June 18, 2018, 04:59:28 PM

Author Topic: software for designing wedding albums  (Read 11144 times)

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: software for designing wedding albums
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »
Indesign is a big program to learn, especially like any adobe product like photoshop.  It is the industry standard, along side with Quark when it comes to creating catalogs, flyers, brochures, books, etc...  You will have create everything from scratch assuming you dont have a template to jump off of...  You can create some awesome albums with indesign, but learning how to do it isn't as intuitive. Good luck with your endeavors.

the other issue with indesign ---I am still on the fence with this whole Creative Cloud thing.  So if I were to take a few weeks to learn indesign - then comes the hard question...do i pay $29 a month to use it?  Or do i go wit the full suite (I don't need it, but it would get me the updated PS).  I really wish I could find more people who have tried both fotofusion and indesign - cause right now, other than lots of grey hair, not seeing what makes indesign so much better (unless overly complicated = better...lol)

I'm with you on the Adobe CC. I refuse to rent my software.

I purchased Adobe Production Premium Suite....CS6.

I got mine from amazon.com where you can still get CDs....but if you want CS6 and can't find it on amazon, you can still get it from Adobe for download purchase. CS6 is good for me and I'm not RENTING my software, I'll not succumb to that either for quite awhile if I can help it.

Link for buying CS6 from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPHN

I personally applied to a local community college...only had to do application fee of about $20, and send in some transcripts. I got an .edu email address and photo student ID, and never had to sign up for a class, but I could and did use this to qualify for the Adobe Educational discount.
And yes, according to Adobe FAQs...you can use the educational versions for commercial usage for profit.
:)

HTH,

cayenne

As sucky as it is, I am thinking go ahead and go cloud.  I looked on ebay for the previous version, and it would run around $600!!!! (more if i wanted the fully updated version).  So to put that in rental terms --- I could spend $600 now on the older version which means I would never upgrade it - or - I could spend that same $600 over the course of 20 months (close to 2 years).  Eventually lightroom will be cloud only, and eventually I will want to upgrade my PS....so...dang it adobe...you got your claws in me!!!!!

LOL..hey, go for what works for ya....

I looked at CS6 and previous versions...and what currently was in CC.

I don't see THAT many updates that they've doing between CS6 and CC so far that would be deal killers for me.
And frankly, I'm not that conviced that once Adobe gets everyone locked into the rental mode with CC, that they'll be terribly motivated to keep innovating and coming up with new things and upgrades.

It actually just doesn't make that much fiscal sense to put too much time and effort into R&A once they have everyone paying monthly fees.

But even if they do..the upgrades in the past usually didn't warrant most people upgrading on every new version put out by Adobe, so, I'm hesitant to thing they will need that now either.

If you go that route (inDesign and CC)...do make sure and update this thread to let us know your progress with the software and your business doing albums!!!

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
Indesign is a big program to learn, especially like any adobe product like photoshop.  It is the industry standard, along side with Quark when it comes to creating catalogs, flyers, brochures, books, etc...  You will have create everything from scratch assuming you dont have a template to jump off of...  You can create some awesome albums with indesign, but learning how to do it isn't as intuitive. Good luck with your endeavors.

the other issue with indesign ---I am still on the fence with this whole Creative Cloud thing.  So if I were to take a few weeks to learn indesign - then comes the hard question...do i pay $29 a month to use it?  Or do i go wit the full suite (I don't need it, but it would get me the updated PS).  I really wish I could find more people who have tried both fotofusion and indesign - cause right now, other than lots of grey hair, not seeing what makes indesign so much better (unless overly complicated = better...lol)

I'm with you on the Adobe CC. I refuse to rent my software.

I purchased Adobe Production Premium Suite....CS6.

I got mine from amazon.com where you can still get CDs....but if you want CS6 and can't find it on amazon, you can still get it from Adobe for download purchase. CS6 is good for me and I'm not RENTING my software, I'll not succumb to that either for quite awhile if I can help it.

Link for buying CS6 from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPHN

I personally applied to a local community college...only had to do application fee of about $20, and send in some transcripts. I got an .edu email address and photo student ID, and never had to sign up for a class, but I could and did use this to qualify for the Adobe Educational discount.
And yes, according to Adobe FAQs...you can use the educational versions for commercial usage for profit.
:)

HTH,

cayenne

LOL..hey, go for what works for ya....

I looked at CS6 and previous versions...and what currently was in CC.

I don't see THAT many updates that they've doing between CS6 and CC so far that would be deal killers for me.
And frankly, I'm not that conviced that once Adobe gets everyone locked into the rental mode with CC, that they'll be terribly motivated to keep innovating and coming up with new things and upgrades.

It actually just doesn't make that much fiscal sense to put too much time and effort into R&A once they have everyone paying monthly fees.

But even if they do..the upgrades in the past usually didn't warrant most people upgrading on every new version put out by Adobe, so, I'm hesitant to thing they will need that now either.

If you go that route (inDesign and CC)...do make sure and update this thread to let us know your progress with the software and your business doing albums!!!

C

I hear ya man, it's not an easy call to make, especially because now that i am getting used to it, I rather like the indesign interface (while fotofusion is easy to use, it definitely feels like a downgrade now).

If the cost of indesign cs6 wasn't so high, i would for sure consider that as an option...but as of now - $600 - out of pocket vs $29 monthly, or going with the full suite for $50...or worse, spending $300 on fotofusion now then getting frustrated...LOL...  I think for sure fotofusion is off my radar now.b  It's really a matter of spend a big chunk now, or spend a big chunk, but over time...the over time idea sounds better...

As sucky as it is, I am thinking go ahead and go cloud.  I looked on ebay for the previous version, and it would run around $600!!!! (more if i wanted the fully updated version).  So to put that in rental terms --- I could spend $600 now on the older version which means I would never upgrade it - or - I could spend that same $600 over the course of 20 months (close to 2 years).  Eventually lightroom will be cloud only, and eventually I will want to upgrade my PS....so...dang it adobe...you got your claws in me!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:36:02 PM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »