October 23, 2014, 02:13:01 PM

Author Topic: PocketWizard, Yongnuo, or Phottix?  (Read 12667 times)

steen-ag

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: PocketWizard, Yongnuo, or Phottix?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 02:38:32 AM »
I use Phottix Odin with 3 receivers. It's perfect that you can set every thing in your Canon flashes, just entering the parameters on the back of Odin.

:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 02:38:32 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
I use Phottix Odin with 3 receivers. It's perfect that you can set every thing in your Canon flashes, just entering the parameters on the back of Odin.

Dear Friend, Mr. Steen-ag.
Please do not forget to up-date Phottix Odin Firmware V 1.24

http://journal.phottix.com/photo-accessory-news/phottix-odin-canon-firmware-update/

Enjoy.
Surapon

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:24 AM »
I'm planning to expand my speedlite system next year. I like where the Phottix system is headed. I'm thinking about getting the Odin and a couple of Mitros flashes. Does anyone know if the Mitros has the receivers built in or will I have  to get the new Mitros +?  Any comments/reviews are appreciated. From what I've seen so far, it's a great system.

I'm going to pick up a couple of mitros+ flashes in the next week or so when they are available so i'll have some feedback a little while after that. the mitros with no + do not have the receivers built in
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 05:26:39 AM »

http://journal.phottix.com/photo-accessory-news/phottix-odin-canon-firmware-update/

Enjoy.
Surapon

interesting the are advertising the higher speed sync function now with studio lights even though they have been able to do this for a while now as an undocumented feature
APS-H Fanboy

blanddragon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
I too use a Phottix Odin with three remotes on my 430EX IIs. It works great and I don't have any issues. Battery life is excellent and I have yet to have any range issues I've had with other systems. It just works for me. Very happy with them.
Pinhole camera

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »

Enjoy.
Surapon

interesting the are advertising the higher speed sync function now with studio lights even though they have been able to do this for a while now as an undocumented feature

Yes, Sir, Dear Mr. wickidwombat

"ods is Overdrive Sync, a new beta function in the latest firmware. This function allows triggering delay times to be set on an Odin TCU. This can allow an increase in sync speed over standard X-Sync when using studio lights. Don’t get too excited – a number of variables come in to play: Your camera, the studio light, the power level and flash duration of the studio light can all effect the ods function. What works with one brand and model and studio light may not work with another.

A new menu has been added to the Odin – this will allow a triggering delay (in milliseconds) to be set. This takes experimentation to find the “sweet spot” in your set-up."

Yes, You are right on the target, Old News---But they try to make with all Brand name Studio lights.
Have a great day , Sir.
Surapon

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
personally i use phottix odins

they are not the cheapest but they are the best
the transmitter unit has a really nice large intuitive display screen on the back which lets you control all your flash functionallity and groups etc

they also allow high speed sync with studio strobes this is an undocumented feature but still pretty cool
one cool thing with this is you dont need the expensive odin recievers on the studio light you can just use a much cheaper stratto 2!

then you can mix speedlights and studio lights and do pretty much whatever you like and control the speedlights from the back of the transmitter, the studio lights you cant control as they are hooked up with the 3.5mm audio jack

Phottix also allows 2nd curtain sync off camera, which the Canon 600's cannot. Can someone explain how a 3rd party company can make a flash that can do that on a Canon camera, but Canon can't???????  ??? ??? ??  ??? ???

Wow, I had no idea the 600EX-RT's wouldn't handle 2nd curtain synch off-camera!  :(
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »

Wow, I had no idea the 600EX-RT's wouldn't handle 2nd curtain synch off-camera!  :(

Canon have never supported remote flash second curtain sync, now or in the past, if you haven't missed it so far I don't see why you should miss it in the future.............

It is a feature that is often pointed out as a serious failing of the two Canon remote systems, but who regularly uses it? Seriously, we can all point to an example or two of its use, but who needs it often? (If you are that one or two people please point us to a collection of examples of your uses.)
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »

Canon have never supported remote flash second curtain sync, now or in the past, if you haven't missed it so far I don't see why you should miss it in the future.............

It is a feature that is often pointed out as a serious failing of the two Canon remote systems, but who regularly uses it? Seriously, we can all point to an example or two of its use, but who needs it often? (If you are that one or two people please point us to a collection of examples of your uses.)
no remote second curtain sync is a deal breaker for me
here are some examples
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:07:49 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
heres some more
all unprocessed raws just converted to jpg
APS-H Fanboy

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »
here are some examples

Every single one of those "examples" would look exactly the same with first curtain sync, you are just dragging the shutter, it doesn't make any difference if the flash fires at the beginning or end of the exposure for that type of image.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

vlad

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »
I'm currently selling my 580 II's and PW Flex/Minis, and looking forward to buying Mitros+ to simplify things.  Fewer things to carry, batteries to change, etc.  If the new system works well, the only thing I will/might miss is using the PW AC3+AC9 to control power output of both speedlites and my alienbee remotely.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:04 AM »
here are some examples

Every single one of those "examples" would look exactly the same with first curtain sync, you are just dragging the shutter, it doesn't make any difference if the flash fires at the beginning or end of the exposure for that type of image.
I disagree I find the images sharper using second curtain as the sharp image is exposed over the top of any movement blur not the other way around
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 05:19:04 AM »

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:35 AM »
here are some examples

I disagree I find the images sharper using second curtain as the sharp image is exposed over the top of any movement blur not the other way around

That's the way I understand it... My goal is to resurrect my wedding business and I have visualized shots with light trails entering the image and then "popping" the B&G PJ-style... Can't do that with 1st curtain...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

Well you might disagree, but that doesn't make you right. You have two exposures, ambient and flash, the two exposures are exactly the same, the burn in is identical with first or second curtain sync for the same ambient exposure, one is not "on top" of the other as the pixel information relays a two dimensional image, each pixels brightness is the result of the combined two exposures. Further, any movement blur is outside the sharper flash image, the pixels that record the blur are pixels that didn't get any flash exposure, so how can it matter when the flash fired?

There are a couple of good reasons for second curtain sync, but imo your examples are not one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »