April 23, 2014, 07:17:47 AM

Author Topic: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look  (Read 15250 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
From Nikonrumors:

Some additional specifications of the upcoming full frame retro styled Nikon digital camera:

Standard F-mount
    Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)

The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
    The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
    The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
    Expeed 3 processor
    Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
    Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
    The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

When are we going to see something similar from Canon?  I'm hoping for a digital AE-1.  It'll be truly amazing.  I'd gladly trade my new 6D for something like this even if it only has an AF similar to 60D and a 1DX sensor for a price between 6D and 5D3.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:23:12 PM by verysimplejason »

canon rumors FORUM

Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:28:13 PM »
I'm not sure where it fits in the lineup.  Another D610 or a D800 with retro design and fewer pixels??   I guess we'll find out how it fits in before long.  It could just be a Japan only big dollar limited edition model.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
I'm not sure where it fits in the lineup.  Another D610 or a D800 with retro design and fewer pixels??   I guess we'll find out how it fits in before long.  It could just be a Japan only big dollar limited edition model.

It could be... but with Nikon, I can see that they're becoming more and more aggressive in trying to obtain a large chunk of the market.  They might have a lot of shortcomings but still they try to cover and expand their market more and more.  Fitting 1D4 sensor in a lower priced model and the retro look?  Now that's truly nice of them.

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
This is a very interesting/nice development ... I really wanted Canon/Nikon to come up with a full frame DSLR mirror less coz I'd feel a lot more comfortable in investing in Nikon gear than Sony ... if Canon does not announce something similar I'll happily buy the Nikon FF mirror less ... but if Canon announces one before the Nikon is available for purchase I'll wait for Canon ... and I don't really care if its a retro design or not as long as it is relatively small size with small prime lenses ... putting zoom lenses or bigger lenses on mirror less cameras defeats the purpose of "small form factor".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:01:01 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:09 AM »
Fitting 1D4 sensor in a lower priced model and the retro look?  Now that's truly nice of them.

One more camera with a better sensor than any Canon. This is becoming depressing.  ;)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:42:13 AM »
This is a very interesting/nice development ... I really wanted Canon/Nikon to come up with a full frame DSLR coz I'd feel a lot more comfortable in investing in Nikon gear than Sony ... if Canon does not announce something similar I'll happily buy the Nikon FF mirrorless ... but if Canon announces one before the Nikon is available for purchase I'll wait for Canon ... and I don't really care if its a retro design or not as long as it is relatively small size with small prime lenses ... putting zoom lenses or bigger lenses on mirror less cameras defeats the purpose of "small form factor".

I'd really love a digital AE-1.  I don't really care much if it's mirrorless or dslr.  As long as it has the look, IQ and competitive price, it'll be one thing to consider.  :)  It's like somebody revived Elvis.   ;D

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
From Nikonrumors:

Some additional specifications of the upcoming full frame retro styled Nikon digital camera:

Standard F-mount
    Pentaprism viewfinder (meaning the camera will not be mirrorless)

The camera will meter even with non-AI lenses down to full aperture
    The camera will ship with a new special edition Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens to match the look/design of the body
    The camera will have physical controls and excellent build quality (which explains the 765g weight)
    Expeed 3 processor
    Same sensor as in the Nikon D4
    Nikon calls it a "hybrid" camera - not sure what exactly they mean with that
    The announcement most likely will take place in the next 1-3 weeks

When are we going to see something similar from Canon?  I'm hoping for a digital AE-1.  It'll be truly amazing.  I'd gladly trade my new 6D for something like this even if it only has an AF similar to 60D and a 1DX sensor for a price between 6D and 5D3.

I hear ya

perfect recipe for canon
- take an AE1 body
- call it the AE-1D
- put all the 1Dx bits inside dont leave all the goodies out
- price in between the 5Dmk3 and 1Dx
- maybe have to drop the shutter speed down a bit but who cares
- watch the preorder list grow massively

I dont really care about a new sensor
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:35 AM »
Fitting 1D4 sensor in a lower priced model and the retro look?  Now that's truly nice of them.

One more camera with a better sensor than any Canon. This is becoming depressing.  ;)

What sounds interesting about this camera is the design, not the sensor (which will no doubt be excellent).

Canon sensors are the current whipping boy of online photo gear forums — repeatedly whipped in thread after thread.  However, at a recent assignment, there were 2 photographers and 2 videographers all using Canon DSLRs — I'm guessing we had about a dozen Canon DSLRs in total (+ lots of Canon lenses and a Sigma or two).  The sensors performed and no one was depressed about them.  As Ming Thein wrote in his recent post on the Fuji X-E2, "Enough of specs: we’re all aware that cameras passed the point of sufficiency some time ago. Haptics and handling are far more important criteria determining whether a camera stays with you and becomes a partner or a hinderance."
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/10/18/review-the-2013-fujifilm-x-e2/

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
this camera sounds truly amazing. i'm very excited about this. i'm a little worried that it weighs 750g!!! I really hope that the price is reasonable(below 3k, hopefully around 2k.)
This is an extremely exciting camera and i'm definitely going to consider canceling my Sony preorder for the a7 and lens. in fact, i'm almost definitely going to cancel my Sony if this thing is close to what is described and under 3000 bucks.
Since i've been looking at the Sony i've been a little worried about the lack of native lenses, lack of AF with adaptors, the large and expensive LE A4 adaptor for A mount lenses, and now the reviews saying RF lenses perform poorly on the a7.
I love the 16mp sensor idea!!!! I really hope it has something special to make MF easier(split prism,etc), and I really hope the price is not like 4k!!!
If Nikon can deliver this camera for a great price it is going to be huge!
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

zlatko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »
I hear ya

perfect recipe for canon
- take an AE1 body
- call it the AE-1D

I dont really care about a new sensor

The AE-1 was a relatively inexpensive camera, popular for its price, size and automation.  It demonstrated a cost-cutting philosophy (plastic top & bottom with a chrome look).  If updated to digital, it would not be priced between the 5D3 and the 1DX.  What would it give us over, say, a 6D?  A smaller, lighter body ... about the same weight as a T5i / 700D but with a full-frame sensor. 

This new Nikon is rumored to be 765g, or about the same weight as a 6D.  It will be interesting to see if Nikon has been able to shrink the body size to something like the original FM/FE.  That would be a nice size. 

The rumored "hybrid" part of the design is very interesting and mysterious at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:36:08 AM by zlatko »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 02:34:15 AM »
Certainly does sound like a fun product that could possibly kick serious butt!
However, for those looking away from Sony's recent A7/r ...
What's the register distance for the A7?...  is it short enough to handle adapters and a variety of other makers lenses?  If so, makes a very versatile imaging back end compared to an F-mount.

GMCPhotographics

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 04:07:28 AM »
This is a very interesting/nice development ... I really wanted Canon/Nikon to come up with a full frame DSLR coz I'd feel a lot more comfortable in investing in Nikon gear than Sony ... if Canon does not announce something similar I'll happily buy the Nikon FF mirrorless ... but if Canon announces one before the Nikon is available for purchase I'll wait for Canon ... and I don't really care if its a retro design or not as long as it is relatively small size with small prime lenses ... putting zoom lenses or bigger lenses on mirror less cameras defeats the purpose of "small form factor".

I'd really love a digital AE-1.  I don't really care much if it's mirrorless or dslr.  As long as it has the look, IQ and competitive price, it'll be one thing to consider.  :)  It's like somebody revived Elvis.   ;D
I still have an AE-1 and an A1...both great slrs for their time. But the current entry level xxxD camera is better specced and better featured than even the A1, let alone AE-1. The closest thing we've seen to an AE-1 was the original 300D. The modern comparison would be a 6D...and that's a far superior camera than anything from the 70's and 80's (even superior to the mighty T-90). Such is progress.

I'm not that fussed with hybrids / ragefinder / mirrorless cameras. They have their place in the market, but I like a true optical viewfinder which looks though the lens. It's the joy of DSLR's and a key feature. Yes it makes the camerea heavier, yes it adds bulk and yes it causes an enlarged distance from the rear of the lens to the ensor to accomodate the mirror mechanism...but it's just SO much nicer to use.

Rienzphotoz

• 1D X
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »
I like a true optical viewfinder which looks though the lens. It's the joy of DSLR's and a key feature. Yes it makes the camerea heavier, yes it adds bulk and yes it causes an enlarged distance from the rear of the lens to the ensor to accomodate the mirror mechanism...but it's just SO much nicer to use.
+1 ... but also like mirror less cameras they are very convenient to carry around anywhere like my EOS-M ... but I do wish there were a lot more small prime lenses for them - like the 22mm f2 pancake lens. For me a full frame mirror less camera with small 24mm f/2.8 +  50mm f/2 + 100mm f/2.8 pancake sized lenses would be one killer setup to easily carry anywhere.
Canon 5DMK3 70D G1X | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 24-70OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | Metabones EF adapter | GoPro Black 3+ | DJI Quadcopter | Manfrotto+Gorilap

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:25 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
I like a true optical viewfinder which looks though the lens. It's the joy of DSLR's and a key feature. Yes it makes the camerea heavier, yes it adds bulk and yes it causes an enlarged distance from the rear of the lens to the ensor to accomodate the mirror mechanism...but it's just SO much nicer to use.
+1 ... but also like mirror less cameras they are very convenient to carry around anywhere like my EOS-M ... but I do wish there were a lot more small prime lenses for them - like the 22mm f2 pancake lens. For me a full frame mirror less camera with small 24mm f/2.8 +  50mm f/2 + 100mm f/2.8 pancake sized lenses would be one killer setup to easily carry anywhere.

+1.  It's almost the same as my current lens lineup.  Yes, I'll be happy if there are pancake versions of these lenses.  Hopefully development of EVF will be better in the coming years.  I always think that together with the pancake lenses, it will be the key to eventually get a good share of the DSLR market.  AF will be another area where it should display some improvement.

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:44:52 AM »
perfect recipe for canon
- take an AE1 body
- call it the AE-1D