October 26, 2014, 02:55:24 AM

Author Topic: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look  (Read 20452 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »
According to Nikon Rumors the "D4H specifications posted yesterday were 100% fake". According to the new info the camera will be called Nikon DF (apparently DF stands for "Digital Fusion") ... check this out at: (http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/24/the-name-will-be-nikon-df.aspx/
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 07:35:46 AM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
One question: when Canon will have something like this? Man, I love the RETRO/CLASSIC/VINTAGE look :o

As a Canon shooter, I'm little jealous here :-X

Me too, would look right at home round my neck;

RETRO - yip
CLASSIC - mmm, well maybe not
VINTAGE - yip

I have absolutly no doubt Canon will get into this market... in about 5 years time just as futuristic/contemporary comes into style  :o

paul13walnut5

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »
If you really want to go for that old school, just replace your EF's with ZF's or Samyangs and set your cam to Tv or M

Nothing like an aperture ring and MF to bring back the nostalgia.

Maybe even push the boat out and fit a split prism / microprism ring focus screen.

Similar user experience, or is it all about the look?

To be fair, I am guilty of this, the only film cameras I would seriously consider buying these days would be an FM2 or FM3, a Contax G2, or a Minolta CLE.  And mainly for the aesthtics of being seen using them, if I'm honest.  I might get a fixie bike whilst I'm at it.  And large rimmed glasses.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »
+1 on your gig tonight?

I'm guessing that besides that and appealing to former users of older camera's it might also be a response to size saving.

If the camera is going to have a form factor similar to the F3 then that isn't going to leave room for a top plate LCD, you dump that and marked dials are going to give you similar info without having to look at the back screen or the viewfinder.

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
The fact that it (reportedly) has no video mode is reason enough to buy it.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »
No video mode?  Did they rip out live view as well?

If not it's only a magic lantern hack away.

Heres a thing, as much as I lived handling the nikon fms fas etc when I was selling them, ergonomicslly they are horrid.  The new plastic rubber grip af style bodies may be souless and disconnected, but they do rather fit the hand well. 

I used a minolta sr-t303 very regularly up until around five years ago, loved the winder the finder the wind on, but on a cold day and generally, not all that nice in the hand.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »
From the latest video it does look like theres some kind of grip, looks similar but larger to the F3's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »
Hi,
    Hmm.... just wonder will they remove the rear LCD to complete the retro look...  :P

Don't really care about the retro look... anyway, 20 years down the road, my 6D will be the retro look camera... if it's still working.

Have a nice day.

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 05:55:41 AM »
No video mode?  Did they rip out live view as well?
If not it's only a magic lantern hack away.

Not if Nikon really does as promised in video teaser #3 "No clutter. No distractions".

Fairly easy to cut the video clutter on a DSLR
* no microphone built in
* no microphone jack
* no headphone jack
* no HDMI connector, just USB 2.0
* no red "record-video" button
* hardware incapable to pipe through uncompressed video, only low-quality stream for live view
* proprietary hardware and software that ML or others cannot hack for another 10 years

I'd salute them for that. Would be the frist DSLR in a long time witghout threads from video-guys demanding audio levels and zebars and this and that. What a relief. :-)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:29 AM »

Not if Nikon really does as promised in video teaser #3 "No clutter. No distractions".

Fairly easy to cut the video clutter on a DSLR
* no microphone built in
* no microphone jack
* no headphone jack
* no HDMI connector, just USB 2.0
* no red "record-video" button
* hardware incapable to pipe through uncompressed video, only low-quality stream for live view
* proprietary hardware and software that ML or others cannot hack for another 10 years

I'd salute them for that. Would be the frist DSLR in a long time witghout threads from video-guys demanding audio levels and zebars and this and that. What a relief. :-)

Hardware incapable... so a slow system bus? 
No USB 3.0?
Proprietary hardware and software...  yeah, cause hackers tend to obey such orders.

Anyway, it's camera that I'm not going to buy so it can have or not have whatever,  just a shame that because some folk don't use video that some feel nobody should use video.  I don't use PIC or averaged spot metering, maybe I could save a few bucks if canon would make a camera just for me without these features.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
Going by the latest pics, there appears to be a shutter dial, but no aperture ring on the kit lens.. curious ommision.

I know F mount, AF-D etc.. just seems odd to push a retro body with an electronic iris.

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
US$3000 and 750g.

How is this going to compete against Sony A7/A7r?

MrFotoFool

• Canon 70D
  • 5D mk3
    • View Profile
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »
US$3000 and 750g.

How is this going to compete against Sony A7/A7r?

1. No one really knows the price.  The 3K is just speculation as far as I can tell.

2. It will compete because there are A LOT more Nikon users with lenses invested than there are Sony users with lenses invested.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »
Hi,
    Hmm.... just wonder will they remove the rear LCD to complete the retro look...  :P

Don't really care about the retro look... anyway, 20 years down the road, my 6D will be the retro look camera... if it's still working.

Have a nice day.

:) True

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »
Anyway, it's camera that I'm not going to buy so it can have or not have whatever,  just a shame that because some folk don't use video that some feel nobody should use video.  I don't use PIC or averaged spot metering, maybe I could save a few bucks if canon would make a camera just for me without these features.

We are talking about - possibly, maybe - the first current DSLR (1) to not have video. Out of what, 2 dozen current DSLRs which all are "video-enabled" or even "video-optimized" (especially Canon).  In a market, where (an estimated) 80% of DSLR-purchasers do NOT capture video AT ALL. Other than possibly a short "test clip" after purchase. We are not talking about  "a camera only for me or for you". We are talking about strills-optimized cameras for the majority of stills-only photographers. Video-folks have PLENTY of choice. No need that EVERY camera has to be "video-enabled" or "video-optimized". Especially when a camera's basic construction  principle (mirror flapping in lightpath) is absolutely "not optimized" for video capture.

As far as the upcoming Nikon is concerned, I am not interested. To me it appears to be a butt-ugly downscaled D610 with a last generation low-resolution sensor. Fixed shutter-time dial on top instead of a much more useful and ergonomically placed multi-purpose thumb wheel (as on any other decent DSLR). Plus a retro-version of a lens that boasts an absolutely functionless chrome ring.  But let's wait and see, if Nikon is going to offer more than much ado about nothing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »