August 22, 2014, 04:13:30 AM

Author Topic: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!  (Read 31160 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
Is it weather-sealed?

Meaning will they add some cent worth of rubber seals :-> ... probably yes, as Yongnuo doesn't use sealing as a marketing instrument.

I never found sealed flashes as a marketing ploy but something I need.

Au contrarie my friend, surely you don't "need" it, you have told us many times "gear doesn't matter", why should a little thing like a sealing ring stop somebody like yourself?

Well I could get what I want anyway but it may not last very long in a wet shoot. ;) it's pretty inconvenient to do so. But thanks for still not linking your portfolio after all this time on CR. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »

Well I could get what I want anyway but it may not last very long in a wet shoot. ;) it's pretty inconvenient to do so. But thanks for still not linking your portfolio after all this time on CR. :)
I never will for the same reasons I never have, it is called consistency, some have it, some don't.....
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
Canon needs to step up their game and release something comparable...

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »
Canon needs to step up their game and release something comparable...

No they don't. They never did with the ST-E2 and the Yongnuo clone is way better than that too. Canon have always been conservative, always, if they are not 100% behind a technology or feature they won't release it, particularly on the high end gear like top of the range flashes.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
I'd like to see Canon's apparently reverse-engineered system become the de facto standard so a camera can communicate intelligently with studio lights, meters, the whole shooting match.  There can be no technical reason it can't be made to work.  I get the current economics, but I'd vote with my wallet for commonality.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 01:27:43 AM »
If the Yongnuo st-e3 cost less than $200, I got 2 600 ex-rt that will appreciate it :)
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:43 AM »
I'd like to see Canon's apparently reverse-engineered system become the de facto standard so a camera can communicate intelligently with studio lights, meters, the whole shooting match.

I don't see any reason why Yongnuo wouldn't want to release triggers for rt older Speedlites and studio flashes, though it's duplicating their non-rt radio trigger/flash line, but if the demand is there...

What still puzzles me is Canon, they must have seen this coming, or someone just got fired for not properly encrypting their rt protocol. So I wouldn't exclude the possibility that something new is in the queue like the 430ex2 successor once the Yongnuo flash clones are actually on the market in sufficient quantities.

The other possibility might be that Canon indeed doesn't care which might be backed by the fact that the rt protocol is not very innovative other than the group mode which fixes the completely outdated/quirky ratio system - no second curtain remote, no remote zoom.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:41:43 AM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »

I never will for the same reasons I never have, it is called consistency, some have it, some don't.....

???

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
So if I understand correctly, the biggest advantage of the Yongnuo system over the Phottix Mitros is that it allows mixing and matching with the Canon RT system? Any idea how much these doohickeys will cost? I love everything about the Canon RT system except the price!

IMHO, the market is screaming for a radio triggering system that provides TTL functionality for Speedites, but allows remotely controlling the power (albiet manually, of course) of a studio light. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
IMHO, the market is screaming for a radio triggering system that provides TTL functionality for Speedites, but allows remotely controlling the power (albiet manually, of course) of a studio light.

My PocketWizard setup can do that - TTL for the Canon flashes, remote power adjustment for my Einstein 640 via a PowerMC2 (or semi-auto, with power tracking where it automatically compensates when I change aperture or ISO). 

What I'm clamoring for is a Canon RT-compatible receiver that allows simple triggering of a monolight...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 10:49:14 AM »
If the Yongnuo st-e3 cost less than $200, I got 2 600 ex-rt that will appreciate it :)

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing...I've got 2x 600's...and am dying to be able to take one of them off the 33' sync cord, and have them BOTH run wirelessly.

I'll be getting one of these likely quite soon if they look as good as they sound.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

My PocketWizard setup can do that - TTL for the Canon flashes, remote power adjustment for my Einstein 640 via a PowerMC2 (or semi-auto, with power tracking where it automatically compensates when I change aperture or ISO). 

Can poor people (like me :)) who use Alien Bees/White Lightnings also benefit from the MC2, or will they only work with Einsteins?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
Can poor people (like me :)) who use Alien Bees/White Lightnings also benefit from the MC2, or will they only work with Einsteins?

Only Einsteins.  For AB/WL, you'd need a FlexTT5 tranceiver and an AC9.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »

Only Einsteins.  For AB/WL, you'd need a FlexTT5 tranceiver and an AC9.

It would be badass if you could have the benefits of the MC2 built-in to the FlexTT5, but then Speedlite users would complain that they're paying for something they don't need. Kinda like the "I don't need video on an SLR" whiners ;D. At least Pocket Wizard gives you the option of adding on studio light power control to its existing receivers with the MC2. Pretty cool!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
It would be badass if you could have the benefits of the MC2 built-in to the FlexTT5, but then Speedlite users would complain that they're paying for something they don't need. Kinda like the "I don't need video on an SLR" whiners ;D. At least Pocket Wizard gives you the option of adding on studio light power control to its existing receivers with the MC2. Pretty cool!

Actually, the MC2 is really a dedicated unit.  It plugs right into the top of the E640, using the same pin connections as PCB's CyberSync unit.

But the AC9 is an add-on to the regular receiver.  The MC2 is a nice deal, in that it's standalone and costs $100, whereas to integrate an AB/WL monolight into the PW system, you need a FlexTT5 and an AC9, which will run about $275.   That means for existing PW users, getting an Einstein is cheaper than a B1600, and less than $50 more than a B800. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »