November 22, 2014, 07:09:53 AM

Author Topic: PocketWizard, Yongnuo, or Phottix?  (Read 13214 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: PocketWizard, Yongnuo, or Phottix?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
personally i use phottix odins

they are not the cheapest but they are the best
the transmitter unit has a really nice large intuitive display screen on the back which lets you control all your flash functionallity and groups etc

they also allow high speed sync with studio strobes this is an undocumented feature but still pretty cool
one cool thing with this is you dont need the expensive odin recievers on the studio light you can just use a much cheaper stratto 2!

then you can mix speedlights and studio lights and do pretty much whatever you like and control the speedlights from the back of the transmitter, the studio lights you cant control as they are hooked up with the 3.5mm audio jack

+ 100 for me , Sir
In my Idea past 5-6 months,  The Phottix Odin , 1 Transmiter and 4 Receivers are the Best for Me, Lazy Photographer , (who use E-TTL, and E-TTL II, AUTOFLASH IN THE SHOOTING MODES).After I use many High cost and the Cheapo Wireless Flashes control  FOR MANY, MANY YEARS.
Yes, I get  98% Best/ Usable Flash Photos from my Phottix Odin.
Surapon

bahahahaha that rig is amazing!
i made a little rig so i could mount a flash and receiver to the base of the L bracket and use a ray flash ring flash while still firing all my remote lights and controlling it from the odin controller but its nothing like your construction master piece!
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »

I expect to see second curtain and wireless zoom in the next generation of Canon flashes.

Jim

I don't, if they were going to introduce those as features then they would have done it with the introduction of the RT system. They chose to go five groups instead of three ( much more useful to me), and built in tranceivers, an industry first.

I agree with you on the rest, make no mistake; I stand by my assertion that zoom and wireless second curtain sync will be in the next flash.  That may be due to unresolved technical issues or an interest in having something to set the new flash apart, but I have no doubt it'll show up.

Jim

i've never had any issues with remote second curtain sync with my odins what technical issues are you referring to?
I've only experienced 100% success with these things. I've had less reliability with 580ex 2 flashes in the hotshoe or optically slaved as the 580 exII have this tendency to dump full power blasts randomly which they don't seem to do when going through the odins
APS-H Fanboy

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »

I expect to see second curtain and wireless zoom in the next generation of Canon flashes.

Jim

I don't, if they were going to introduce those as features then they would have done it with the introduction of the RT system. They chose to go five groups instead of three ( much more useful to me), and built in tranceivers, an industry first.

I agree with you on the rest, make no mistake; I stand by my assertion that zoom and wireless second curtain sync will be in the next flash.  That may be due to unresolved technical issues or an interest in having something to set the new flash apart, but I have no doubt it'll show up.

Jim

i've never had any issues with remote second curtain sync with my odins what technical issues are you referring to?
I've only experienced 100% success with these things. I've had less reliability with 580ex 2 flashes in the hotshoe or optically slaved as the 580 exII have this tendency to dump full power blasts randomly which they don't seem to do when going through the odins

Ah the internet and crossed conversations.

I didn't say the Odin had an issue second curtain syncing with your camera and your flash in the old style three group mode, I said Canon probably didn't feel 100% comfortable introducing it in the newer 5 group RT system. I also alluded to any and all third party reverse engineering and work around solutions, not specifically the Odin, lets be honest as far as flash systems go they have a pretty poor record, just look at Pocket Wizard blaming the 580 EX II for their own failings as the best example.

Besides, as you point out in your reply above this one, the Odin solution is not the cheap solution, a 580EX II and an Odin cost more than a 600-EX-RT. So from a price point of view Canon vs Odin becomes a features issue, I value built in manufacturer reliability with five groups and future proofing more than second curtain sync and remote head zooming in a piggybacked old style three group third party solution.

Of course the costs workout differently for people depending on what they have already, but it is all just choices. Quite how Yongnuo expect to sell many YN-600-EX-RT flashes at $400-$450 compared to frequent sales of Canon 600-EX-RT's at $499 I am not quite sure though.

As for being sure the remote zoom and second curtain sync coming in a 610-EX-RT, well I wouldn't say categorically they won't, but even if they did it will, by previous top of the range flash life expectancy, be 5 or 6 years before they do, and as for product differentiation there are a million other things they could do to make the 600 "better" before adopting those two features, besides the lower order flashes are due for makeovers before it is. Electronic control over colour temp would be another groundbreaking first in a Speedlite, zooming to 300mm, not needing a diffuser panel to go super wide, a better implementation of their gel system complete with a good selection of auto setting or chipped gels, smooth detents for angled bounce, I can't be the only one finding the current system inefficient, how about a locking ball type mount you can unlock, position the head and re-lock with one hand? Infinite adjustment and more secure with bigger modifiers. Maybe I should write a white paper for the Canon Speedlite team  :)
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
I'm planning to expand my speedlite system next year. I like where the Phottix system is headed. I'm thinking about getting the Odin and a couple of Mitros flashes. Does anyone know if the Mitros has the receivers built in or will I have  to get the new Mitros +?  Any comments/reviews are appreciated. From what I've seen so far, it's a great system.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »
I'm planning to expand my speedlite system next year. I like where the Phottix system is headed. I'm thinking about getting the Odin and a couple of Mitros flashes. Does anyone know if the Mitros has the receivers built in or will I have  to get the new Mitros +?  Any comments/reviews are appreciated. From what I've seen so far, it's a great system.

Dear Sir, Mr. captainkanji
+ 10 for Phottix Odin = Wonderful Add on Flash control equipment, BUT, You have to make sure that Can Operated with Mitros Flashes----Because , When I got the New Phottix Odin 8 months ago, They supply the List of Flashes that can use with Odin.
That I only use with  my Old Flashes MFG. by Canon. and some of my  Old Canon Flashes Since 1999 Work fine with Odin.

Surapon

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

The Phottix Mitros speedlights don't have the built-in receivers other than optical TTL.  The whole point of the Mitros+ is to introduce built-in receivers.  That said, the Mitros+ looks to be pretty pricey for a third-party system.  I have been using the Phottix Stratos II triggers for over a year now and can't speak highly enough about them, so I'm def a fan of Phottix, but surprised their new flashes are so pricey.  You should definitely wait to see how the new YungNuo gear turns out for performance and price.  I suspect they will be really well priced and hopefully as (or even more) solid as all of their previous gear. 

This is an exciting period because the options for remote control of speedlights pretty much didn't exist at all, and now there are lots of options on the horizon.  I'll be making the same decision after the YN release myself.  My current setup works great, but I would love to have remote manual power control.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the input.  I'm still planning on the Odin system.  The 600RTs are too expensive, so I'll probably get the Mitros or some 580ex used and they seem to be 'medium' priced.  I don't have any experience with Yongnuo.  Maybe if I get more than 2 speedlites and am low on cash I'll get some.  I'm trying to get into Manual more anyway.  Thanks again everyone. ;D
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the input.  I'm still planning on the Odin system.  The 600RTs are too expensive, so I'll probably get the Mitros or some 580ex used and they seem to be 'medium' priced.  I don't have any experience with Yongnuo.  Maybe if I get more than 2 speedlites and am low on cash I'll get some.  I'm trying to get into Manual more anyway.  Thanks again everyone. ;D

Do your maths very carefully.

• Two secondhand 580EX II's will run close to $700, a two receiver one transmitter set of Odins will cost around $350, so approximately $1,050 for third party.
  • Two 600EX-RT's can be bought refurb from Canon with one year warranty and free shipping from as little as $400, some have got them for less, and don't forget there is no warranty on your who knows how well used 580's. An ST-E3-RT will run you $300 or so, for a total of $1,100, or $50 or so dollars difference, for a genuine Canon setup fully warrantied and future proofed.

If you already have the 580's the maths is different, but I sold some of my 550's to buy into the RT system because of the small price differential, the five group option, the warranty, the fact that I could trigger my remotes with an on camera fill (not yet possible without a clumsy workaround with the Odins) and a few other niceties.

Like I say, if you are starting a system, do the maths very carefully if you are going for a controllable radio system.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
Yeah.  Looks like an Odin with 2 receivers and one Mitros will run me about $700.  I already have the 430exII.  It's a good starting point for me and is a bit pricey, but I really want the control options.  The Canon system is great, I'm sure, but $1000 is definitely above what I'm willing to pay for now.  It's still a while off, as I want to try and get a new 15 Macbook Retina.  Gotta work more of that overtime  ;)

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Dear Sir, Mr. captainkanji
Here are the list of the Flashes that can use with Phottix Odin

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.casema.nl%2Fmmuetstege%2FOdin.html

Enjoy.
Surapon

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 09:07:19 PM »
Thanks for that link.  It looks like pretty much any of the current Canon will work.  The Mitros isn't listed though.  The article was probably done before the Mitros was introduced.  Phottix's official web site says that all of the Mitros flashes are compatible.  The Mitros will also require a receiver.  Took some digging as their website isn't very user friendly.  Interestingly, most of the Yongnuo's don't work.  I'm looking forward to getting some off camera practice next Spring/Summer.

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
I just picked up 3 Phottix Mitros+ units for $319.95. Adorama had a super quick sale and dropped the price from $399.95.  It must have been a very fast sale and it sold out almost immediately.  They are back ordered so it will be 2 weeks before I get them.

Pretty excited about the built in transmitter/receiver.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

surapon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
Thanks for that link.  It looks like pretty much any of the current Canon will work.  The Mitros isn't listed though.  The article was probably done before the Mitros was introduced.  Phottix's official web site says that all of the Mitros flashes are compatible.  The Mitros will also require a receiver.  Took some digging as their website isn't very user friendly.  Interestingly, most of the Yongnuo's don't work.  I'm looking forward to getting some off camera practice next Spring/Summer.

Dear Sir, Mr. Captainkanji.
One thing =  Less than 50 US Dollars that you must have , when you  Have Phottix Odin -=  Rouge 3-1 Grid.
Please go to see my comment at the Link below, This Rogue will change your life as I did 8 months ago.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17756.0

Have FUN, Sir,
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
I had a set of the yongnuo 622c's... and I'm not sure if it was a problem from day one, but one of the devices didn't respond well with ettl and only worked as a manual trigger... but when I had the other on, I had full ettl control.  More of an annoyance than a problem.

I returned them... got a new set that works... so just be careful if you expect 100% consistency and reliability.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
+1
If you are doing it for money the 600-EX-RT, it is well worth the money. I have not had a single flash failure or misfire in a year of shooting with them. Buy once, future proof yourself, get the 600's and don't look back.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »