August 20, 2014, 05:21:38 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up  (Read 14623 times)

GoldWing

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 1DX
    • View Profile
    • Nihonshoki tanaka
I work for a newspaper and we bought two Canon 1DX's to replace older equipment.

Both IDX's were defective. We returned one and sent the other to Canon.  This will be the third time we're sending the 1DX back to Canon for the same reasons.

1.  The mirror / screen gets small black specs in it. Some are clear others look like random shaped dark pieces of broken black glass.

2.  The Auto Focus stops working. First we notice a lack of focus, then the lenses hunts a lot, then it does not focus at all.

The Canon 1DX we bought had a white "A" in the battery compartment. We were told it was adjusted by Canon after it was made so all of the above would not happen.

When we sent it in the first time it was returned with a white dot next to the "A" but the same thing happened again.   And again, splash in the screen and a lack of focus all the same things happend after only a few shots.

We sent the 1DX back to Canon again and it was returned saying the "MIRROR BOX" was replaced.   After a few 100 shots, we were all amazed that this happened again the very same way.

The Camera has been to Canon so much time that we can't return it to the retailer and now it's back with Canon for a 3rd time.   If Canon fixed this after is was manufactured, this is really the 4th time Canon is fixing the same issue not the third.

We did some research and now we see there are many people all over the world with the same issues with the 1DX having defects or defective AF and this oil splash.

Are there others out there with this same issue?  Have you had to have your new 1DX fixed 3 or 4 times?

Canon cannot seem to fix this issue and based on a Google we did, the 1DX seems to be defective in design itself.  One note I read said something about oil being the issue and another about broken plastic.

This seems never ending  :(

Martin
What happened to the honor of Japan

canon rumors FORUM

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:19:37 PM »
I'm dealign with htis very issue as we speak- My sensor arrived in absolutely filthy condition, and this was a brand new camera too- I shot with it that way for a year thinking it was just dust, avoiding light areas in my photos so I wouldn't have to work like a dog removign htem in post- I finally by accident found out abotu their product advisory about 3 weeks ago, and arranged for canon to fix the proble, and of course clean the sensor- They fixed it, but only cleaned the center of hte sensor as you will see in the following photo- look especially at the upper and lower corners- http://www.flickr.com/photos/55331349@N05/10348299754/#sizes/k/in/photostream/

I've enhanced the tonal contrast in the sky shot, but beleive me, even without enhancement, the spots are so prominent and so prevelent that tryign to fix the spots in post is a ngithmare- I sent Canon tech the link to the photo and let it be known that this was the very first shot after IU got it back from their tech service- now htey want me to send it in again- after beign without my camera for a week+ already=- Right during fall foliage season too!

I beleive the issue is bits of plastic from the wear and tear on the camera due to insufficient lubrication in the mirror box-

My camera is out of warrenty next month- so not sure how they are goign to keep fixing it- I had just sent in the camera two weeks ago, and they tried to make me pay for soem other repairs that were needed claimign it was 'out of warrenty' (I hadnb't sent in my warrenty card unfortunately-) but I was able to show that it was still under a year old, and the other issues were fixed (My portrait mode scroll wheel never woerkd right, and was gettign other issues liek 'caution 02' which was fixed by firmware update etc-)

I'm not very happy with htis situuation at all- I literally spent every last dime I had on this camera- was suepr excited to get a 'rugged' camera, thinking it would last a good long time- only to find out I may have gotten screwede by gettign an early model with mechanical issues that might cause premature breakdown

IF anyoen else is havign hte issues, please get with canon to fix the issues as them ore peopel that are havign the problem, the likelier canon is to make good on the issue- But perhaps they will put it off utnil people's mirror boxes begin actually failing due to mechanical failure- (which will likely happen AFTER the warrenty has run out- Hopefulyl htis issue can be resolved soon- but it doesn't look like it's goign to be- so those of us with hte early models are apparentyl crap out of luck-

The 1DX has huge promise, but the early models seem to be an issue at htis point

one more way to tell if you have early model is if the 6'th number from your left- countign left to right, on hte seriel number is a 0-7 I guess- but also look in battery compartment for either an A or a black mark on the silver knob just inside hte compartment
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:23:10 PM by Nazareth »

arbitrage

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
I have been following the issue for some time.  My 1DX is only 1 month old and has a number 8 in the serial number's 6th position so this supposedly means that it is manufactured with the "fix" already in place.  My understanding of the "fix" for cameras that aren't showing any AF problems is just extra lubrication to prevent the black plastic particles from wearing off and spreading themselves throughout the camera internals.  Cameras with actual AF problems are getting the whole mirror box replaced I think.

Now, I personally have not had any AF problems.  However, within a few hundred shots I started seeing the small black spots in the viewfinder.  They first appeared in the upper right and now I have them in all 4 corners but not many or any in the centre of the frame.  I also was getting a lot of oil on the sensor that required a wet swab cleaning as my first attempt with a dry brush just smeared the oil across the sensor.  The wet clean worked well.

I am worried.  The most detailed information about this problems is in these two DPreview threads.  The one poster "tvstaff" is very adamant that there is still a big problem even with serial numbers past the recall (i.e. #8s as no #9s have been reported in the wild yet).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3553325
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3514406

Canon Canada has told the one poster on DPReview that the specs in the prism area (these are the black dots seen through the VF) are not part of the recall problem and don't affect the actual picture (which is true, they are just ugly to look at and disappointing on a $7000 camera).  They said they could replace the prism but that would be not covered under warranty or under the recall.

I haven't contacted Canon yet but I'm keeping a close eye on the problem.  What we don't know if is the oil just from the excess lubricant to fix the original problem or are these black spots actual physical particles that is wearing off and eventually will affect the AF sensor from working as some have experienced.
7D\5D2\5D3\1D4\1DX\600II\300II\200-400Lw1.4TC\100-400\100L\24-105\17-40\24-70II\70-200f/2.8LISII\40pancake\Bower14f/2.8\Fuji XE-2\Fuji 18-55\Fuji23f/1.4\RRS34L\BH-55\and a bunch of other stuff.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
I suspect that you are seeing a "A" because they have developed a different fix.  A few people have noted this, so it happens, and may be a assembly issue or out of tolerance parts.  Canon does seem to keep after a issue until it gets fixed.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
Here the warranty on all electronics goes like this:

3rd time handed it for the same fault=Product replaced. Always. No question.

Worth checking out if it's anything like that, that could help out.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
At least they didn't just released a 1.1dx

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
Arbitrage said [[My understanding of the "fix" for cameras that aren't showing any AF problems is just extra lubrication to prevent the black plastic particles from wearing off and spreading themselves throughout the camera internals.]]

That's what worries me, how did they 'fix' the situation? Spray soem silicon on the parts that rub together? IF so, then this lubrication WILL eventually rub off too, and then we'll have dry plastic parts rubbing agaisnt each other spreading debri throughout hte camera again, and the plastic parts will further be damaged from further wear and tear because the mirror box mechanisms were not properly constructed right fro mthe beginning-

I have read TVSTAFF's posts before- and he brigns up soem good points- one of which I mentioend above-

[[Canon Canada has told the one poster on DPReview that the specs in the prism area (these are the black dots seen through the VF) are not part of the recall problem and don't affect the actual picture (which is true, they are just ugly to look at and disappointing on a $7000 camera).  They said they could replace the prism but that would be not covered under warranty or under the recall.]]

That's funny because everythign I've read, they are a direct result of the faulty mirror box mechanisms causign hte debri throughout hte camera- and quite honestly, where else is htis debri going in the camera? Is it landing in delicate electronic areas?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

GoldWing

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 1DX
    • View Profile
    • Nihonshoki tanaka
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 12:31:58 AM »
Arbitrage said [[My understanding of the "fix" for cameras that aren't showing any AF problems is just extra lubrication to prevent the black plastic particles from wearing off and spreading themselves throughout the camera internals.]]

That's what worries me, how did they 'fix' the situation? Spray soem silicon on the parts that rub together? IF so, then this lubrication WILL eventually rub off too, and then we'll have dry plastic parts rubbing agaisnt each other spreading debri throughout hte camera again, and the plastic parts will further be damaged from further wear and tear because the mirror box mechanisms were not properly constructed right fro mthe beginning-

I have read TVSTAFF's posts before- and he brigns up soem good points- one of which I mentioend above-

[[Canon Canada has told the one poster on DPReview that the specs in the prism area (these are the black dots seen through the VF) are not part of the recall problem and don't affect the actual picture (which is true, they are just ugly to look at and disappointing on a $7000 camera).  They said they could replace the prism but that would be not covered under warranty or under the recall.]]

That's funny because everythign I've read, they are a direct result of the faulty mirror box mechanisms causign hte debri throughout hte camera- and quite honestly, where else is htis debri going in the camera? Is it landing in delicate electronic areas?

I did some research and it's a piece of plastic that rubs up against a piece of steel every time the shutter is pressed.  Common sense would tell you that at some point the steel wins!   It's like when we were kids and played paper, stone sissors.

You can only put so much oil on the piece and at some point it wears out.  No amout of oil can solve this issue. It's a piece of plastic rubbing up on a piece of steel. At some point the plastic breaks and your 1DX is wothless.

If Canon knew this and still sold the cameras to people it's just like stealing in my book.

Worse yet!  Canon now knows it and is still selling the 1DX.

Worse worse..... There are people with 1DX cameras that could fail at important times.

Worse worse worse...  Canon knows this and is doing nothing but sending defective camaeras back to their clients.

The Japanese used to have honor and pride in their products.  I remember when made in Japan was associated with quality... I guess those days are gone.  No BUSHIDO.  When the old Japanese leaders of industry passed away so did the honor of their products!!!!  The Canon 1DX is now proof that Japanese Manufacturing has lost ground to China. I never thought I would live to see the day. 

Fuzzy Caveman

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:16:05 AM »
The Japanese used to have honor and pride in their products.  I remember when made in Japan was associated with quality... I guess those days are gone.  No BUSHIDO.  When the old Japanese leaders of industry passed away so did the honor of their products!!!!  The Canon 1DX is now proof that Japanese Manufacturing has lost ground to China. I never thought I would live to see the day.

I guess I'll go back to my happy meal toy with cadmium in it.

Nazareth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »
Goldwing- do you by any chance remember where you foudn that info on the plastic rubbing agaisnt the steel? I'd liek thei nfo incase Canon starts claiming the debri is from somethign else-

I agree that it's like stealing- It's like Honda or Chevy or whatever, selling an auto where the breaks constantly stick and rub due to a defect which can't be fixed mechanically, and at best they just keep doing a temporary 'fix' and sendign it back to the customer- eventually the parts will wear out, and basically the company is saying 'Heck with you customers- it's your problem, not ours- live with it" instead of doing hte right thing-

GoldWing

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 1DX
    • View Profile
    • Nihonshoki tanaka
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:22 AM »
Goldwing- do you by any chance remember where you foudn that info on the plastic rubbing agaisnt the steel? I'd liek thei nfo incase Canon starts claiming the debri is from somethign else-

I agree that it's like stealing- It's like Honda or Chevy or whatever, selling an auto where the breaks constantly stick and rub due to a defect which can't be fixed mechanically, and at best they just keep doing a temporary 'fix' and sendign it back to the customer- eventually the parts will wear out, and basically the company is saying 'Heck with you customers- it's your problem, not ours- live with it" instead of doing hte right thing-

Here... it's happening all over the world!  http://www.photocounter.com.au/2013/canon-warranty-dispute-leads-to-claims-of-fraud/#comment-14152  Canon knows the 1DX is defective

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
Anyone know ca how many actuations before this happens?

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
I would also like to know the shutter counts from folks experiencing this problem.
I've had my 1DX for almost a year now and have been problem free.  However, I will be out in So Cal next month and plan on having my camera checked, per the Service Bulliten, at the Canon Service Ctr in Irvine. 
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
I would also like to know the shutter counts from folks experiencing this problem.
I've had my 1DX for almost a year now and have been problem free.  However, I will be out in So Cal next month and plan on having my camera checked, per the Service Bulliten, at the Canon Service Ctr in Irvine.

FWIW mine is at 58.000 and no problems so far, it has been in for re-lubrication.

duydaniel

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
Very interesting. I wonder if this is the case with the 5d3 too?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »