Gear Talk > Canon General

The age old lens question...50mm vs 85mm

(1/3) > >>

Leopard Lupus:
Canon 50mm F/1.2 L VS  Canon 85mm F/1.2 L

I hate to be "that guy" to bring this question to the table, but I feel as if I need to hear experiences along with the countless reviews I have read.

I am currently working with a Canon 60D/7D (I invest more money in lenses) but am looking to go FF in 2012.

I shoot mainly low light, indoor concerts. I own both the Canon 50mm F/1.4 and the Canon 85mm F/1.8 but I tend to favor the 50mm because I am able to use the flash less with it mounted vs the 85mm. The focal length does not matter for me, as my ability to get closer to the subject is adjustable. I only shoot with primes.

The 50mm F/1.2 L is weather sealed, which is tempting (preventing dust). Yet, 85mm F/1.2 L seems to give a more appealing IQ vs the 50mm. I have tried both in the store, but not on an assignment.

Has anyone owned both, or had experience with both of these fantastic lenses?

Canon Rumors:
I own and use both a lot.

Is AI Servo AF speed important to you? If so, the 50 is the obvious way to go. If it's not as important, and you're ok not getting critical focus every single time you press the shutter, the 85 f/1.2 gives images that are unmatched in look and feel.

CR

UncleFester:
I can highly recommend the 50 1.2 on the 7D (it will lock on an eyeball no problem)  but not for the 5DII. For whatever reason the FF will not micro adjust to this lens.

Zuuyi:
50 on 7D/60D

85 on 5DII.

Crop Camera (1.6 x Factor)
50mm = 80mm
85mm = 136mm

And if you like the 85mm on the 7D you might need to look at the 135/2 for you FF switch.

elflord:

--- Quote from: Leopard Lupus on October 02, 2011, 12:03:10 AM ---
I shoot mainly low light, indoor concerts. I own both the Canon 50mm F/1.4 and the Canon 85mm F/1.8 but I tend to favor the 50mm because I am able to use the flash less with it mounted vs the 85mm. The focal length does not matter for me, as my ability to get closer to the subject is adjustable. I only shoot with primes.

--- End quote ---

Moving closer to the subject with a normal lens won't give you the same picture as a short tele further from the subject. The wider fov will force you to be more careful about the composition of the background. On a crop, both of these lenses are short to medium telephotos -- ideal portrait focal lengths. On full frame, 50mm isn't really a portrait focal length any more.

Do you use a 35 or 28 on your crop at all ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version