June 23, 2018, 07:54:38 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up  (Read 69547 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

Anyone want a $7k door-stop?

I'll buy it, but they are $4,199 new and yours needs work, I'd give you $3,200.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

The_Pork_Hunt

• Canonflex
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »

$7,000 new in Australia.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:11 PM »

$7,000 new in Australia.

$6,000 in the US...but $4200 gray market on eBay and those sellers ship worldwide (Oz was still on the planet, last I checked ;) ).
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

danski0224

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:46 AM »
(Oz was still on the planet, last I checked ;) ).

Strange place though, with the really big bugs and backwards flushing toilets....

;D

1dx sucks

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
I work for a newspaper and we bought two Canon 1DX's to replace older equipment.

Both IDX's were defective. We returned one and sent the other to Canon.  This will be the third time we're sending the 1DX back to Canon for the same reasons.

1.  The mirror / screen gets small black specs in it. Some are clear others look like random shaped dark pieces of broken black glass.

2.  The Auto Focus stops working. First we notice a lack of focus, then the lenses hunts a lot, then it does not focus at all.

The Canon 1DX we bought had a white "A" in the battery compartment. We were told it was adjusted by Canon after it was made so all of the above would not happen.

When we sent it in the first time it was returned with a white dot next to the "A" but the same thing happened again.   And again, splash in the screen and a lack of focus all the same things happend after only a few shots.

We sent the 1DX back to Canon again and it was returned saying the "MIRROR BOX" was replaced.   After a few 100 shots, we were all amazed that this happened again the very same way.

The Camera has been to Canon so much time that we can't return it to the retailer and now it's back with Canon for a 3rd time.   If Canon fixed this after is was manufactured, this is really the 4th time Canon is fixing the same issue not the third.

We did some research and now we see there are many people all over the world with the same issues with the 1DX having defects or defective AF and this oil splash.

Are there others out there with this same issue?  Have you had to have your new 1DX fixed 3 or 4 times?

Canon cannot seem to fix this issue and based on a Google we did, the 1DX seems to be defective in design itself.  One note I read said something about oil being the issue and another about broken plastic.

This seems never ending  :(

Martin

My 1dx has specks in the view finder as well. Sent it to canon repair center and just got it an hour ago. I tested the camera and the specks came back. My camera's serial number is way off the range of serial numbers for recall but still has the same issues as the defective cameras. I exchanged the camera 4x and still getting the same issues for each of the 4 brand new 1dx cameras.
In my opinion, everybody should wait and not purchase any 1dx  until canon resolves this on going issue permanently .  I paid $6700 for a defective camera and still defective after the repairs done. pentaprism and focusing screen have been replaced but the issue was never resolved. I will be selling my 1dx camera and go back to nikon d4s.

Mitch.Conner

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • It was all a lie.
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »
(Oz was still on the planet, last I checked ;) ).

Strange place though, with the really big bugs and backwards flushing toilets....

;D

The myth that will not die.  http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

R1-7D

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
:-[
I had oil splatters rather quickly after purchasing - cleaned the sensor myself a few times, but they re-appeared rapidly. Sent to Canon for a free fix and haven't had the issue since (ca. 25K shots since the fix). No other problems.

Sorry to hear about yours.

Thats interesting Vern that the lube splashes ceased on yours. After 5 sensor cleans mine kept going.

That's really unfortunate.  :(

In my case, I don't have any lube splashes, neither before nor after the recall service.  Occasional dust, a bit less than my 5DII seemed to accumulate.

I had my 1dx servcied due to specks on the viewfinder even thought the serial number is way out of the recalled range. I got it today with the comment that the pentprism has been replaced  and put in a new focus screen.  After I tested a few shots the specks came back.
I discourage everyone to purchase any 1dx for now[/u]. I am afraid that canon has not solved the issue yet. I have returned 4 1dx cameras due to the same issue. I am selling my idx and go back to nikon d4s. I have not had any similar issues with nikon cameras

I spent $6700 for a brand new camera and i think it is not worth the aggreavation sending back a totally new camera for repairs.Please pass this message until canon truly fixes the issue for good!

I bought a 1DX last summer (June 16th, to be precise) and it too developed black specks in the viewfinder; so much so that it actually looked like heavy vignetting inside the prism. I sent the camera into Canon less than a month after purchase and they replaced the whole pentaprism unit (normally an $800 repair). At the time they told me that they normally won't do replacements of that nature for free because they consider debris in the prism to be a cosmetic issue and not related to the camera's performance.

Well...without going too much into the saga I had with Canon (they damaged my camera numerous times and misaligned the transmissive LCD in the viewfinder so the focusing points were off) I eventually got rid of that 1DX and got a new one.

So far (knock on wood), the new 1DX which has about 3000-4000 shots on it hasn't developed the black speck problem. It is from a newer production run, however. My old 1DX, even after the pentaprism change, did develop more specks as time went on.

From my understanding there is a plastic piece somewhere within the shutter mechanism that is being slightly shaved down every time the shutter actuates. Apparently some 1DX's have it worse than others.

Sorry for your aggravation with the camera. It's a great camera but it certainly isn't perfect...and I agree, Canon needs to take responsibility for it not working the way it should.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:28:07 PM by R1-7D »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »

JMZawodny

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
    • JMZawodny Observations
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »
I have to wonder if this whole thread is legit.  In this litigious society, I think that Canon would have been the focus of a class action lawsuit if any of this were true.  I guess I'll be spending way too much time on Google this evening.
When you are right you are the teacher, when you are wrong you are the student. A win-win scenario if ever there was one.

R1-7D

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2015, 10:32:50 PM »
I have to wonder if this whole thread is legit.  In this litigious society, I think that Canon would have been the focus of a class action lawsuit if any of this were true.  I guess I'll be spending way too much time on Google this evening.

I'm sure this thread is "legit." If you do a Google search on the 1DX you will see that quite a few people have had problems with various components on it. The PCB circuit board is also quite a common component that conks outs on these cameras, for example.

The other thing that is quite common is the debris in viewfinder problem. A lot of people complain about it, and I have seen at least one or two others besides me who have had their pentaprism replaced because of it. Is it a huge problem? Well, that depends. If it's a few black specks...then no, I wouldn't worry about it. When it happened to me, however, there were hundreds and hundreds of black particles appearing in a two week old camera. That should not happen.

Let's face it: there are issues with this camera that Canon has refused to address. You need only look at some of the leaked Canon documents to show that they are aware of certain problems with their products that they are refusing to acknowledge publicly. The 1DX, for example, has a problem with its autofocus in extreme cold and Canon knows this.

As far as why there has not been a lawsuit... well to me it's not really surprising. First, there are relatively few 1DX owners compared to 5D Mark III owners and 6D owners, so the amount of people finding each other and coming together is small. Second, while some people, myself included, have had enormous problems and gone through hell with these cameras, a great many people haven't had an issue. I would go so far as to say that the majority of people who own 1DX's haven't had a problem. And finally, third, I would say that if Canon is pushed long and hard enough by those people who have had faulty cameras and poor service they will do something about it (it's just not easy getting them to go down this path).

I suspect that the 1DX Mark II will address some of the weaker and less durable components of the 1DX. There will likely be issues with it too though, however. These cameras are quite high tech...and the more moving parts and more complex the design, the more there is something to go wrong.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:48:41 PM by R1-7D »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »

Hey thanks!  BTW, I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones  4X.  Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs. I got back the camera but the issue still exist. Makes me wonder how those pros take care of those issues. The camera has a huge potential hence I switched from nikon to canon. I guess I will wait until a newer model comes up and hopefully taken care of this issue.

Generally they don't treat them like very expensive toys or jewelery. They are just tools and having dust in the viewfinder isn't an issue for most pros, neither is having spots on the sensor or any number of other 'issues' that keen amateurs and enthusiasts have the time and energy to obsess about. Sure some products in any production run are lemons, but anybody that thinks they got 4 defective products in a row is statistically more likely to win the lottery (though somebody does) or suffers from OCD and doesn't understand these things are just image making tools.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »

Hey thanks!  BTW, I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones  4X.  Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs. I got back the camera but the issue still exist. Makes me wonder how those pros take care of those issues. The camera has a huge potential hence I switched from nikon to canon. I guess I will wait until a newer model comes up and hopefully taken care of this issue.

Generally they don't treat them like very expensive toys or jewelery. They are just tools and having dust in the viewfinder isn't an issue for most pros, neither is having spots on the sensor or any number of other 'issues' that keen amateurs and enthusiasts have the time and energy to obsess about. Sure some products in any production run are lemons, but anybody that thinks they got 4 defective products in a row is statistically more likely to win the lottery (though somebody does) or suffers from OCD and doesn't understand these things are just image making tools.
I don't want to dismiss the OP or others who may have legitimate issues, but some people on this and other forums do seem really obsessed about certain problems.  I have dust in my viewfinders and lenses, spots on my sensor I and Canon can't seem to clean and my AF doesn't work 100% of the time on every lens, but it doesn't keep me from taking pictures.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

I don't want to dismiss the OP or others who may have legitimate issues, but some people on this and other forums do seem really obsessed about certain problems.  I have dust in my viewfinders and lenses, spots on my sensor I and Canon can't seem to clean and my AF doesn't work 100% of the time on every lens, but it doesn't keep me from taking pictures.

Heck, every camera I have ever owned gets dust in the viewfinder. I've always thought this was just the nature of the beast. I mean, how can one keep dust out of a camera that is opened to the elements every time a lens change is performed? I've never sent one in for dust. Never. Oil spots that build up on the sensor would upset me though. I just have not had the problem, but I don't yet own a 1Dx either.

Exchanging a camera that many times in a month? Good Lord! "I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones  4X.  Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs." WHAT?! WHAT?!!!! That just seems too weird to be believable to me.

I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off. For every one person that has a problem and posts it across multiple websites under different user names (just because different user names for different sites makes sense... not because they are dishonest) there are a thousand more who have not had any trouble at all that never post ANYTHING... good or bad. That doesn't count the outright trolls who get their jollies posting negatively about products they do not even own.

I honestly feel for those having a real problem. However, calling into question the honor and work ethic of the Japanese (somebody did) is just plain hysterical behavior. Heck, at least they still manufacture cameras.

Someone said that they can remember when Japanese products meant quality. Yup, but I am old enough to remember when it meant cheap junk too.

Anyone so disgusted with Canon over this that they are going to switch to another manufacturer surely wouldn't be so unethical as to unload all their Canon "junk" onto some unsuspecting craigslist or ebay buyer would they? Of course not... so just box it all up and send it to me. I'll pay for the postage and you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't charge some poor sap to haul your crap away. Yup, I'll even take those horrible 1Dx's.  ;D

4 exchanges since December huh? I just can't get over that one. Twice is okay, but 4 times is too much for anybody. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I wouldn't sell you a bologna sandwich! You've had 5 (FIVE!) brand spanking new 1Dx cameras in your hands since December. Wow! Your screen name is "1dx sucks". Is that why you joined this forum? To spin that tale?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:22:36 PM by CanonFanBoy »
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

1dx sucks

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »

Heck, every camera I have ever owned gets dust in the viewfinder. I've always thought this was just the nature of the beast. I mean, how can one keep dust out of a camera that is opened to the elements every time a lens change is performed? I've never sent one in for dust. Never. Oil spots that build up on the sensor would upset me though. I just have not had the problem, but I don't yet own a 1Dx either.

Exchanging a camera that many times in a month? Good Lord! "I got my camera December 2014 and had it exchange for new ones  4X.  Two times, for me is ok, but 4x???. Then I got tired of returning defective cameras so I sent the last one for repairs." WHAT?! WHAT?!!!! That just seems too weird to be believable to me.

I want a 1Dx so bad I can taste it. It is almost a sin as bad as I want it. If I can ever swing it, I'll get one. This thread doesn't scare me off. For every one person that has a problem and posts it across multiple websites under different user names (just because different user names for different sites makes sense... not because they are dishonest) there are a thousand more who have not had any trouble at all that never post ANYTHING... good or bad. That doesn't count the outright trolls who get their jollies posting negatively about products they do not even own.

I honestly feel for those having a real problem. However, calling into question the honor and work ethic of the Japanese (somebody did) is just plain hysterical behavior. Heck, at least they still manufacture cameras.

Someone said that they can remember when Japanese products meant quality. Yup, but I am old enough to remember when it meant cheap junk too.

Anyone so disgusted with Canon over this that they are going to switch to another manufacturer surely wouldn't be so unethical as to unload all their Canon "junk" onto some unsuspecting craigslist or ebay buyer would they? Of course not... so just box it all up and send it to me. I'll pay for the postage and you can sleep well at night knowing you didn't charge some poor sap to haul your crap away. Yup, I'll even take those horrible 1Dx's.  ;D

4 exchanges since December huh? I just can't get over that one. Twice is okay, but 4 times is too much for anybody. LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I wouldn't sell you a bologna sandwich! You've had 5 (FIVE!) brand spanking new 1Dx cameras in your hands since December. Wow! Your screen name is "1dx sucks". Is that why you joined this forum? To spin that tale?
I am so sorry I might have touched a very sensitive issue and might have hurt your feelings.  1dx sucks but it has huge potentials when the problem has been resolved permanently. The specks I can deal with but the effect it will do eventually. I  guess what Im really concern about is that the problem was not really resolved and I am gonna have to keep on sending my camera for repairs just like others and that is not the way it should be  for a $6700 camera. I just want to let people know that. I am not saying that I will not buy canon cameras anymore ...  just the 1dx. I still have my 5dIII.  Who knows the next flagship would be a lot better. It was a horrible experience for me especially when I had to send my last 1 dx for repairs and they said that all was replaced and tested but then the issue still exists. And I am not the only one who had the same experiences with their 1dx getting repaired but the problem still exist after the repairs. I am  just being proactive. I guess for those of you whose warranty has expired will have to make the best of it and I hope that this mirror box issue will be resolved once and for all. For me, I still have the option of returning it and wait until a new robust model comes out. Sorry If I came out really harsh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »

1dx sucks

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
Goldwing- do you by any chance remember where you foudn that info on the plastic rubbing agaisnt the steel? I'd liek thei nfo incase Canon starts claiming the debri is from somethign else-

I agree that it's like stealing- It's like Honda or Chevy or whatever, selling an auto where the breaks constantly stick and rub due to a defect which can't be fixed mechanically, and at best they just keep doing a temporary 'fix' and sendign it back to the customer- eventually the parts will wear out, and basically the company is saying 'Heck with you customers- it's your problem, not ours- live with it" instead of doing hte right thing-

Here... it's happening all over the world!  http://www.photocounter.com.au/2013/canon-warranty-dispute-leads-to-claims-of-fraud/#comment-14152  Canon knows the 1DX is defective

I guess some people are being passive about this issue. Nobody wants to go through the trouble of sending a new $6700 camera for repairs.

Lesson learned for me: Make sure that I have done my thorough research on a product before buying it. Thank God for internet forums. I could have avoided all these headaches if I have done my research well!

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
Sadly, it isn't the majority that have minimal issues who post in any forum. On a positive note, my 1DX was one of the first ones purchases and recalled, repaired, returned and no further issues. ;)
1DX II, 5DS R, 7D II, Sony RX100 IV and lots of " L" lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »