April 18, 2014, 04:03:01 PM

Author Topic: 1D IV (?) rumor over at digicame. Merged 1D likely TBA?  (Read 2427 times)

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

1D IV (?) rumor over at digicame. Merged 1D likely TBA?
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D IV (?) rumor over at digicame. Merged 1D likely TBA?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Wishful Thinking?

Probably.  But I like the speculation of an October 18th announcement...happy birthday to me!   :D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »
@neuroanatomist: well, then...hope so for you!  8)
BTW: thx for your comment on my ISO question.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

gene_can_sing

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
Wishful thinking? Well, now that Nikon is most likely going to release something, Canon might be forced to make your wish come true. At least with some type of camera.

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
If merged, then the MP number must be heavily distorted. How are the 1Ds model users supposed to cooperate with less MP than with the predecessor?

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
definitely a wishlist.  if nothing else, Canon prides itself on scoping out Nikon's announcements and timing its announcements to follow.  if it's generally accepted that Nikon will be announcing on October 26th, there's no reason for Canon to jump the gun and have its own limelight stolen.  I don't think the 1Ds and 1D lines will get merged ... pretty much ever, since they are different cameras that do totally different things.  Look at Nikon, they have the same differentiation in their top cams, between the -x and -s models.  it exists for a reason.

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
I respectfully disagree. If the fresh Nikon rumor is any true, there is not much what is left to offer for a new 1Ds - let's suppose for a moment the upscaled 1D being FF and 27MP. Now, for a 1Ds that would require a lot more MP to make the difference, but current lenses might not keep up with such a density, plus an FF with 27MP (1.3@16MP upscaled to FF) would fulfill majority of user needs, taking away many former 1Ds users, whereas the market for the 1Ds is already quite small.

I don't think the 1Ds and 1D lines will get merged ... pretty much ever, since they are different cameras that do totally different things.  Look at Nikon, they have the same differentiation in their top cams, between the -x and -s models.  it exists for a reason.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »
I respectfully disagree. If the fresh Nikon rumor is any true, there is not much what is left to offer for a new 1Ds - let's suppose for a moment the upscaled 1D being FF and 27MP. Now, for a 1Ds that would require a lot more MP to make the difference, but current lenses might not keep up with such a density, plus an FF with 27MP (1.3@16MP upscaled to FF) would fulfill majority of user needs, taking away many former 1Ds users, whereas the market for the 1Ds is already quite small.

I don't think the 1Ds and 1D lines will get merged ... pretty much ever, since they are different cameras that do totally different things.  Look at Nikon, they have the same differentiation in their top cams, between the -x and -s models.  it exists for a reason.

I see your point Ivar, but I disagree about the lens vs pixel density aspect.  Canon's made no secret of the fact that they believe their newest II-series lenses to be able to resolve well into the 40-50 MP range ... in which case, a 1D camera could be in the 20+MP range, and a 1Ds camera could be in the 40+MP range.  definitely a pretty big gap there still.  and I think, for studio and landscape shooters that are looking for cheaper, more manageable, more travel-friendly alternatives to medium-format cameras (macfly comes to mind), Canon does need to get up into the 40-50 MP range to have a competitive product.  upscaling a 27MP image isn't going to cut it.

they will have to very shortly come out with new wide and standard primes to match its revamped telephoto lineup.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Now, for a 1Ds that would require a lot more MP to make the difference, but current lenses might not keep up with such a density

Current lenses seem to 'keep up with' the 18 MP APS-C sensor just fine, and show increased resolving power relative to the same lenses used on the previous 15 MP APS-C sensor.  The 15 MP to 18 MP bump, translated to FF-equivalent sensor size with the same pixel density, would be going from 38 MP to 46 MP.  Since we're not even close to the lower end of that range now, I don't see a problem there.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »
Now, for a 1Ds that would require a lot more MP to make the difference, but current lenses might not keep up with such a density

Current lenses seem to 'keep up with' the 18 MP APS-C sensor just fine, and show increased resolving power relative to the same lenses used on the previous 15 MP APS-C sensor.  The 15 MP to 18 MP bump, translated to FF-equivalent sensor size with the same pixel density, would be going from 38 MP to 46 MP.  Since we're not even close to the lower end of that range now, I don't see a problem there.

Well, the APS-C cameras use only the center part of lenses. If I recall correctly that was the argument for APS-H advocates not to go FF.

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

I see your point Ivar, but I disagree about the lens vs pixel density aspect.  Canon's made no secret of the fact that they believe their newest II-series lenses to be able to resolve well into the 40-50 MP range ... in which case, a 1D camera could be in the 20+MP range, and a 1Ds camera could be in the 40+MP range.  definitely a pretty big gap there still.  and I think, for studio and landscape shooters that are looking for cheaper, more manageable, more travel-friendly alternatives to medium-format cameras (macfly comes to mind), Canon does need to get up into the 40-50 MP range to have a competitive product.  upscaling a 27MP image isn't going to cut it.

they will have to very shortly come out with new wide and standard primes to match its revamped telephoto lineup.

I'm not at all against such a product, it is my imagination which is limited :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »