June 20, 2018, 03:58:18 AM

Author Topic: Old lenses - really so bad?  (Read 15541 times)

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Old lenses - really so bad?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
If you want to do video, you might want a newer lens for video (keep the others), but IS STM type (cheap). Maybe. Just use your current lenses. Trade up only if you see specific characteristics that could be improved on in a new model. Pay more attention to your eyes than to the salesman.

FWIW, I am still using, via adapters, several old all manual lenses from the 1960s and 1970s on the 6D. Yes, the new Sigma 50 1.4 Art will beat the pants off the AIS Nikkor 50 f/1.2 wide open - but if what I want is landscape at f/5.6, the Nikkor is just fine and is over a pound lighter. Also, that (Nikkor, and every other f/1.2 or f/1.4 1970s 50-60mm lens)  classic double Gauss design spherical aberration wide open can be fun to use for effect sometimes - the hazy romantic look.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

AE1Pguy

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »
No, those older lenses are absolutely worthless. If you send them to me, I will dispose of them properly.

Aichbus

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
So true! My 2.8/300L, 4/500L and 2/135L are the worst lenses in my gear!

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
If you are the type of guy who always shoots in good light, or always uses a tripod, you do not need to upgrade.

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
They said, that the 70D requires an IS Lens, the 70-200 II or the 24-70 2.8 II (no IS). Is this true?

Where I come from, this is called a lie.  No camera requires an IS lens.

I am surprised that someone working in a photo shop would say something that is so dishonest - even if they hoped to sell you a newer lens.

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »
Use your current camera and one of your current lenses to snap a picture of this salesman for us. 

People get told garbage like this from salesman every day, especially car salesmen, service "advisors," interior decorators, roofers, landscapers, AC "techs," and on and on.  It's one of the reasons capitalism is so popular!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »
They said, that the 70D requires an IS Lens, the 70-200 II or the 24-70 2.8 II (no IS). Is this true?

I am surprised that someone working in a photo shop would say something that is so dishonest - even if they hoped to sell you a newer lens.
Darn!
I thought it was magic that my 35 year old 500mm Olympus mount vivitar mirror lens with an EOS adaptor worked on a Canon body......

The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »

Joe M

• EOS M5
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:07 AM »

Darn!
I thought it was magic that my 35 year old 500mm Olympus mount vivitar mirror lens with an EOS adaptor worked on a Canon body......
Don...you have a mirror lens?  I remember those from that far back too.  I had always thought of getting one but never did.  I had always thought the doughnut oof highlights was the coolest (depending upon the subject of course). 
And to the OP, what else can I say except to parrot everyone else and say enjoy your lenses that you have and the salesguy can go on your "ignore" list the next time you need help or advice.

apacheebest

• EOS Rebel SL2
  • More Than Words
    • Anil George
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »
Hi Dan,

What type of Photography you are into? are you making a Living out of your Gears by shooting weddings and events ?

Well your old lenses are just fine, but the new lens are better with sharp around the corners and also less Weight.  The new Lens acquiring syndrome is just a G A S ( Gadget Acquiring Syndrome) which does come up in every one life specially when your wallet is full.

In India, the Wedding Photographers have the Latest gears and they charge their clients and make a Living out of this so they get their money back in some way or the other. Specially the clients look at what Gears and Lens you have with you, when they give you some work.

Do not buy any new Lenses in haste unless you have some extra money or getting a real deal on a Used Like New one which is another option, but the people who have these new lens are not selling them in the first case.
Buying a New IS Lens from the Shop is not the right solution for your presently when you have your Good Old and working Lenses.

If you really want to buy the IS Lenses buy a used one ( 2nd Sale) which have the IS feature.

Hope this feedback helps you in some way to solve your GAS :)

Have a Good day.

Anil George

Canon Gear 5D Mark III,Lens : 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM, 16-35mm f/4 IS USM,Extender 2x III, Elinchrom 400 FXR, Speedlite 600 EX- RT,Continous Lights, Backdrops etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »