September 16, 2014, 11:42:46 AM

Author Topic: Contest Announcement!  (Read 65776 times)

onkel_wart

Re: Contest Announcement!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Just to be sure
You may enter the contest as many times in as many categories as you’d like. Remember, one entry per post.
means I could post as many picture as I like?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
Wow, I just took a brief look-see at the various categories, and my eyes watered, hehe :o. Looks like Craig needs to give away more from his lens collection, haha. Maybe there should be a form of "loyalty" award and allow only forum members who registered before the contest started to participate, as I seem to see many new members just registering for this contest.  ???
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

DBaker

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
What constitutes a "view"?

I have seen some photos that have only been up a few minutes and have over 1000 views.  Of course this thing being world wide may make sense of the number of views, but when the photo is just a snapshot without any real interesting features get 1000+ views?  How are the views tabulated?

This is just curiosity.

notacoach

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
And are pets not 'wildlife'? I've seen a few in 'street' too. but as is always the case in competitions, fit the image to the subject, not the other way around...

Yes, pets = Wildlife (received a PM confirming this)

I've seen a few over 700pixels (think i accidentally did one myself too, forgot to click 'ok' on the scale image dialogue.

Can somebody clarify for me how to size them on this website (if there's a link with explanation, just point me to it).  I was linking to shots which are not 700px and there was no "scale image" dialog involved - I could resize them and re-upload, but if there's a simpler way, that would be great. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:57:32 PM by notacoach »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »
What constitutes a "view"?

I have seen some photos that have only been up a few minutes and have over 1000 views.  Of course this thing being world wide may make sense of the number of views, but when the photo is just a snapshot without any real interesting features get 1000+ views?  How are the views tabulated?

From what i've gathered by being here a while:
If the image is small enough to fit "inline", then every time the page loads for someone, somewhere, it gets counted as a 'view'.
If the image is too big to fit "inline" then a thumbnail is shown, and a link is put to the fullsized image. Only if someone clicks to look at the fullsized image does it count as a 'view'.
Check out the Wildlife comp thread for examples (it's the worst i've seen so far), some pages there's barely one image that's 700 pixels, and it has a few hundred views, then some that people have just uploaded at 2000 pixels or more wide, have less than 10 'views'.

I could resize them and re-upload

Yep, do that. Unless you can figure out how to make flickr etc resize them on the fly, it's gotta be a dedicated upload. I've been busy cropping and shrinking for all of mine (but they're not uploaded anywhere else yet).

Maybe there should be a form of "loyalty" award and allow only forum members who registered before the contest started to participate, as I seem to see many new members just registering for this contest.  ???

Same as the Holga comp, most people in that thread still only have a post or two to their name.
But (to be completely cynical), that's not the point. Check out the number of views on the images, some over 1000 times. Then realise that every time that image loads, the automatic CR-bot posts an ad or three on every page of every thread. That's a lot of ad views, I reckon minus the cost of the prize lenses, he's gonna make enough to keep this site going for quite a while...
(and another reason we can enter as many pics as we like. More work for him, sure, but more ad views too  :P )

Less competition would be nice, but what about someone who's been coming here for years without actually signing up to the forum?

I'm more interested to know what'll happen to all the >700 pixel shots, if they get a friendly warning, or just get chucked out of the judging before it starts (i've seen a 701-pixel shot, i'd hope it's not so harsh that it gets thrown out)?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Angie

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Just an add on:  NOT being a complete idjit when it comes to computers, internet, and software is a HUGE plus.  bwahahahah!!! They walk among us!!!  DOH, I gotta go and FIX ALL my posts now.  hahahah!!    :o  guilty as charged!!!  OI

Have been trying to figure out what 700px wide is and an example for the last day or so...ended up pulling up images and examples on the internet of its size and......DOH...F#$%!@!!*%^%!!!! Cr*p *sigh*  Idjit, when it comes to stuff like this, software, etc., very basic stuff can do but haven't quite learned it all yet....LOL   :-[  *sigh* But learn something new in this specific context every day!!

cheeseheadsaint

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
So if you have a black and white photo that fits in other categories, which do we put it in? does it matter? Is HDR okay?
Canon Rebel XSi, kit lens, 50mm f1.8, ef-s 55-250mm IS, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 6D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »

Orion

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:14 PM »
Wow, I just took a brief look-see at the various categories, and my eyes watered, hehe :o. Looks like Craig needs to give away more from his lens collection, haha. Maybe there should be a form of "loyalty" award and allow only forum members who registered before the contest started to participate, as I seem to see many new members just registering for this contest.  ???

. . . maybe new members of the forum, but long time followers of "Canon Rumors." Should we start judging!? ;)

Angie

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »

. . . maybe new members of the forum, but long time followers of "Canon Rumors." Should we start judging!? ;)

Bingo....don't post on forums EVER but browse them a lot and most active on Facebook and follower there as well.

EyesOnly

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 12:18:24 AM »
This contest is awesome. I've never seen that many really good pictures in one place before. It's gonna be such a hard time for Craig to pick the best ones.  :D

Natash3236

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:49 AM »
What if you upload your photo and the colors come out really dull compared to the real image? :(

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 03:03:19 AM »
What if you upload your photo and the colors come out really dull compared to the real image? :(
Colours change between your imaging system viewing it on your browser? Or colours changing between your computer and the judges'?
I know IE <9 doesn't have colour profiling support, so colours may change between your imaging program and browser using that.
And if you're not using a calibrated monitor and ICC profiled workflow, then there's no guarantee that anything you see on your own screen will look the same on any other screen in the world.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about, start by googling "colour management", "ICC profiles", "sRGB vs AdobeRGB" or similar, also try starting here or here.

Still, my limited experience with photo comps is that subject, composition, lighting, etc, are more important than exact colours...
Gear Photos

AlfaMads

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 03:28:50 AM »
Am I the only one who iss going to stick to the rules about amount of pictures?
It is very clearly stated that one can only post one picture in every category!
Hope that the judges take this into consideration when ruling out the best of the best. Otherwise the odds for all those faithful to the rules will suffer from "underexposure" :-\

/Mads

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 03:28:50 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
You may enter the contest as many times in as many categories as you’d like. Remember, one entry per post.

That means as many entries in as many categories as many times as you want = infinite number of posts (if you so desire).
What it actually means is only one picture per 'reply' (which i've seen broken enough times anyway), so there's only 15 images per page for faster load times and to keep it nicely sorted.
Gear Photos

Natash3236

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »
Colours change between your imaging system viewing it on your browser? Or colours changing between your computer and the judges'?
I know IE <9 doesn't have colour profiling support, so colours may change between your imaging program and browser using that.
And if you're not using a calibrated monitor and ICC profiled workflow, then there's no guarantee that anything you see on your own screen will look the same on any other screen in the world.

If you have no idea what i'm talking about, start by googling "colour management", "ICC profiles", "sRGB vs AdobeRGB" or similar, also try starting here or here.

Still, my limited experience with photo comps is that subject, composition, lighting, etc, are more important than exact colours...

I edited my image and uploaded it to the forum from the same computer. This is the first time the colors have come out noticeably different from my original image onto a website upload. Kind of weird.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »