October 01, 2014, 12:23:07 AM

Author Topic: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!  (Read 32337 times)

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
I suppose I'd better chime in on the reliability factor. I bought my YN-E3-RT in December from Yongnuo's ebay store and have used it very little. I took it out a few weeks ago to use and the batteries (freshly charged eneloops) were dead. When I removed the spent batteries, a small piece of plastic followed the batteries out the door. The unit still works fine, but it drains the batteries when not in use and has a piece of plastic that intermittently rattles around inside. Today I emailed their ebay store about the problem and will report back on their response, or lack thereof.
 I am one of those people who don't like to use flash if at all possible, but when I want/need it, then I want it. Fortunately, I lucked out and snagged a new Canon ST-E3-RT off ebay for $239. Since I still occasionally use a 5Dll and a 7D, I hope Yongnuo honors their warranty and sends a replacement. This scenario is why I decided to buy from their store and pay a little more ($146) in the first place...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:00 AM »
Oh, thats bad luck....
Mine is working fine.
I even managed to fire my 600EX RTs with my Fuji X100s.....

Nice little piece!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2014, 05:55:58 AM »
When I removed the spent batteries, a small piece of plastic followed the batteries out the door.

Where exactly did that come from - anything you suggest to prevent this from happening?

As for the reliability: Just from a couple of posts in a forum - no matter positive or negative - we'll never get a good survey, esp. there's a bias against 3rd party manufacturers: If Sigma/Yongnuo/... breaks it'll be on the Internet as a systematic failure, when Canon breaks it's an isolated case covered by the warranty. Still, I do regret ordering the Trigger as cheap as it comes from an obscure eBay seller as I doubt he'll make good on the warranty (if there's any).

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
I understand your point.
But having the original as a backup there was no risk of having no transmitter.
And the extras I like a lot.
The build quality is good, not like the original, but solid.
I do not regret buying it.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
When I removed the spent batteries, a small piece of plastic followed the batteries out the door.

Where exactly did that come from - anything you suggest to prevent this from happening?

As for the reliability: Just from a couple of posts in a forum - no matter positive or negative - we'll never get a good survey, esp. there's a bias against 3rd party manufacturers: If Sigma/Yongnuo/... breaks it'll be on the Internet as a systematic failure, when Canon breaks it's an isolated case covered by the warranty. Still, I do regret ordering the Trigger as cheap as it comes from an obscure eBay seller as I doubt he'll make good on the warranty (if there's any).

The piece came out of the guts of the transmitter. Nothing extraordinary caused this to happen. I can see nothing broken/missing when I look inside the door. There is another piece rattling around inside the transmitter that just wont fall out. The unit still works fine, but it will drain the batteries in about a week even when powered off. I have been in contact with hkyongnuophotoequipment and have sent them pictures/descriptions of the problem. They have asked me to send the unit back to them for a refund or replacement, so they appear, so far, to be handling this in a professional manner. I have since picked up a Canon ST-E3-RT as I already have 2 600EX's and so am committed to the system. I'm not sure whether I want a refund or replacement. I still use a 5Dll and a 7D, and I also find the focus assist light occasionally useful. I will probably go ahead and get a refund for now. The price of them has gone down to $138 on ebay and I suspect they will drop further, so I may pick up another one in the future.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:44:00 PM by brad-man »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »

The piece came out of the guts of the camera. Nothing extraordinary caused this to happen. I can see nothing broken/missing when I look inside the door. There is another piece rattling around inside the transmitter that just wont fall out. The unit still works fine, but it will drain the batteries in about a week even when powered off. I have been in contact with hkyongnuophotoequipment and have sent them pictures/descriptions of the problem. They have asked me to send the unit back to them for a refund or replacement, so they appear, so far, to be handling this in a professional manner. I have since picked up a Canon ST-E3-RT as I already have 2 600EX's and so am committed to the system. I'm not sure whether I want a refund or replacement. I still use a 5Dll and a 7D, and I also find the focus assist light occasionally useful. I will probably go ahead and get a refund for now. The price of them has gone down to $138 on ebay and I suspect they will drop further, so I may pick up another one in the future.

Are you stuck with return shipping fee back to Hong Kong? 

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

The piece came out of the guts of the camera. Nothing extraordinary caused this to happen. I can see nothing broken/missing when I look inside the door. There is another piece rattling around inside the transmitter that just wont fall out. The unit still works fine, but it will drain the batteries in about a week even when powered off. I have been in contact with hkyongnuophotoequipment and have sent them pictures/descriptions of the problem. They have asked me to send the unit back to them for a refund or replacement, so they appear, so far, to be handling this in a professional manner. I have since picked up a Canon ST-E3-RT as I already have 2 600EX's and so am committed to the system. I'm not sure whether I want a refund or replacement. I still use a 5Dll and a 7D, and I also find the focus assist light occasionally useful. I will probably go ahead and get a refund for now. The price of them has gone down to $138 on ebay and I suspect they will drop further, so I may pick up another one in the future.

Are you stuck with return shipping fee back to Hong Kong?

When I replied that I would be happy to return the transmitter to them, I asked them what would be the best method. When they reply, I will find out. If they do not offer to cover return postage, I will bring the matter up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:09:31 PM by brad-man »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »