October 20, 2014, 04:36:31 AM

Author Topic: New 1DX Firmware Version 2  (Read 9369 times)

Archangel72

• Canon AE-1
  • Amateur on horizon!!! Brace yourselves for impact!
    • View Profile
    • Dreamstime
Re: New 1DX Firmware Version 2
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
I'm very pleased with upgrade for photography, but, what about upgrade for video capabilities on this monster?
1080/60p is still mission impossible?
Let Canon 1D C have 4K, but please let us Canon 1D X owners have 1080/60p.  ;)

Good job Canon!

Now... go for video firmware upgrade !
Canon EOS 1Dx, 16-35 f2.8 L II, 70-200 f2.8 L II, Extender EF 2x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Gitzo 3541L, Ballhead 3780QR, B&W S03 F-PRO Serie E 77mm & 82mm circular polarizer, SANDISK EXTREME PRO 16 GBx2, RODE stereo microphone, TC-80N3 timer cable remote control, Manfrotto PRO VII LINO collection

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
I hope none of these new functions make it to 5D III and 7D, 7D II.

Now there is an even bigger gap between PRO and advanced cameras.

(yes, even TIPA and EISA categorise the 5D III as an advanced camera)

Using both 1D-X and 5D Mark III I wonder just how I would benefit from bigger gaps between these cameras?  :o

I don't care for categorization of these cameras as advanced or anything else, either. Camera bodies are tools, not status symbols.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
Great set of updates.   Wonder it Canonis planning to close the gap between 1Dx and 5DM3 & hopefully introduce a mini 1DX-c which would house an APS-C sensor in the 1Dx body (perhaps only 15-16 MP) and definitely lower ISO performance.   Would help with wildlife photography.   Too bad they killed the APS-H sensor which was a good compromise

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 11:08:14 AM »
Neuro:

Thanks for clearing that up, I have often been a bit annoyed when going between flash and not and having to change the minimum shutter when switching to M for flash.

If I got this right that means I can use this new function to limit my shutter in the same way as before, and still have slower (1/250s sync) when going directly to M mode?

Correct, the updated setting applies in Av mode but not in other modes. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »

I'm curious to know your line of thinking behind this.  Is it just spite, or elitism, or is there an actual rational thought behind it?

Kwanon

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »

I'm curious to know your line of thinking behind this.  Is it just spite, or elitism, or is there an actual rational thought behind it?

I don't try to be smart. I just like the 1D X and just sayin' it' far superior to any other Canon camera.

No need to request features or new 5D or 7D. The perfect camera is already here.

Not spite, not elitism, just 100% realism.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:46:45 AM by Kwanon »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
I don't try to be smart. I just like the 1D X and just sayin' it' far superior to any other Canon camera.
No need to request features or new 5D or 7D. The perfect camera is already here.

Sorry, but your post makes no sense.  Yes, the 1D X is a great camera - but if these new features make it into the 5DIII, so much the better.  After all, you can buy two of 5DIII bodies for the price of one of your 'perfect cameras'.  While the 1D X is a great camera, 'perfect' is a stretch.  For example, I'd sure like the 5DIII's quiet shutter (the 1D X's quiet mode simply isn't).

The only possible rationale I can see for your attitude is that if the feature set of the 5DIII improves, it might hurt resale value for the 1D X.  I think that's a specious argument, at best.  The 1Ds was the 'perfect camera' of its day...and the 5DIII is better in almost every possible way.  Build quality and frame rate notwithstanding, I bet the 5DIV will be an improvement over the 'perfect' 1D X in many ways (and we'll see used 1D X availability rise and price fall dramatically, just as happened for the 1DsIII after the 5DIII came out).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »

Canon1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
Am I going crazy, or are they finally giving us a true Auto-ISO in M with exposure compensation?!?!?

That's a pleasant surprise!

You already had this.  (At least my 5d3 has it. I assume 1dx does as well)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »
Am I going crazy, or are they finally giving us a true Auto-ISO in M with exposure compensation?!?!?

Please explain how the 5DIII has this... 

The idea behind this feature is that you can select an aperture and shutter speed, let the camera choose the ISO to provide a metered exposure, AND apply exposure compensation to adjust the exposure via ISO, on the fly to suit the scene (e.g. a bird in flight with a bright sky background, the metered exposure will underexpose the bird, and applying EC would be a fast fix).  Currently, no Canon camera offers this capability (although something similar can be achieved on 1-series bodies with a somewhat kludgy workaround).

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »

Got it.  So it is elitism, with a bit of spite mixed in. 

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »
I have one AF setup with Case 1 and single point on my AF-ON button, next to it I have the AE lock button set to Case 6 with 4 point expansion.

Again, what's different with the new way? I could easily change everything between those to setups.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »

I knew Leica owners could be camera snobs, but this is the first I've heard of in the Canon realm.  I've never seen a Rebel user or anyone else snobbed among Canon users (as that's how most of us started), so this is a sad first.  I mean that 100% for real.

sulla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • my flickr page
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
YEA, exposure compensation in Manual with auto-ISO!!! I soooooo miss it.
5D & EF 8-15 f/4L, EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 40 f/2.8 STM, MP-E 65 f/2.8 Macro, TS-E 90 f/2.8, EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »

I knew Leica owners could be camera snobs, but this is the first I've heard of in the Canon realm.  I've never seen a Rebel user or anyone else snobbed among Canon users (as that's how most of us started), so this is a sad first.  I mean that 100% for real.

Well, the cameras are pretty much the same across Canon's amateur lines, Rebel to 5d3.  Those cameras are like 25% real, 28% tops.

Canon1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »

Sorry to add confusion to the thread.  Didn't see the "M"anual in the original thread.  Stupid phone. 

Please explain how the 5DIII has this... 

The idea behind this feature is that you can select an aperture and shutter speed, let the camera choose the ISO to provide a metered exposure, AND apply exposure compensation to adjust the exposure via ISO, on the fly to suit the scene (e.g. a bird in flight with a bright sky background, the metered exposure will underexpose the bird, and applying EC would be a fast fix).  Currently, no Canon camera offers this capability (although something similar can be achieved on 1-series bodies with a somewhat kludgy workaround).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:34 AM »