November 26, 2014, 06:28:32 PM

Author Topic: A Loose Roadmap [CR1]  (Read 14026 times)

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: A Loose Roadmap [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
I don't get why you would increase the filter size of the 35L to 77mm...   All the shorter focal range primes are 72mm threads..

The 24mm L is 77mm, as are most L zooms
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »

chito

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
I don't get why you would increase the filter size of the 35L to 77mm...   All the shorter focal range primes are 72mm threads..

The 24mm L is 77mm, as are most L zooms

I stand corrected, I didn't even know this..  I guess it's to reduce vignetting.. I like my 35L at 72mm though..

KBX500

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
"Two things were noted about 2012.
1.It’s the 25th anniversary of EOS
2.It’s an Olympic year as well as Euro 2012."

25th Anniversary of EOS in 2012 ?

Why hasn't that been mentioned before ?
How did so many people, including myself, miss that ?
That could be the missing clue to understanding the
puzzle that is Canon's release schedule.

Being the world's largest camera manufacturer means
that they've mastered marketing, and how can Canon let
such an opportunity pass by. Naturally they're holding
back product to make a big splash in the 25th year of EOS.

At the very least we'll see 1987 - 2012 and 25 Years
mentioned in all their print and electronic advertising.
Are we going to see badges of such on camera bodies ?
(I hope not)

So, it then makes sense that they'll wait until 2012 to
announce their entry into the mirrorless sweepstakes.
The same goes for all their single digit camera models,
and probably the XXD line, and because it's such a
special year we'll see a long awaited, new lens, or two,
and the expected updates of current lenses. And how
about a 580EX III. Canon's flashes are lagging behind
Nikon's.

I can't imagine that Canon will let Christmas come and go
without offering up another warmed over XXXD or XXXXD
model, but that is the market that is more likely to go for
a 25th Anniversary badged body, and perhaps pay extra for it.
Maybe they'll wait on that, or go ahead and release it early.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
No way this is ever going to happen.

Canon will NOT launch 3 pro grade camera's within a years time.
They have never done so and they will never do.

I start to think that Mr Canon Rumors has no idea about how a camera manufacturer works.
Up until now Mr CanonRumors has never had it right until 1 meaby 2 days before anouncement this is very much in contradiction with NikonRumors where things have been leaked out month before.

I sometimes even wonder why I bother to read this anyway... probably just for the funfactor.

I generally don't respond to stuff like this. Im fine with the critique.

However I want to clarify a couple of things

1 I had the first mention of a 7d almost 6 months before announcement
2 I was the first to post the 5d2 would match the 1ds in resolution and was crucified
3 I had the 1d4 specced over a month before it was announced
4 the 60d was shown almost a month before launch.

There are other examples. 

However, Canon hasn't really announced a lot of dslrs in the last 24 months.

I also mentioned in a previous thread I thought we'd only see 3 new dslrs in 2012.

Everyone wants to see new cameras, me included.

Yes, I've been wrong lots, but I only post what has been told to me. Just be thankful I do t post it all!

Enjoy your weekend.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:07:05 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

philHolland

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
Thoughts from the abyss.

You'll see 3 DSLR full frame bodies by this time next year.
The 1 series will be consolidated into one system/body.
There will be one full frame camera within the next 3 months.
It may be jointly announced with the video cameras this Fall.
There will be another announced March-ish, unless they push it up.
They will be in two separate price points and will not really compete with each other.
They could potentially announce both at the same time.
There will also be two large sensor "camcorders" to top out their video line up very soon.
Like 30 days or so soon.
Expect new lenses focused on video in the coming months.  Including f/1.8 or f/2 zooms at a high price point.

Lenses.  Updated 24-70mm f/2.8L perhaps with IS coming.  There was a 24-135mm f/4L IS that never saw the light of day several years ago, but I think this became the 24-105mm f/4L IS.  Also a 100mm f/1.8L IS, but due to the macro lens popularity we may never see it.  The longer super telephoto primes and zoom have been announced.  The 20mm f/2.8 could be updated "any day" to a f/2, f/1.8, or a remarkable f/1.4.  This hasn't been a high priority for them, but could cost in the $700-$1100 world if fast enough.  Canon hasn't made an 18mm prime and that could happen at f/2.8 or more likely as f/3.5 like many others to fill out there line up.  There is room in the price points to have something land cheaper than the 17mm f/4L T/S.  Also to note, there isn't a 75mm prime as that length hasn't been very popular among shooters, but there is likely an f/2 or f/1.8 prototype floating around.  The 35mm f/1.4L could get updated and I can see Canon going the f/1.2 route with that update.

Tarrum

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
@Canon Rumors - don't stress yourself over such idiots, the site is good and if he wouldn't want to visit it he wouldn't even be on the forum.

Go bi*ch somewhere else please.

I think the 7D is very, very likely next year, so is the 5D Mark II. But indeed, 3 in a year would be a bit unusual, so that may leave the 1Ds Mark IV for this year, but almost definitely before the Olympics. When might the Rebels come out then, if early 2012 is 1Ds, middle is 5D, then 7D. It truly is a mistery, but these cameras are coming, that's the most important part  ;D

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
@Canon Rumors - don't stress yourself over such idiots, the site is good and if he wouldn't want to visit it he wouldn't even be on the forum.

Go bi*ch somewhere else please.

I think the 7D is very, very likely next year, so is the 5D Mark II. But indeed, 3 in a year would be a bit unusual, so that may leave the 1Ds Mark IV for this year, but almost definitely before the Olympics. When might the Rebels come out then, if early 2012 is 1Ds, middle is 5D, then 7D. It truly is a mistery, but these cameras are coming, that's the most important part  ;D

I second that whole-heartedly.  No need to beat up on CR Guy for doing what the site is all about.  Now if CR Guy doesn't do his job and posts crap but rates it CR3 then have at him :)

While it might be unusual for Canon to release 3 bodies in 12 months, these are unusual times.  1Ds4 is long overdue, 5D3 is due, and within 12 months 7D2 will be on deck.  Combine that with competitive pressure from Nikon and Sony and I don't think it would outlandish to think we might see all three bodies... 1D (merged), 5D3, and 7D2 all between now and Photokina!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »

UncleFester

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »

Believe me, I want a 5Diii as much as anyone, but Canon is not going to release a new one until sales of the current one begin to slip below acceptable levels.

And that's not going to happen as long as there is nothing in it's price range that can match it's IQ.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »

Believe me, I want a 5Diii as much as anyone, but Canon is not going to release a new one until sales of the current one begin to slip below acceptable levels.

And that's not going to happen as long as there is nothing in it's price range that can match it's IQ.

We've gone from rumors of 3 new DSLRs in 2011 to none.

I'm starting to wonder what the true impact of that earthquake was on Canon/Nikon ...

And then there's Sony.

What if the earthquake pushed back the cameras far enough that they'd be post-Sony and thus not able to get a foot hold?

Or are (or were?) they waiting for the availability and price of components to be suitable?

There has been nothing substantial from neither Canon nor Nikon for too long. What's going on?

Is their next-gen sensor too hard to get right?

Also, if Canon can bring a 200-400+1.4x to market, that will create a substantial differentiator in lens offerings from what any other party can offer. If I was Canon, I'd have 110% effort on that lens, regardless of price.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 05:33:01 PM »
Hopefully "higher end shorter focal lengths" equals a 14-24mm f2.8L
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

UncleFester

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »

They really don't need to do a lot with the 5D to make it a killer dslr. But people are expecting a digic V when really a IV with a few more megapixels  and faster autufocus may be the magic bullet.

But breaking that news to Joe Consumer....

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

They really don't need to do a lot with the 5D to make it a killer dslr. But people are expecting a digic V when really a IV with a few more megapixels  and faster autufocus may be the magic bullet.

Why would a Digic4 be preferable (a magic bullet) over a Digic5, am I misunderstanding your comment?  Higher resolution and improved autofocus is almost a given, but then I can't understand the suggestion to keep Digic4.

Dave

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
Why would you release it ASAP?
Simply: Sony, Nikon & Co aren't just sitting around... Canon is far behind the current development. And many people are waiting. And people like me are considering switching to Sony Alpha 77. Despite the kit lense I have two lenses that I could sell without a cent loss. And I know some people in a similar position. I have a working 350D and I CAN wait. But I wait an eternity.

Canon is not going to release a new one until sales of the current one begin to slip below acceptable levels.
And exactly THAT strategy is a big mistake. If the sales levels are falling it is to late.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »

Why would a Digic4 be preferable (a magic bullet) over a Digic5, am I misunderstanding your comment?  Higher resolution and improved autofocus is almost a given, but then I can't understand the suggestion to keep Digic4.

To add to the above:
Canon would not want to keep two processor architectures.  In order to maintain economies of scale, they will need to move all of their production to Digic V.
While I am sure that each Digic generation is not just one chip - just the same way not all Core i5s are made equal, it makes no sense for Canon to keep Digic IV and Digiv V - it will be too costly.  The higher end cameras will outstrip the capacity of dual Digic IVs so the need to move is there.

Canon will need to find as much commonality of components such as processors and sensors in order to compete and ensure that costs are kept under control.  That is probably why the 7D, 60D, 550D and 600D share a sensor.
It will be very interesting to see if the 5DIII and 1DsIV share a sensor! - That would be a way for Canon to get up the volumes needed to control costs of the 1Ds line, which is a very low volume body.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

UncleFester

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »

Not just a Digic IV, but a 5D that performs like we were expecting it to when it came out (mark II).

However, If Digic V only performs marginally better and w/o the 5D II's  kinks worked out, there will be much pissing and moaning for the next ~3-4 years. Not something Canon wants associated with the V.

Maybe this is what Canon is trying to avoid. The 5D series is in the spotlight with the 1D series, imo. Or even more so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »