mm
24-105L make a good job, just  add sharpness in PS 
85mm and 85L mm   produce sharp and perfect boken
100L mm macro is very nice ,  tamron 90mm work well too
135L mm make a perfect result
70-200L give you a better range hi IQ,  good boken
www.pureshotstudio.com

Alrik89

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »
Quote from: skoobey

And please, please don't take wide-open bokeh or sharpness into consideration, I NEVER shoot wide open;D

Considering this, i would stay with the 24-105mm and recommend removing the distortion in post procession - today this is an one-click-action in lightroom e.g.

Do you need IS for macro?
-> Yes! --> 100mm 2.8 IS
-> No! ---> 100mm 2.8 nonIS

You're not constructive. Maybe I should "fix lighting in post" too? :D lol Or maybe, it's all the same when stopped down lol?

I'm totally constructive. Every lens delivers sharp pictures when stopping down, even crappy low-budget lenses. So, there is no significant difference in sharpness between the macro-IS and the macro-NonIS. Therefore it comes down to another crucial point: the image stabilization.

Same issue with the 70-200m: do you like the flexibility of a zoom lens?
-> Yes! --> 70-200mm 2.8 II
-> No! --> Fixed focal length lens like the macro lenses mentioned above.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:53:24 AM by Alrik89 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 07:51:48 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »
A 100mm macro L or non L should be alright.  If you've got money to burn, then go for L.  Couple it with a 50mm and I think it's enough.  That's what I'm using though I went for the cheaper route, a 50mm F1.8II and a 100mm F2.8 USM non-L macro.  Have fun!

Plato the Wise

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Get the 70-200 2.8L and one of the non-L macros or extension tubes if your strapped for cash.

70-200 2.8L is big, but it is great for portraits.

skoobey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
After all this I'm only further confused. Only thing I know is that I need something that will get me macro and that I need something that will give me compression. It needs to be crazy sharp and as little distortion as possible. And I know that I don't want to buy polarizers million times. so..

My 24-105 and 70-200 2.8 have same filter size
 and 100L macro and 70-200 4 have the same filter size...
Now macro is mostly for studio so... I don't know... in the end I might just go crazy and get 70-200l and 100l macro, and the heck with it. ;D

I must say I love the is on my 24-105, and it useful even in the studio.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
After all this I'm only further confused. Only thing I know is that I need something that will get me macro and that I need something that will give me compression. It needs to be crazy sharp and as little distortion as possible. And I know that I don't want to buy polarizers million times. so..

Now macro is mostly for studio so... I don't know... in the end I might just go crazy and get 70-200l and 100l macro, and the heck with it. ;D

buy a 77mm polariser and get a 67mm to 77mm step up ring. the step up rings are dirt cheap on ebay
APS-H Fanboy

skoobey

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »

buy a 77mm polariser and get a 67mm to 77mm step up ring. the step up rings are dirt cheap on ebay

I completely forgot about that! You see, this is why I'm still learning.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
only downside is you cant use the hood doing it with the step up ring but i wouldnt worry about that too much especially for a CPL
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:23 PM »
TS-E 90mm f/2.8
That's a rare call for the 90 TS-E. For fashion & beauty? I have the 90 TS-E f/2.8 and while it's really useful for products & some static subjects, for dynamic shoots that fashion and beauty really SHOULD be, the manual focus of the 90 TS-E makes it a non-starter. No IS as well...

OP should be happy as a cricket with a 100L Macro f/2.8, which BTW, is my next lens purchase. It's my 135 f/2 which is languishing on the studio shelf, largely because my shooting style benefits so much from good IS.

-pw

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:08 AM »
TS-E 90mm f/2.8
That's a rare call for the 90 TS-E. For fashion & beauty? I have the 90 TS-E f/2.8 and while it's really useful for products & some static subjects, for dynamic shoots that fashion and beauty really SHOULD be, the manual focus of the 90 TS-E makes it a non-starter. No IS as well...

OP should be happy as a cricket with a 100L Macro f/2.8, which BTW, is my next lens purchase. It's my 135 f/2 which is languishing on the studio shelf, largely because my shooting style benefits so much from good IS.

-pw

Agree, IS on any lens over 85mm is essential for me (even 50mm would be nice). I love the 135L but most of the large aperture adv is negated by having to keep it above or near 1/160s. I'm losin out on those dimly lit backgrounds even with flash. Ambient light is rarely 1/160! Great for outdoors though!

What anyone would need a TS in fashion is beyond my scope of understanding but I'll take a guess.

The models are particularly tall and require a shift to correct distortion.
Or just to keep the subject all in sharp focus no matter the angle?
Or for selective focus effects.

I wish I had bought the macro instead of the 135L now that I think about it. Then again I'm not a macro guy. For OP it's perfect.

5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:08 AM »