July 31, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Author Topic: 70D Diagonal Image Processing (DIP) Defect  (Read 3302 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: 70D Diagonal Image Processing (DIP) Defect
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
TheNickDude's explanation seems most plausible to me, though, so while it might not be 100% confirmed (yet), it still falls into the "likely" category in my opinion. 

Highly unlikely. The artifacts are in the OOF parts only.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »

Famateur

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
TheNickDude's explanation seems most plausible to me, though, so while it might not be 100% confirmed (yet), it still falls into the "likely" category in my opinion. 

Highly unlikely. The artifacts are in the OOF parts only.

That's a curious statement. Isn't bokeh a phenomenon only found in out-of-focus areas?

Have you seen kits (or DIY cardboard equivalent) for making bokeh into the shapes of musical notes, snowflakes, hearts, et cetera? Those shapes only appear in the bokeh (out-of-focus areas) and not all across the image.

In TheNickDude's example photo, you can see the cable release reproduced in the bokeh circles. This is the equivalent of the custom bokeh kits except the reverse (instead of blocking all but the the cut-out shape in the bokeh, it shows all but the shape/obstruction in the bokeh).

Maybe I'm missing something...

regnwaldo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Look Guys, you are all saying the things that passed through my mind. YES it is camera shake. But ALWAYS IN THE SAME DIRECTION??. And yes, the birds ARE blurred. BUT IN A DIFFERENT MANNER TO THE BG. The birds and BG seem to be 'different' images. The Welcome Swallow in mud has a bg HEAVILLY streaked but a foreground mud not significantly affected. The problem has NEVER occurred with nearly 1000 pics using the same lens on the 5D Mk II. The main reason for posting is indeed 'Has anyone else experienced the problem?'

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
You did not say whether there was a filter. Some longer lenses can be affected by that.

It is not image processing problem for sure.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
What lens are you using?  You say 500mm, which one.  Not too many put a filter on the front of a 500mm lens since they already have one in the rear.

Orangutan

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
YES it is camera shake. But ALWAYS IN THE SAME DIRECTION??.
You can't be sure of that without well-controlled tests: the eye can be fooled when there are multiple sources of distortion.

The birds and BG seem to be 'different' images.
If this doesn't happen with all your lenses, then it's very unlikely to be a sensor or processing problem.  It would be weird, VERY weird for Canon to have their firmware record the raw image differently based on type of lens.  Sure, it's possible that JPEG processing might take into account the lens characteristics, but not the raw image.

The problem has NEVER occurred with nearly 1000 pics using the same lens on the 5D Mk II.
There may be other usage differences between the two that account for that.  Can you do controlled tests side-by-side?  Are you using a faster shutter to account for the crop "zoom" factor of the 70D?

The main reason for posting is indeed 'Has anyone else experienced the problem?
So far the answer seems to be negative, so it seems unlikely to be a design flaw of the 70D model.

It's possible there are multiple issues combining for this apparent effect, try to isolate one variable at a time.  Also, could you post your image settings?  Also, try shooting at 1/2000th.

I'd be interested to see the results of your tests.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
The problem has NEVER occurred with nearly 1000 pics using the same lens on the 5D Mk II.
There may be other usage differences between the two that account for that.  Can you do controlled tests side-by-side?  Are you using a faster shutter to account for the crop "zoom" factor of the 70D?

He should compare the same lens on the 5D2 and on the 70D, same position, same SS, good light, no camera shake, same aperture,  the FF image cropped. Did I say no filter?  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »