December 22, 2014, 02:55:24 PM

Author Topic: Contest Announcement!  (Read 68985 times)

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Contest Announcement!
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
Note the order in which he's announced the finalists:
Astrophotography, 13 pages of entries; Underwater, 16 pages of entries were the first two, and so on.
And the 5 that are left?
Street, 75 pages; B+W, 82 pages; Wildlife, 109 pages; People, 134 pages; Landscape, 171 pages (coincidentally, almost all categories I didn't bother with, too much competition)

There's more entries in Landscape than in Astro, U/Water, C/Lighting, Macro, and Abstract all together (presuming they're all valid entries, of course).

I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »

chardinej

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
Did I miss the other category finalists??? There still seem to be a few to be announced.

Ryusui

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Did I miss the other category finalists??? There still seem to be a few to be announced.

Note the order in which he's announced the finalists:
Astrophotography, 13 pages of entries; Underwater, 16 pages of entries were the first two, and so on.
And the 5 that are left?
Street, 75 pages; B+W, 82 pages; Wildlife, 109 pages; People, 134 pages; Landscape, 171 pages (coincidentally, almost all categories I didn't bother with, too much competition)

There's more entries in Landscape than in Astro, U/Water, C/Lighting, Macro, and Abstract all together (presuming they're all valid entries, of course).

I think there's going to be a fair gap until we see the last of these finalists, it's an absolutely massive undertaking...

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
Bummed that I missed out, that fisheye had my name all over it!

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »

I wonder if CRGuy underestimated the magnitude of the undertaking when he started out?  :o
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

D_Rochat

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
I believe he already mentioned that he didn't expect the contest to take off like it did. When you start giving away L series glass, the people will come. I wonder if and when he plans on doing something like this again.... I look forward to the upcoming finalists.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »

I wonder if CRGuy underestimated the magnitude of the undertaking when he started out?  :o

I think thats a understatement, a truly monumental job, and then the whining of those who say theirs was better.

He certainly has earned any boost in referral income gained by the extra traffic to the site.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »

DCMoney

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 09:23:53 PM »

I think thats a understatement, a truly monumental job, and then the whining of those who say theirs was better.

He certainly has earned any boost in referral income gained by the extra traffic to the site.

Not going to lie it got me to sign up, was just a browser till this contest got going.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
I'm back to judging tomorrow, there has been a big thing going on with my other venture Lens Rentals Canada. I don't think I've slept in 72 hours as things get restructured and negotiated.

I may sleep tonight. :)

Thanks for the patience, kind words and criticisms.

cr
canonrumors.com

Mark1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:47 PM »
Personally even if I dont get a picture in the top ten I'll have still enjoyed the buzz of 'maybe'.

Like a lot of people I take lots of pictures which very few other people get to see let alone judge. Also having looked through the remaining categories I honestly can't see how one could pull out the best ten. The level is so consistently high throughout. There are some killer shots there which wont make the top ten for sure.

Thanks CR for the opportunity and thrill of the chase! 

onkel_wart

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2011, 12:21:46 AM »
Personally even if I dont get a picture in the top ten I'll have still enjoyed the buzz of 'maybe'.

Like a lot of people I take lots of pictures which very few other people get to see let alone judge. Also having looked through the remaining categories I honestly can't see how one could pull out the best ten. The level is so consistently high throughout. There are some killer shots there which wont make the top ten for sure.

Thanks CR for the opportunity and thrill of the chase!
very true.
I know I don't stand a chance having seen the finalists. But one needs to start some day...
great event.
thanks for all the work

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2011, 09:21:43 AM »
these finalists pictures are indeed very good, can't wait for the people and landscape categories! - its gonna be a massive headache to decide which ones to choose

unruled

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »
when are the other categories being announced? Been an odd silence lately

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »

jnachtigal

« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
I'll repeat what others have said:  I'm honored that my shot made it among the finalists, what an awesome group of photos!  Even if I don't make it to the next phase, I've thoroughly enjoyed the contest.  And my favorite part is seeing these amazing shots.

I will say one thing, I'm not thrilled at the 700 pixel size limit.  I kind of hate seeing some of these photos so small (especially my own), because I feel the details are lost.  In this competition, there is certainly an advantage to simple shots, with a clear/large subject.

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
when are the other categories being announced? Been an odd silence lately

I guess you missed this from yesterday (just 4 posts above yours):

I'm back to judging tomorrow, there has been a big thing going on with my other venture Lens Rentals Canada. I don't think I've slept in 72 hours as things get restructured and negotiated.

I may sleep tonight. :)

Thanks for the patience, kind words and criticisms.

cr
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »