July 31, 2014, 07:05:16 PM

Author Topic: New 1DX Firmware Version 2  (Read 8694 times)

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
New 1DX Firmware Version 2
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »
Am I going crazy, or are they finally giving us a true Auto-ISO in M with exposure compensation?!?!?

That's a pleasant surprise!

canon rumors FORUM

New 1DX Firmware Version 2
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: New 1DX Firmware Version 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
Always a BIG fan of BIG firmware updates, love this!

I just don't get the increase in minimum shutter with auto iso. I have always set my shutter speed range in Av mode and using Auto-iso, that way I choose my aperture and my shutter never drops below what I choose, say 1/2000s, and auto-iso keeps my exposure correct, how is this different?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »
Am I going crazy, or are they finally giving us a true Auto-ISO in M with exposure compensation?!?!?

At least according to the announcement it reads like that  8).

I am also pleasantly surprised at the announced AF improvements. AF performance was one of the primary reasons I purchased my 1D-X in the first place and if this is going to be even better with the new firmware, that's really something nice.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:01:14 AM »
FWIW, the left hand panel rumour heading links aren't correct

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

yep. Finally. Now that Canon has understood, what tehir customers want in AUto-ISO functionality I hope they implement it as a firmware for 5D III, 6D and 7D as well. :-)

Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO – In response to user feedback, this improved functionality in Auto ISO enables photographers to select a minimum shutter speed as high as 1/8000th of a second to freeze moving subjects.

Exposure Compensation in Auto ISO with Manual Mode Set – This new function enables photographers to manually set a desired shutter speed and aperture, use Auto ISO to control the exposure, and use Exposure Compensation to adjust the exposure for challenging lighting conditions (e.g., a very dark or very bright background). This new function can be activated through the Quick Control Dial or by using the Main Dial while pressing the SET button.

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
Given that the AF system is supposed to be the same as the 5D3, I wonder if we can expect a bumper update for that too?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
Also hoping for a tweaking of the 5D3 AF.

BTW, anybody else notice the 5DIII metering does seem to be influenced by the position of the AF point?  I know that this is a feature of the 1DX not documented as available on the 5DIII, but if they share the AF system...

Will run some tests shortly and start a thread if not just my imagination.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
Given that the AF system is supposed to be the same as the 5D3, I wonder if we can expect a bumper update for that too?

A similar upgrade to the 5D Mark III would be great, but there may be technical limitations we are not fully aware of.

"Developed as the ultimate Canon EOS camera, the EOS-1D X Digital SLR is designed with foresight that enables its performance to be periodically improved with new firmware upgrades, helping to ensure maximum long-term value for owners and users of the camera."

If there are options available in the 1D-series, which are not available as firmware upgrade options with the 5D-series we will not likely see similar updates. But let's not get our hopes down. Let's just hope for the best.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:43:28 AM by AmbientLight »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
Definitely a very sweet set of upgrades for my camera. I'm really looking forward to this becoming available!

I just don't get the increase in minimum shutter with auto iso. I have always set my shutter speed range in Av mode and using Auto-iso, that way I choose my aperture and my shutter never drops below what I choose, say 1/2000s, and auto-iso keeps my exposure correct, how is this different?

When you restrict the range of available shutter speeds, that applies in Av mode, Tv mode, M mode, etc.  This new setting will apply only in Av mode, with Auto ISO set.  If, like me, you have that shutter speed range restriction for fast action applied only to a C# setting, then this particular additional feature might not be of that great a benefit to you.

BTW, anybody else notice the 5DIII metering does seem to be influenced by the position of the AF point?  I know that this is a feature of the 1DX not documented as available on the 5DIII, but if they share the AF system...

In Evaluative metering mode, the metering is always weighted toward the selected AF point.  That's true on the 1D X, it's true on a Rebel/xxxD.

What the 1-series bodies have that lower bodies do not is Spot metering linked to the AF point.

A similar upgrade to the 5D Mark III would be great, but there may be technical limitations we are not fully aware of.

There may be technical limitations based on the more sophisticated metering system of the 1D X. It's also quite likely that there will be marketing limitations, that would preclude some or most of these features from trickling down, at least in the short term (possibly with a 5DIV).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon1dxman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
The best just got better...or it will in a few months!

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Very happy with Canon on these two:

Expanded Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO – In response to user feedback, this improved functionality in Auto ISO enables photographers to select a minimum shutter speed as high as 1/8000th of a second to freeze moving subjects.[/font]

I really hope this comes to the 5DIII, too, otherwise I might have to save up for a 1DX - this is huge for sports and wildlife shooters, and interestingly enough, about the only thing Scott Kelby has complained about during his recent switch to Canon.

Exposure Compensation in Auto ISO with Manual Mode Set – This new function enables photographers to manually set a desired shutter speed and aperture, use Auto ISO to control the exposure, and use Exposure Compensation to adjust the exposure for challenging lighting conditions (e.g., a very dark or very bright background). This new function can be activated through the Quick Control Dial or by using the Main Dial while pressing the SET button

We've been asking for this forever, so it's great to see it. 
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
Also hoping for a tweaking of the 5D3 AF.

The 1dx can link spot metering to any AF point unlike the 5d3. But you are correct, the evaluative metering is weighed to the AF point being used..

Kwanon

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
I hope none of these new functions make it to 5D III and 7D, 7D II.

Now there is an even bigger gap between PRO and advanced cameras.

(yes, even TIPA and EISA categorise the 5D III as an advanced camera)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
Neuro:

Thanks for clearing that up, I have often been a bit annoyed when going between flash and not and having to change the minimum shutter when switching to M for flash.

If I got this right that means I can use this new function to limit my shutter in the same way as before, and still have slower (1/250s sync) when going directly to M mode?

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
I hope none of these new functions make it to 5D III and 7D, 7D II.

Now there is an even bigger gap between PRO and advanced cameras.

(yes, even TIPA and EISA categorise the 5D III as an advanced camera)
Yes, having "pro" features in "advanced cameras" is such a horrible thing.  Obviously things like 12/14 FPS, pro body size, and other advanced features and thousands of dollars don't differentiate the two camera lines enough.

Maybe we shouldn't allow non L lenses to have USM, or while we're at it, how dare those Powershots have RAW or Manual mode. 

Let's save all the good stuff for "Pros"

:o
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »