December 19, 2014, 10:09:29 PM

Author Topic: Brick Wall.  (Read 6174 times)

paul13walnut5

Brick Wall.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
I've been pretty low recently.  Not been able to get inspired about my photography at all.

My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

Tried the usual tricks. Bring your kindle, put game of thrones on your ipad etc.  Yet to no avail.

I'm just not getting peace to do my photography, and I don;t look forward to it any more and don't come up with any intersting or challenging briefs.

I don't know what to do.  Take a break.  Give up.  Put the gear away for a while.

I've stopped reading photo magazines as they are so repetitive.

Inspire me.  Something new.

canon rumors FORUM

Brick Wall.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Re: Brick Wall.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
Sounds like the answer is hidden in your post...
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
Not sure if this will help you, but have you tried meditation?

When I need to connect with what little remains of my sanity, I take off in my canoe, find a nice peaceful spot, and either sit and float or find a nice spot on shore to sit... It helps me to reconnect with myself, to clear all the chaff out of my mind.

The best camera is the one in your hands

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

If your partner doesn't share your passion, then you need room in the relationship to pursue it.  If you can't get that then there are another three billion people to choose from and you need to ask yourself if it is worth being unhappy like this.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

Niterider

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
I would recommend just putting down the camera equipment until you feel like picking it up again. I have gone weeks without touching my camera once just because I didn't feel like shooting. I have rarely taken a astounding photo when I was shooting and did not feel like it. Don't by any new equipment though. It is only a temporary fix.

Ohh and the ultimate fix: Capture that photo that is nothing short of amazing. I promise that will get you motivated again.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Sounds like the answer is hidden in your post...

I don't think it's hidden - it's right there in the title.  Brick wall.  Not as in hitting one...as in shooting one.  Then ISO 12233 charts.  Instead of Creative Cloud, buy Imatest. Become a measurebator. You can even do it right at home.

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »
Photography has endless possibilities. The human being is limited, however. That said, if you hear the dreaded question: You choose me or she (picture)?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:09:56 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »
I wanted to take off today in the car, there were two things on that would appeal to my photography..

Bo'ness had a steam day, and I had worked out a few locations to get some nice backlit shots over viaducts etc, and it was the Waverley's last sailing day of the season, so I had thought about driving up to Colintraive or therabouts and getting shots of her navigating the Kyles.

I think I need to buy a second car, or get a new bird.  My work can be very very stressful and talking about weddings and looking at engagement rings isn't my idea of a weekend.

Somebody hit the nail on the head earlier, its about space to pursue what chills you out.

In the end up we went to Largs and I got a couple of vanilla shots of the Waverley passing.

it's not enough.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »
There it is.

I know I need to be thoughtful of how much I shoot on vacations. There's a balance required when you're with your partner or family. But a strong relationship should include the space for your significant-other to pursue their passion. There's an old saying, "No passion, no joy..."

If your partner has a deep passion for painting, gardening, horse-riding, dog breeding, surfing, spiritual evolvement, triathlons, abseiling, yoga, crosswords or whatever, and you don't...well that's fine. I prefer a buddy who is passionate about something and yours probably values that quality in you.

If she wants to live with a happy fulfilled Paul13Walnut5 then space needs to be made for your preferred activities just as I'm SURE you make room for hers.

Get out there and shoot. You clearly love it.

-pw

syder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
When I've had similar issues involving complaining partners frequently being unhappy that days out would involve staying very still and apparently not doing anything, I found that giving them a second body and letting them wander off to go play made my life a lot easier and her days a lot more fun.

But also taking breaks (especially when video is work and photography can feel a lot like an extension of work) is important and useful. For me being always on means burning out. In a way, now that video isn't work (or at least making videos for clients isn't a way of paying bills) I'm feeling far more motivated to go and take pictures or work on my own projects.

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 07:24:49 PM »
go on a vacation and don't bring a camera but do bring your partner.
go somewere nice and enjoy life.
eat drink and be mary. inspiration will come again.

And when you come home buy a C100  ;D
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 70-300L ,24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
[...]Take a break.[...]
That one.
It won't be fun if you force it. Do something else instead, there is so much life out there.
It will come back naturally, n a few weeks months or years, and if it doesn't, that will be ok as well.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Cheers folks.

Just back a holiday (only took powershot and used it about 4 times for trip advisor pics)

Very busy with video work just now, using the ENG kit, which I'm beginning to hate for it's sheer bulk, one pag battery is about the weight of my DSLR kit bag.  That and I'm working with a lazy, unprepared producer and so not doing my best work.

There is a big switch in my head between stills and video, even when I'm using identical gear for both.

Heres todays 'best', not angling for praise.  Just I can do  and have done a lot lot better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
On form, I'm more like this, locations planned out, route & times cross references, thought given to background and direction of light etc.  Just more satisfying for me.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »
You've come to the end of this road at a fortuitous time.

Photography is over. All the good pictures have already been taken. There's really nothing left to do.

Seriously, get yourself a part-time job teaching photography and/or videography. Do it in a night school or adult school or something. You won't have to take any pictures -- supervise, critique, teach. You do all that very well as we've seen here so often. You will inspire others, and in doing that, you will eventually be inspired.

You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »