October 24, 2014, 07:42:09 PM

Author Topic: Is there a market for an 8mp crop body with excellent iso performance?  (Read 5050 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a market for an 8mp crop body with excellent iso performance?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »
I saw the pictures that a photographer did with 5D classic, processed with Lightroom, and I was happy with my humble APS-C 18 megapixel. ::) The noise in the shadows of the 5D classic is horrible and looked worse than any Canon Rebel that I have ever used. :( Yes, technology has evolved in the last decade, and with current technology, I believe it is possible to make an 8 megapixel APS-C with ISO 6400 that has performance as good as 5D mark ii. If this hypothetical camera was being sold now I would buy three or four of them. ;) However, I understand that I am a minority, and that this is not a strategy of profitable market for Canon. :-\

You are mixing several thing here. Shadow noise is mainly read noise. With older cameras, at very high ISO, read noise is worse than say, ISO 1600, which increases the lead of 5D3 vs. 5D2 there, for example. If that is what is important to you, buy three of the D7100. It has slightly better DR at ISO 6400 than the 5D2 (and much better at base ISO). The shot noise however depends on the QE, and there is no crop camera yet that can beat the 5D2, for example.

Comparing formats is a bit tricky because same ISO with different formats does not mean much. For the same DOF, larger sensors do not have better noise performance but have more resolution which helps offset the noise. On the other, if you are shooting wide open on FF, say at 50/1.4, you cannot shoot with the same DOF on crop because there is not such lens. But if you need the DOF, is different, etc.
If I needed a camera for shooting primarily at ISO100, I'm sure I would meet D7100 very well, but at ISO 6400 and higher, do not see the superiority of D7100 compared to 70D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 07:01:44 PM »
Speaking of cameras unusual use a monochrome version of the 70D would be great. ::) Something not really unprecedented, because Leica already has a camera as well, and Canon has the exclusive 60DA.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
If I needed a camera for shooting primarily at ISO100, I'm sure I would meet D7100 very well, but at ISO 6400 and higher, do not see the superiority of D7100 compared to 70D.

Of course, not. At high ISO Canon is comparable to Nikon, even in the shadows (DR).

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »

Of course, not. At high ISO Canon is comparable to Nikon, even in the shadows (DR).
Yes, so no manufacturer wants to make a APS-C camera noticeably superior to current models at ISO 6400. This would bring down the sales of full frame, and Canon wants exactly the opposite, forcing demanding amateurs to migrate to 6D (or more expensive) and L lenses.

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
Yes, so no manufacturer wants to make a APS-C camera noticeably superior to current models at ISO 6400. This would bring down the sales of full frame, and Canon wants exactly the opposite, forcing demanding amateurs to migrate to 6D (or more expensive) and L lenses.

I guess Pentax wants the same? Or Oly?

No manufacturer can make such a camera. If they could, they would, and then they will make better FF cameras as well.

This was said many times. The hard limit at a given ISO (more precisely, at a given exposure) is the area. Same exposure (a.k.a. "same ISO ", which is not quite correct) over a larger area means less noise per unit area. As simple as that. Sensors of the same generation have some differences in how they record that noisy image but the the differences are too small to beat the sensor size factor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »