April 20, 2014, 05:29:07 PM

Author Topic: Brick Wall.  (Read 4392 times)

Nitroman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 04:42:11 AM »
Get an old film camera, buy a roll of b&w film and develop and print in a wet darkroom.

Digital can be repetitive ... so go back to basics !

All the traditional film stuff is so cheap on ebay these days.

Or try a new type of photography such as 360 panoramas or video.

And get the wife to give you some space to do what you want instead of having to constantly keep her entertained. She's the one being selfish - not you. "I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die ... so let me live my life the way i want to" - Jimi Hendrix :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 04:42:11 AM »

bainsybike

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
Yeah, thinking that maybe getting back out on the push-bike might have some physical and mental benefits.  Just as the Scottish Winter looms!

Yes!!! Try that!!!  Take the M with you.  Good luck!  :)

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:20 AM »
I've been pretty low recently.  Not been able to get inspired about my photography at all.

My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

Tried the usual tricks. Bring your kindle, put game of thrones on your ipad etc.  Yet to no avail.

I'm just not getting peace to do my photography, and I don;t look forward to it any more and don't come up with any intersting or challenging briefs.

I don't know what to do.  Take a break.  Give up.  Put the gear away for a while.

I've stopped reading photo magazines as they are so repetitive.

Inspire me.  Something new.

Read art books instead. Read Homer's Odyssey; it is full of images. Aeschylos' Oresteia too is stunning. Feed the mind. Go to London and photograph the city at dawn. Indeed, shoot sun rises. Study the Russian art photographers.  Your problem is the intellectual company you keep. Photography magazines are about the technical not about ideas. Listen to Pink Floyd's concert at Pompey, study Nietzche's Birth of Tragedy, read Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Intellectualize your world. Learn Latin in order to read Lucretius and Sallust. Find the poets, they live outside. Art galleries too are a must.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Inspiring post.

I already shoot at dawn and dusk.  Thanks for the 360 suggestion earlier too (whoever that was) do them occassionally, I want to try a veritcal 360, and am working on the mechanics of not getting the tripod in (I have a motor controlled telescope head which I'll mount veritcally on a superclamp...  thinking street furnature etc

I think I'll peruse the magnum site some. Prefer 'Dubliners'.

As for Pink Floyd.  It's PATGOD or nothing for me I'm afraid.

I don't go in much for Philosophy after Eco, Foucault and Baudrillard made it all very terminally depressing for me.

That said, I always find the polemicist Jonathan Meades very enlightening and frequently entertaining.  Yep, I think a review of 'Off Kilter' will cheer me up a bit (and it's a great piece of film-making too)

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Build a brick wall, that's what Churchill did. Then you can photograph it.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

alexturton

• Rebel T5i
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »
I've been pretty low recently.  Not been able to get inspired about my photography at all.

My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

Tried the usual tricks. Bring your kindle, put game of thrones on your ipad etc.  Yet to no avail.

I'm just not getting peace to do my photography, and I don;t look forward to it any more and don't come up with any intersting or challenging briefs.

I don't know what to do.  Take a break.  Give up.  Put the gear away for a while.

I've stopped reading photo magazines as they are so repetitive.

Inspire me.  Something new.

I feel the same way. I feel like my work has become repetitive and hopelessly derivative.

I too need a kick up the butt but I'm unsure what that is.

I recently read Steve Jobs' biography which has left me feeling like I need to do something drastic to change the world but I'm unsure what that might be....

I too need help
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

vargyropoulos

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
I went through a very similar phase in the middle of the summer. I did take a small break from photography during my vacation back to my home country where I took very few pictures and this did help clear my mind.

One aspect of this hobby that keeps me interested is that there are so many different styles to shoot where you feel that you have several hobbies not just one. I primarily shoot wildlife so the past couple of months I did some street photography, now I am almost ready to go back at dawn and wait for that bird/critter to show up.

Try a field of photography that takes you completely out of your comfort zone.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

Darkn3ss

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »
I came up with my most inspired photos when on a polyphasic sleeping schedule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

I was basically free for all weekends from 7pm Friday night to 6am Monday morning.  I would sleep on site and do time lapse of the moon, walking the streets of Milwaukee and other suburbs in the middle of the night shooting with a wide aperture.

Your partner sounds like s/he would be fun to do a series of.  Call it unwillingness or synonym close to your heart and print it.  S/he will see it and perhaps realize that you need your space.  The joy in anything can be taken away by someone without the same passion in their heart.

Best of luck to you.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
I need a big project.

A few things have happened recently.

After a few years on the market my parents finally sold my childhood home.  A link with the past gone.  Maybe I'm questioning myself more than usual.  False nostalga.  Things were better before (they weren't)

I worked on a very emotional video job as a favour to a friends charity.  It was hard work to shoot and hard work to edit.  Arrangements were cancelled at the last minute meaning my set was a compromise.  Despite that the video looked good.  Effective.  Even on third forth playback I was welling up.  I had checked I was the solo video guy and had been told yes (I generally don't work with other crews unless I'm lead, sounds arrogant, isn't, just experience makes it this way) but my video was given to somebody else who cut it up with their own graphics and lost the impact.  Neutered it.  I was very angry about this at the time.

Just back from holiday. Post holiday blues.

Working on uninspiring work project.

Then at the weekend.

I'll shake out of it and I welcome your suggestions and am grateful for those so far.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Hey Paul, sorry to hear you're so down. I hate to see truly talented and creative people give up on something they love. I had a mate who almost packed it in and he was the one who got me started!

I think most of us have been in a similar position at some stage or another. As photogos we constantly crave inspiration and new ideas for projects. Given the time there are things I would like to do but I have to keep the girlfriend entertained, as I call it. They need attention and it's always a compromise unless they love what you love.

You should set aside time for you only. Say, right Friday is my day and I just want to do my thing, alone. I mean if you were a writer would she stand over your shoulder and watch? No. Hobbies are personal. We do them to make ourselves happy and when we try and compromise our hobby time we get annoyed. Nothing good comes from being annoyed.

My GF complains about me taking ages, getting "the shot" but she understands what it means to me. I'm a perfectionist. She's calmed down an lot and I even gave her my 550D so she has something to do on holidays etc.

I used to take a lot of pictures but now when I go out I just try and relax, enjoy life but I'm still observing and studying light and constantly thinking of "shots". Then when I get that feeling (you know the one) when you get that idea and you just have to experinent and see; thats when the camera comes out.

Also I have a co-worker who is getting into photography right now and I guess am kinda his sempai. It helps to have someone you can teach and learn from. I like his enthusiasm - he just bought his first flash and he's constantly trying to bounce it off various surfaces. I smile and give pointers like "needs a 1/2 CTO" when it doesn't work! I remember when it was all new and I was discovering light.

So, I guess my idea is to redeiscover what you loved about it and do it. And see things from someone elses view. Have them take pictures of you. See how it feels. Guide them and create something together.

Whatever you do am sure you'll bounce back!

(Or come to Japan for a visit, loads of amazing stuff to shoot here!)
5D II | 7D | EOS M + 22 f2 | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »
I think the solution is for you to shoot your partner.  I mean a good head shot.  Aim for the eyes. You can do it when they are not aware but it's a lot better when they can see it coming.  And not just one clean shot.  I mean several shots to make sure you do the job right.

You can even use a camera if you like.   ;D

There was some really good advise in this thread.  The way I see it, you have three options.

1. Get your partner more involved in photography
2. Split your time between your photography and interacting with your partner when you are out
3. Arrange your relationship so you have time alone to do your photography.

Which will work for you?  No one but you can answer that.  Is there only one solution?  Probably not. However, my free advice (and worth every penny) is that you MUST talk to your partner about this.  Don't try to guess how your partner feels about this. 

This is not a problem with your partner.  It is a problem that involves your partner.  Huge difference.

Good luck with it.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

emag

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
Any chance some of this is due to Seasonal Affective Disorder?  Always hits me hard in October.  Fortunately our weather usually becomes conducive to astrophotography in October also, so I find I can shake off the funk with some imaging.  When the weather fails I sit in the garage with two 500W lights and tinker on something. 

My work schedule and that of my wife don't often mesh, so we don't get much off time together.  She often comes with me for all-night astrophoto sessions just so we can be together.  Sometimes I'll spend a Saturday with her doing something I'm not very interested in for the same reason.  We both also need our alone time but with our work schedules that hasn't been a problem.  We joke that we'd probably choke each other if we were on the same schedule.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
I've been going through some similar creative blocks. This year, I've taken less than a quarter of the shots of previous years. Part of this was due to stresses and pressures at work, but with my wildlife photography especially, I felt like I was taking the same shots from the same locations and I wanted something different. I just wasn't quite sure what I wanted or how to get that something different. Normally, I take almost exclusively wildlife and landscapes, yet despite getting some of my favourite landscape images last October, I've done virtually no wildlife and little landscape work. Then I did some portrait shoots with the local camera club, something I do very rarely and one of which was in a pretty special location and was an ambitious shoot. That got the creative juices flowing again, especially the second shoot at Hestercombe Gardens. The last week I finally got to visit Scotland again and I did get something a bit different, with some story telling and behavioural shots of wildlife.
In some ways I'm lucky (others not of course), in that I don't have a partner to share my time with, but aside from that and sorting out your "space", maybe trying something different could help, so film may be a good idea, which reminds me, I also have an EOS 3 gathering dust, as well as some Velvia which needs using up. I might even dig out my old Zenith...
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »

Grumbaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »
Substance abuse. Just don't forget the camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »