October 25, 2014, 08:12:39 AM

Author Topic: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look  (Read 20429 times)

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor: Nikon Digital FM2 - Retro look
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »
This is a very interesting/nice development ... I really wanted Canon/Nikon to come up with a full frame DSLR coz I'd feel a lot more comfortable in investing in Nikon gear than Sony ... if Canon does not announce something similar I'll happily buy the Nikon FF mirrorless ... but if Canon announces one before the Nikon is available for purchase I'll wait for Canon ... and I don't really care if its a retro design or not as long as it is relatively small size with small prime lenses ... putting zoom lenses or bigger lenses on mirror less cameras defeats the purpose of "small form factor".

I'd really love a digital AE-1.  I don't really care much if it's mirrorless or dslr.  As long as it has the look, IQ and competitive price, it'll be one thing to consider.  :)  It's like somebody revived Elvis.   ;D
Hilarious! I have an AE-1 Program that I used for years and would love to see that happen.  I would love to see Canon do a retro body/rangefinder style with a full frame sensor and a EF mount for my glass collection

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »
This new Nikon is rumored to be 765g, or about the same weight as a 6D.  It will be interesting to see if Nikon has been able to shrink the body size to something like the original FM/FE.  That would be a nice size. 
Actually, size wise, this camera is rumored to be the exact size of a 6D.

Rumored Camera: 765g, 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
6D: 755g, 144.5 x 110.5 x 71.2 millimeters.

For comparison, the Sony A7 is: 474g, 127 x 94 x 48 mm

edit: Ah, I see it doesnt appear to be mirrorless. That makes it a really odd camera, as the ergonomics of a lot of the old cameras are awful compared to modern ones. Maybe they are trying to pump this out cheaply to compete with the A7?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:49:22 AM by preppyak »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
I can't decide if this is a brilliant cutting edge move on Nikon's part or a pathetic attempt to squeeze dollars out of the camera collector market by recycling old designs and old components.

It seems like it could go either way.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

zlatko

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
This new Nikon is rumored to be 765g, or about the same weight as a 6D.  It will be interesting to see if Nikon has been able to shrink the body size to something like the original FM/FE.  That would be a nice size. 
Actually, size wise, this camera is rumored to be the exact size of a 6D.

Rumored Camera: 765g, 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm
6D: 755g, 144.5 x 110.5 x 71.2 millimeters.

For comparison, the Sony A7 is: 474g, 127 x 94 x 48 mm

edit: Ah, I see it doesnt appear to be mirrorless. That makes it a really odd camera, as the ergonomics of a lot of the old cameras are awful compared to modern ones. Maybe they are trying to pump this out cheaply to compete with the A7?

Interesting.  In that case it will be taller and deeper than the FM/FE camera bodies.  Deeper probably to accommodate an integrated hand grip with space for a battery.

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »
Certainly does sound like a fun product that could possibly kick serious butt!
However, for those looking away from Sony's recent A7/r ...
What's the register distance for the A7?...  is it short enough to handle adapters and a variety of other makers lenses?  If so, makes a very versatile imaging back end compared to an F-mount.

Yes, it can handle adapters for Nikon, Leica, Canon etc.  There are already videos on youtube of people testing pre-production models with 3rd party lenses, such as the 17-40L, with working autofocus.  Also, Samyang has announced that they'll be releasing 5 lenses for the Sony FE mount (14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC, T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC, 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC, 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC). 

Also, given that Sigma has their lens mount swapping service, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with their own FE mount.

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
Certainly does sound like a fun product that could possibly kick serious butt!
However, for those looking away from Sony's recent A7/r ...
What's the register distance for the A7?...  is it short enough to handle adapters and a variety of other makers lenses?  If so, makes a very versatile imaging back end compared to an F-mount.

Yes, it can handle adapters for Nikon, Leica, Canon etc.  There are already videos on youtube of people testing pre-production models with 3rd party lenses, such as the 17-40L, with working autofocus.  Also, Samyang has announced that they'll be releasing 5 lenses for the Sony FE mount (14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC, T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC, 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC, 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC). 

Also, given that Sigma has their lens mount swapping service, I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with their own FE mount.

In reading comments here and other forums regarding the new Sony body, I do not think people realize how crappy AF performance is going to be using other lenses than the new Sony lenses.. That realization along with the plethora of older 3rd party lenses will mean - manual focusing - which is even crappier using an EVF.. Mirrorless bodies are neat and all, certainly a means of access to more lenses than any one manufacturer ever dreamed of, but it is of limited benefit and not a functional substitute for an OVF and dedicated AF sensor.

As for the excitement over body size... all any manufacturer needs to do is drop pop-up flashes, drop 3.x" displays, drop the gadgetry that provides no benefit to actual photography (GPS, WiFi, etc) and maybe even ditch video recording (though that does not effect camera size other than another button, but is less than ideal with a ~2" lcd) and there would be plenty of room to shrink the body size around a FF sensor, mirror, and OVF.

In reality it is the average consumer today wanting any gadget they think will take the photo for them and tell everyone else they were there that prevents manufacturers from producing small foot print DSLRs - - NOT the current technology.
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Wonder if Canon going to have something like this? as a fun camera:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Rumor Dimensions & weight: 143.5 x 110 x 66.5mm (765g)

Vs

5D III - 150 x 110 x 76mm (860g)
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 01:56:48 AM »
Some updates:

Will be called Nikon D4H
    Will use EN-EL15 battery
    3" LCD Screen
    EVF/OVF hybrid viewfinder
    Can be used with true mirror lock up for non-AI lenses while still allowing viewing through view finder.
    New hybrid mechanical shutter
    No AA filter
    No video in low power mode but otherwise it will have video (?)
    Expeed 3A processor
    Price: $3,000 for body only, $3,300 for a kit with the new 50mm f/1.8G lens
    Black, Black/Sliver and Chrome version will be available

There's also a video on it right at Nikonrumors.  Looking nice but expensive.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 03:38:28 AM »
Probably come with an optional Oil throwing shutter mechanism.

Immediately followed by the D4H/10  :o

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 04:44:05 AM »
Nikon - Pure Photography #1

"in my hands again" .. oO  :P

reminds me of the Oly Pen clips 3 years ago, with Kevin Spacey - "don't be a tourist". ;-)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 05:12:03 AM »
I like a chrome version of a digital AE1 with same specs as a 6D but a little bit AF and priced just a little bit above 6D.  If that's the case, my 6D would immediately go on sale.  :)  I don't know but I love the design and grip of some old cameras.  It seems I'm missing the chrome finish from my dad's Yashica fx 103.  I shot with it till the circuit board got fried.  I was told it's better to look for another one rather than fix it.  :(

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
Wonder if Canon going to have something like this? as a fun camera:

The problem I'd say would be that Canon is limated by the mount switch to EOS, Nikon not only has a lot of manual lenses on the second hand market but actually still produces a lot of the AIS lenses.

I'm guessing when/if Canon release an EVF/OVF viewfinder SLR it'll be much more geared towards video.

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
I share some of the concerns that are being posted on the Nikon forums:  What is Nikon's intent with this camera?  What niche is it trying to fill?

Is it aimed at photographers who like the retro look and want a walk around street camera?  Is Nikon trying to take some of the retro business from Leica?

It sounds like an interesting camera.  But before I can make any comparision to other cameras, prior to purchase, I would like to know more about this camera. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
I can't decide if this is a brilliant cutting edge move on Nikon's part or a pathetic attempt to squeeze dollars out of the camera collector market by recycling old designs and old components.

It seems like it could go either way.

If the rumored price is correct, I'm inclined to now go with my second assessment.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Some updates:

Will be called Nikon D4H
    Will use EN-EL15 battery
    3" LCD Screen
    EVF/OVF hybrid viewfinder
    Can be used with true mirror lock up for non-AI lenses while still allowing viewing through view finder.
    New hybrid mechanical shutter
    No AA filter
    No video in low power mode but otherwise it will have video (?)
    Expeed 3A processor
    Price: $3,000 for body only, $3,300 for a kit with the new 50mm f/1.8G lens
    Black, Black/Sliver and Chrome version will be available

There's also a video on it right at Nikonrumors.  Looking nice but expensive.

One question: when Canon will have something like this? Man, I love the RETRO/CLASSIC/VINTAGE look :o

As a Canon shooter, I'm little jealous here :-X
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »