July 28, 2014, 06:32:59 PM

Author Topic: What's Next for Canon?  (Read 22932 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
What's Next for Canon?
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

Not even a whisper

For the moment, there doesn’t seem to be much chatter coming from the Canon camp. We had previously been told that Canon would not be announcing anything else in 2013. Although, we still thought we would see the Canon EOS M2 which has appeared in some DPP software literature.

There still seems to be a lot of EOS M stock out there, as we keep seeing deals for the camera come about. There is a possibility Canon is waiting until stock levels are near depleted before they make an announcement. Christmas season is coming up, and we’re getting a bit late to announce a product for the Christmas season unless it ships right away.

As far as the big EOS stuff, we’re still holding with no DSLR or lenses in 2013, although a development announcement is always possible. I don’t think Canon has ever done a development announcement without announcing an official new product along side it.

I expect 2 camera bodies at the most in Q1 of 2014, one being a new EOS M camera. The other being an entry level type DSLR. I think it’ll be early spring before we see the really exciting stuff from Canon.

I am also told that new Cinema EOS camera(s) are likely to appear before NAB in April 2014. There has been nothing in regards to specs or which bodies would see an update.

More to come….

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

What's Next for Canon?
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next for Canon?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:57:25 PM »
That's a shame. I guess santa will have to bring my christmas presents from elsewhere.

The new full frame A7R is high on my wish-list. :P It'll be my first Sony item since the Playstation 2.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:02:53 PM by Ricku »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • M.R.S. = my initials! www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
Canon...  ::)
5D3, 5D2, NEX-6 | SY14mm f/2.8, Ʃ20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, Ʃ35mm f/1.4A, 50mm f/1.8 I, Ʃ50mm f/1.4 EX, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12mm f/2, Ʃ19mm & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN, 16-50 & 55-210 OSS | 2x FT-QL, AE-1P, FD(n) & FL primes

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
I´ll stay put with my current bodies until either an 800E killer comes along or my patience expiration date is up. I think is says best before 30 June 2014.
2x5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L II, 70-300/4-5.6L, 200-400/4L 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L II

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:21:13 PM »
I´ll stay put with my current bodies until either an 800E killer comes along or my patience expiration date is up. I think is says best before 30 June 2014.
My patience expiration date is long past. My patience is now a decomposing pile of anger and frustration.

The only reason to why I'm still with Canon is because of my lens-investment.

I'm hoping the A7R + an adapter can save me.

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
Why is CR so sure that that Canon is still trying to sell M bodies made before cutting the price and thereby getting people's attention, not stock manufactured after that?

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
It's impressive what a management change has made for Sigma.

Maybe time for Canon to do the same?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
I'd love to see an EOS M2 with dual pixel AF and an EFV.  I've stared at the EOS-M deals on Amazon and B&H over the last few months, and was a mouse-click away from pushing that "order" button a half dozen times or so.  But I just can't bear the thought of using one without an EFV, and without the AF shown off in the 70D.  The Fuji X-E1 kind of owns the mirrorless scene for now, but I wish Canon had a competitor to it.

Tarzan want EOS M2, now!   :P

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36:36 PM »
I'd love to see an EOS M2 with dual pixel AF and an EFV.  I've stared at the EOS-M deals on Amazon and B&H over the last few months, and was a mouse-click away from pushing that "order" button a half dozen times or so.  But I just can't bear the thought of using one without an EFV, and without the AF shown off in the 70D.  The Fuji X-E1 kind of owns the mirrorless scene for now, but I wish Canon had a competitor to it.

Its still 2 - 3 years until Canon even dares to think about competing with Sony or Fuji on the mirrorless market.

Canon could do it right now, but they are terrified that a high end mirrorless (let's say a compact high resolution FF), will seriously hurt their DSLR sales. :P That's the only explanation I can think of when it comes to their piss poor EOS M. They are not even trying! .. But if Canon won't do it, others will eat their lunch. Mirrorless cameras are on the uprise, and Canon can't hide from it.

Copying / following other companies is not always a bad thing. This time Canon really should follow Sony's example. Its either that, or they can watch thousands of their EF lenses being adapted to the A7 and A7R.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:39:53 PM by Ricku »

fox40phil

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
Canon is still sleeping  :-\

look at the new Nikon d5300... stereo sound, 60fps 1080p video capture, w-lan, gps...24MP, 39-point-AF-System... and... under < 1000€

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »

Its still 2 - 3 years until Canon even dares to think about competing with Sony or Fuji on the mirrorless market.

Canon could do it right now, but they are terrified that a high end mirrorless (let's say a compact high resolution FF), will seriously hurt their DSLR sales. :P That's the only explanation I can think of when it comes to their piss poor EOS M. They are not even trying! .. But if Canon won't do it, others will eat their lunch. Mirrorless cameras are on the uprise, and Canon can't hide from it.

You hit the nail on the head.  I think I'm going to have to go with Fuji for my travels upcoming in December; the EOS-M is just sad.  If Canon can't give me what I need, I'll spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

lw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »

I don't think the M2 (as mentioned in the DPP help file) is anything more than a M refresh.

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

Copying / following other companies is not always a bad thing. This time Canon really should follow Sony's example. Its either that, or they can watch thousands of their EF lenses being adapted to the A7 and A7R.

It's a great example of the innovator's dilemma. For a huge company like Canon, a new type of products like mirrorless cameras isn't profitable enough. Even though their R&D department probably has everything it needs to create a kick-ass product in that category, they don't want to invest too much because it would cost a lot of money and all of the (comparatively small) profit they would make would be at the expense of their profitable SLR division.

So they wait until the market for mirrorless has matured more. Except, of course, that by the time this happens, their competitors (Olympus, Sony, Fuji, etc.) will be well established with mature products that customers trust. By that time, it may well be too late for Canon to keep its leadership position.

Canon could take the lead in this new market, but to do so they would have to cannibalize their own products, which they won't do. Ironically, by avoiding to sacrifice their own products, they may doom their whole company. The same process has happened to many different industries, for many different types of products.

For extra controversy, here's what I would do if I were CEO of Canon:  :P

I would embrace change rather than try to stop it by developing a kick-ass line of mirrorless cameras, with 3 models:
  • An entry-model that's as cheap and light as possible
  • A middle-end that's good enough for amateurs
  • A top-end model that's as good as possible. The goal of the team making this would be to make a camera good enough to replace professional SLR cameras.

I would also greatly simplify Canon's line of SLR cameras by removing every APS-C camera. In the future, I expect SLRs will only be used for pro-level photo (kinda like medium format cameras now), so Canon might as well lead the charge. Full-frame cameras would support a "crop mode" that only uses the pixels in the middle of the frame, so photographers who want the additional reach and speed of APS-C can still have it. I would keep only four SLR models:
  • An entry-model that's comparable to a 6D, perhaps cheaper. The idea is to provide an easy step to "graduate" to full-frame.
  • A top of the line action camera that makes no compromises for focusing speed and FPS.
  • A top of the line studio/landscape camera that has super high resolution, awesome dynamic range and amazing low-light sensitivity.
  • A great video-SLR with every tool needed to make awesome movies straight out of the box.

Fewer products that are better differentiated would allow Canon to focus more resources on each, resulting in better R&D and marketing. It would also makes choices a lot clearer for customers and it would position Canon for future changes in the market. When Steve Jobs returned to Apple, the first thing he did was simplify the products Apple made greatly, and it was a huge success. I believe Canon should do the same.

Oh, and I would change the name of the cameras. Seriously, "5D mark III" sounds like a codename for military hardware, not the brand of a desirable product  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »

I don't think the M2 (as mentioned in the DPP help file) is anything more than a M refresh.

How do you refresh a DEAD MACKEREL?
If the camera was $10 I would not purchase it! ...I have no use for it?
I maintain an extensive 5 DIII system.
All of my  mirrorless money went to Olympus and Panasonic for two MFT bodies and eleven lenses.
Why..because MFT Is light, small, produces incredible results for a very small system and it complements my FF system PERFECTLY! I have lenses from fisheye to tele with SUPER fast AF on great wide aperture primes!
Canon...I have been buying MFT for years...that is YEARS...and your only response AFTER I had assembled an entire kit was the M?  The M???????  Does management live with its head buried in the DIRT????
Did ANYONE notice what Fuji, Olympus, Sony, Samsung, & Panasonic have been doing for years???
Canon...doing nothing is doing nothing.   How could you have completely missed this boat!!!
Also your recent pricing on products brings nothing but resentment from a lot of loyal customers.
Sony is INNOVATING.  that's I-N-N-O-V-A-T-I-N-G...Please look it up...it is a word you are not familiar with any more.
Imagine what a better job you could have done with the A7r with your ability to make lenses. Imagine.

WHATS NEXT for me..The OlyMpus M1.  That is as close as I am getting to the letter "M". Who cares what Canon is doing with mirrorless?  NOTHING=NOTHING.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:01:56 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
Canon could take the lead in this new market, but to do so they would have to cannibalize their own products, which they won't do.

Canon has killed their product line once when they changed from FD to EOS mount. If they are certain mirrorless is the way of the future, they will have done the same for their DSLRs. But the truth is that worldwide sales of DSLRs still far outstrip that of mirrorless cameras at a ratio of about 3:1.. Even in places where sales of mirrorless cameras has picked up previously, e.g., Japan, that growth has stagnated in the past year. Just take a look at BCNRanking (Japan).

There is no need to play the role of armchair CEOs here. Canon knows what they are doing, far better than you and I.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »