November 28, 2014, 05:57:29 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up  (Read 16927 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 1DX defective Mirror Boxes - Screen Splash - AF Lock-up
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
It's a piece of plastic rubbing up on a piece of steel. At some point the plastic breaks and your 1DX is wothless.

If Canon knew this and still sold the cameras to people it's just like stealing in my book.

Any manufactured item can have problems.  Assuming you drive a car, run a Google search for the make/model of your car and the word 'problems' - even if you've never had an issue, do you find the millions of hits that likely result alarming, or indicative of malfeasance on the part of the manufacturer?

Of course Canon knows the shutter mechanism will break.  At some point, everything breaks.  Canon knows how they designed the shutter mechanism, they've tested it, and they rated it for 400,000 actuations. 

It sucks that you're having issues with your 1D X, and I'm sorry to hear that.  But, it does seem that Canon acknowledged an issue and has a fix in place.  Personally, I had no issues with my 1D X, but I dropped into the Jamesburg service center on a business trip to New Jersey, they performed the repair and a sensor cleaning in less than an hour, no charge. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Anyone know ca how many actuations before this happens?

My issues started imediately, got the camera brand new, took a few test shotsi n the house, hten went out that day, took shots of landscapes with skies in them, then later when I put photos on computer noticed the crud in the corners-

I had contacted a professional camera/lens reviewer at digitalpictures.com (or soemthign liek that- one of hte major digi review sites) because they had a review of trhe 1DX and I aksed if his sensor was dirty and he replied it was the dirtiest sensor he'd ever seen on a brand new camera-  He said back then he was just goign to keep cleanign the sensor himself, but I haven't recontacted him to ask if he has sent his in for the recall yet- but his sensor was affected almost immediately too-

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Very interesting. I wonder if this is the case with the 5d3 too?

No- I haven't heard of htis issue with hte 5D3- although I have heard of light leak issues with the 5D3

Nazareth

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
[[It sucks that you're having issues with your 1D X, and I'm sorry to hear that.  But, it does seem that Canon acknowledged an issue and has a fix in place.]]

Well that's the issue- it's not really a fix- peopel all over are reporting havign to send hteir cameras back time and again after the 'fix' has been applied ie: lubrication- they are reporting the plastic bits start up again a few weeks after beign sent in- soem have even had their whole mirror box assembly replaced with hte 'new updated version' yet report that these so called new improved assemblies are still doign hte same thing-

As to the car thing, sure, there are lots of complaints abotu anythign from heater not blowing enough hot air, to brakes failing, however, when enough peopel experience failign brake systems, the companies are forced to do more than apply a temporary fix- the parts are redisigned, and a recall is issued, and the parts are exchanged for the new ones that work properly

It seems that with hte 1DX enough peopel are beginnign to expeirence the issue that it's becoming more than anectdotal accounts- peopel complaining about cars on the net, a lot of the complaints are anectdotal ie: 'My heater doesn't work right, therefore the engine must be cracked' type claims or "I put cooking oil in the radiator, and now my wipers work better' type claims (when the reality is that they may have jarred the wiper mechanism when openign hte hood without knowing it, which wiggled a wire enough that it now is fully connected and so the wiper motor now doesn't keep stuttering)- But, when enough ligit complaints start coming in like "I got out of car today, looked down, and noticed a lot of black dust in the wheelwell" then you begin to see a pattern which indicates there might be a mechanical defect in the brakign system-

That's all we're sayign here really- there seems to be enough evidence mountign that the 1DX may have a defective part in it which affects many, but not all, models for whatever reason

chilledXpress

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
After about 20,000 actuations and a CPS service due to "specks"... I am starting to see this reoccur in mine >:(

I've been a loyal Canon customer for longer than I care to admit. This is the first body I have been less than enthused about after using. I shoot weddings, sporting events and portraits, absolutely love superbike races!!! I don't travel to the arctic or war zones. In real world conditions that I am encountering, aside from the frame rate, I see little difference from the 5D3(which I own multiple copies of). I used my 1DX for a few months and then began to instinctively grab a 5D3 when given a choice. I'm not sure that was the best in the long run though as now I am starting to see these same issues. Had this occurred earlier I might have had a better chance of a full refund. Now I "own" it and Canon refuses to replace it. So after a CPS service, and another 1000 shots, it's rearing it's ugly head again. It's pretty disappointing for their so called flagship model and Canon's responses to this issue. After owning one since Nov 2012 and seeing the same issues reported again and again, even after service repair... I'm afraid I own a lemon and not sure how to make lemonade out of it. Maybe I could sell it to some unsuspecting person but I'd rather not pass along the pain to someone else. At some point Canon should make a full replacement available but doubt they will ever go that far without a serious fight.

I'll take the "light leak" issues of the 5D3 any day over a persistent dirty sensor.

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »

My camera is out of warrenty next month- so not sure how they are goign to keep fixing it- I had just sent in the camera two weeks ago, and they tried to make me pay for soem other repairs that were needed claimign it was 'out of warrenty' (I hadnb't sent in my warrenty card unfortunately-) but I was able to show that it was still under a year old, and the other issues were fixed (My portrait mode scroll wheel never woerkd right, and was gettign other issues liek 'caution 02' which was fixed by firmware update etc-)

If a piece of equipment is sent for repair, the repair itself should be under warranty (maybe 3 -6 months, check in your country), so if they didn't fix it properly, or if they broke something else during repair, they need to fix it for free, even if the initial warranty has expired.

duydaniel

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
I had a paid repair for my Nikon D7000 once (back focusing issue). Nikon rep told me every repair came with a 6 months warranty on that repair. But it was a paid one, not sure about Canon's
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:36:25 PM by duydaniel »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »

ajy

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
I have been following the issue for some time.  My 1DX is only 1 month old and has a number 8 in the serial number's 6th position so this supposedly means that it is manufactured with the "fix" already in place.  My understanding of the "fix" for cameras that aren't showing any AF problems is just extra lubrication to prevent the black plastic particles from wearing off and spreading themselves throughout the camera internals.  Cameras with actual AF problems are getting the whole mirror box replaced I think.

Now, I personally have not had any AF problems.  However, within a few hundred shots I started seeing the small black spots in the viewfinder.  They first appeared in the upper right and now I have them in all 4 corners but not many or any in the centre of the frame.  I also was getting a lot of oil on the sensor that required a wet swab cleaning as my first attempt with a dry brush just smeared the oil across the sensor.  The wet clean worked well.

I am worried.  The most detailed information about this problems is in these two DPreview threads.  The one poster "tvstaff" is very adamant that there is still a big problem even with serial numbers past the recall (i.e. #8s as no #9s have been reported in the wild yet).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3553325
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3514406

Canon Canada has told the one poster on DPReview that the specs in the prism area (these are the black dots seen through the VF) are not part of the recall problem and don't affect the actual picture (which is true, they are just ugly to look at and disappointing on a $7000 camera).  They said they could replace the prism but that would be not covered under warranty or under the recall.

I haven't contacted Canon yet but I'm keeping a close eye on the problem.  What we don't know if is the oil just from the excess lubricant to fix the original problem or are these black spots actual physical particles that is wearing off and eventually will affect the AF sensor from working as some have experienced.

Hi, I've also posted about this issue in the above DPReview threads.

I also just bought a 1DX with the "8" in the sixth position (from B&H in September).  Within the first 50 shots, I noticed a couple dark black spots in the upper right corner of the viewfinder.  Autofocus worked fine.  I sent it in for service to Virginia, spots were removed, and I also now have the black mark in the battery compartment.  I've been using it now since then, it seems to be working fine.  I have noticed a couple spots, which are much smaller than before in the middle top border of the viewfinder, but these are not as obvious as the previous spots.

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
An update:  I took my 1DX body to Canon, Irvine. They did the "AF Advisory Modification" in less than four-hours.  That's the good news, after taking a few shots, I went to change lenses and noticed a hair like substance sticking straight up from the bottom of the mirror box!  I pinched it between my thumb and forefinger and pulled it out.  It didn't come out easily, leading me to believe it had been caught between the mirror box and its attachment point.  I guess it got there during the modification?  It looked kind of like a brush bristle.  However, it was as thick as thread, dark colored, and perfectly straight.  I also noticed several specs visable in the viewfinder.  Fortunately, a blower brush removed all but one of them.  After taking a few more shots, I noticed someting on my images.  They could have gotten there during the lens change, however they didn't show-up for several frames after the change?  Again, I used the blower brush to remove them.  I've shot around 300-frames since then and haven't noticed any other issues.  I was a little surprised that they wouldn't tell me exactly what they did to my camera.  They simply said that the technician had performed the AF advisory modification.  I guess they don't want the details of the modification released.  When I asked if this would be a recurring issue with the 1DX, they said they didn't know.  I'm just happy to have the mod. done, so I can get back to concentrating on making images.

EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

Lloyd50

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:54 AM »
After sending my 1dx in for recall service, im still experiencing the "dust/splash in the corners" issue. I plan to contact Canon next week to see what can be done. This is getting a bit annoying.
1DX- 16-35L f2.8 II - 24-70L F2.8  - 70-200L F2.8 II - 50 1.4

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
Hi Martin,

Did you see anything like that black particle in your viewfinder?

The reason I'm asking is that I got the speck in my camera, but it doesn't look like anything else I've seen before in my experience of careful treating.

Best regards,
Alex.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
My AF/lube service was done almost two months ago.  My viewfinder is clean (although there were a couple of noticeable VF specks when I dropped it off, Canon cleaned them out, along with the sensor clean). 

I did discover a piece of debris on my sensor a couple of days ago (I can't really use the term 'dust' for something close to 1 mm long). I do a quick sensor dust check at least weekly, so this was new.  Could it have been left over from the service?  Maybe, but probably not. I change lenses pretty frequently, both indoors (where I have two young kids running around, and a third who's not running yet, or sitting up for that matter) and outdoors (for example, standing outside a barn full of chickens a week ago, swapping in a 2xIII behind the 70-200/2.8L IS II to shoot the chicken 'etched' in this creative composite).  A quick shot of air from a rocket blower took care of it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
Every system will have its problems - both my 1DX's had dust inside the VF within 20K shots, they both arrived new with dirty sensors (im talking ridiculously dirty https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33440790/dx/dustspots.PNG and the second 1DX https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33440790/dx/dirtysensor1dxV2-%20f32.jpg) af locks up and or refuses to focus and in low light in servo its hopeless.

Glad they fixed the af assist bug and apparently after the 1DX recall they fixed the af focusing issue - thankfully i didn't wait a year for canon to attempt to fix the issues with this unit, it would have cost me even more moments lost, time wasted with cps and canon in general not fessing up to the problems with this unit despite full step by step instruction on how to make it fail.

Every system has its problems just depends if its costing you money.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:56:32 PM by Sycotek »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »

GoldWing

• SX60 HS
  • Canon EOS 1DX
    • View Profile
    • Nihonshoki tanaka
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »
I would also like to know the shutter counts from folks experiencing this problem.
I've had my 1DX for almost a year now and have been problem free.  However, I will be out in So Cal next month and plan on having my camera checked, per the Service Bulliten, at the Canon Service Ctr in Irvine.

FWIW mine is at 58.000 and no problems so far, it has been in for re-lubrication.

My new 1DX failed today at 180 some odd frames.  Same defetive Mirror Box issue with oil and debris that stops the camera from focusing.  Glad you made it to 58,000. Hope you make it to 400,000
What happened to the honor of Japan

GoldWing

• SX60 HS
  • Canon EOS 1DX
    • View Profile
    • Nihonshoki tanaka
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
Hi Martin,

Did you see anything like that black particle in your viewfinder?

The reason I'm asking is that I got the speck in my camera, but it doesn't look like anything else I've seen before in my experience of careful treating.

Best regards,
Alex.

Yes I have those long lines and black specs and oil splashes.  I can see them in my viewfinder and they are in all my pictures too.

TRY THIS:
1 .  Take your 1DX put it in AV on F/22 or better F/32 if you can
2.   Take a picture of clear blue sky
3.   Open the file and view it at 100%

Scroll from edge to edge and you'll see if your 1DX sensor is dirty. 
What happened to the honor of Japan

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »