July 31, 2014, 01:02:35 AM

Author Topic: New To canon  (Read 1497 times)

forever

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
New To canon
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
Whats going on guys!

I'm moving to the dark side.... and ditching my Nikon.

Anyways, I'm going to pick up a 5D Mark iii here in a couple days and I'm wondering a few things you guys may be able to help me out with.

My main Subjects: (Still Life, Models, Cars, Families)

- What lens would be a good lens for general use right now? I'm debating between the 24-70 or the 24-105. I have to much invested in glass with my nikon to spend money on more than one lens right now. I have noticed "L" series mentioned, and I have also noticed there are quite a few dfferen't priced 24-70's.

- What flash should I go with? Do I need a transmitter for the flash?

- What is a quality battery grip?

I appreciate your help!

canon rumors FORUM

New To canon
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: New To canon
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »

What model of Nikon were you using, and what zoom ranges did you find yourself regularly using for photos on that platform?

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
Welcome FROM the dark side.

The 24-70 2.8 II is one of the best lenses you will find in this range.    The 24-105 is also an very nice L lens with more reach, but doesn't have the same iq- still a great lens for what you want.  Now is a good time to look for sales on bodies and lenses.

Regarding Flashes, the 600-EX-RT is top of the line and is wireless as slave and master in wireless and optical.  If you are interested in off camera flash you can buy two of these, or one of these and the transmitter ST-E3-R3 which work great together.  Alternatively, I believe you can also use the 600-Ex-RT as a master and a 430 EXII as an optical slave.

If you just need worthy, less than top of the line flashes, the rest of the flashes 430 EXII and lower are fine.

You don't need a transmitter or second flash unless you have off camera or specific needs for them

I tried a Pixel grip for mine, but had no luck. 

Welcome to our side.

sek

sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
Light is more important than cameras or lenses... if you decide you need a flash, go for the 600.. you won't regret it!
The best camera is the one in your hands

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »
Welcome to CR! I'd recommend one of the f/2.8 24-70s. Either the Canon v2 or the Tamron. After you unload some of your Nikon glass, you can pick up a 70-200. Either the 70-200 f/2.8L ll or the 70-200 f/4L IS. The 600EX RT is the best flash, but a used 580EXll is pretty much the same thing without the built in radio. A pair of Yongnuo 622C transceivers will get you effective off camera flash with focus assist for cheap. Around $70 on ebay. As for the grip, I have an OEM one for my 7D and it works perfectly, though I hardly ever use it.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:23:29 PM »
Whats going on guys!

Anyways, I'm going to pick up a 5D Mark iii here in a couple days and I'm wondering a few things you guys may be able to help me out with.

- What lens would be a good lens for general use right now? I'm debating between the 24-70 or the 24-105. I have to much invested in glass with my nikon to spend money on more than one lens right now. I have noticed "L" series mentioned, and I have also noticed there are quite a few dfferen't priced 24-70's.

I appreciate your help!

Still Life, Models, Cars, Families?  If you're not going to use a large aperture prime lens or shoot sports, 6D might be a better choice.  You can spend your money on lenses and lighting instead.  Well, that's just me.  It's still up to you.  For flashes, it's all up to you if you want TTL or manual strobist style.  If you want cheap, you can go for Yongnuo flashes and transceivers.  They've got both TTL and manual.  If you have lots of money, Canon will be a better choice.  A 580 and/or 600 would suffice.  I'm using YN manual flashes and transceivers.  They're very easy to use.  I want Canon flashes but I went for YN purely because I can't afford it.  I'm using 560II and 560III (with built-in RF603) and some YN RF603 triggers.

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »
1. if you can get the 24-70mm ii for equal to the price offered few day ago, i would say pick 24-70mm.  otherwise, 24-105mm is pretty cheap right now for its quality.
2. if you can wait, then you will have more choices when YN-600EX released.  otherwise, either 420ex ii or canon 600ex (since 580ex ii used price is kinda high.  i would prefer 580ex or above due to its 360 degree head rotation)
3. i do not use grip since i do not like it (if i want one, i would buy 1dx.  i have told that combination of 5d mark iii and its oem grip is heavier than 1dx.)

note:  both nikon and canon produce great quality images as long as you use them right, not because of the camera... switching back and forth will hurt our pocket a lot  :P  below is the image of my daughter that i captured few minutes ago in my room with canon 5d mark iii and 24-105mm at f/4.  it was shot with available light so the sharpness can be judge since no flash involved (her face partially lit by the notebook lcd)..

lens vignetting was added during post as if you wonder and yes, this lens has a little bit of vignetting.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:45:25 AM by ishdakuteb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »

forever

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:36 PM »

What model of Nikon were you using, and what zoom ranges did you find yourself regularly using for photos on that platform?

D80. I used my prime 50mm and a 18-105mm.

The 24-70 2.8 II is one of the best lenses you will find in this range.    The 24-105 is also an very nice L lens with more reach, but doesn't have the same iq- still a great lens for what you want.  Now is a good time to look for sales on bodies and lenses.

Regarding Flashes, the 600-EX-RT is top of the line and is wireless as slave and master in wireless and optical.  If you are interested in off camera flash you can buy two of these, or one of these and the transmitter ST-E3-R3 which work great together.  Alternatively, I believe you can also use the 600-Ex-RT as a master and a 430 EXII as an optical slave.

If you just need worthy, less than top of the line flashes, the rest of the flashes 430 EXII and lower are fine.

You don't need a transmitter or second flash unless you have off camera or specific needs for them

Welcome to our side.

sek

Looks like I will be buying a 600 flash. I definitely want a slave and a master. So 2 flashes. So should I buy 2 600's?

Light is more important than cameras or lenses... if you decide you need a flash, go for the 600.. you won't regret it!

I understand that. As far as studio lighting goes, I'm still collecting. But, I have enough I'm happy with.

Welcome to CR! I'd recommend one of the f/2.8 24-70s. Either the Canon v2 or the Tamron. After you unload some of your Nikon glass, you can pick up a 70-200. Either the 70-200 f/2.8L ll or the 70-200 f/4L IS. The 600EX RT is the best flash, but a used 580EXll is pretty much the same thing without the built in radio. A pair of Yongnuo 622C transceivers will get you effective off camera flash with focus assist for cheap. Around $70 on ebay. As for the grip, I have an OEM one for my 7D and it works perfectly, though I hardly ever use it.

Thanks for you help, I think I will be using the OEM one. Also, the 70-200 is a little much for me right now. I think I'd rather spend that money on a 55mm or 85mm or a 14-??mm

Whats going on guys!

I appreciate your help!

Still Life, Models, Cars, Families?  If you're not going to use a large aperture prime lens or shoot sports, 6D might be a better choice.  You can spend your money on lenses and lighting instead.  Well, that's just me.  It's still up to you.  For flashes, it's all up to you if you want TTL or manual strobist style.  If you want cheap, you can go for Yongnuo flashes and transceivers.  They've got both TTL and manual.  If you have lots of money, Canon will be a better choice.  A 580 and/or 600 would suffice.  I'm using YN manual flashes and transceivers.  They're very easy to use.  I want Canon flashes but I went for YN purely because I can't afford it.  I'm using 560II and 560III (with built-in RF603) and some YN RF603 triggers.

I'm really all over the place with photography, so I'm going to stick with the 5D so I do not ever have to upgrade for sports, etc..

I definitely don't want to go cheap on flashes. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a TTL or manual strobist?

1. if you can get the 24-70mm ii for equal to the price offered few day ago, i would say pick 24-70mm.  otherwise, 24-105mm is pretty cheap right now for its quality.
2. if you can wait, then you will have more choices when YN-600EX released.  otherwise, either 420ex ii or canon 600ex (since 580ex ii used price is kinda high.  i would prefer 580ex or above due to its 360 degree head rotation)
3. i do not use grip since i do not like it (if i want one, i would buy 1dx.  i have told that combination of 5d mark iii and its oem grip is heavier than 1dx.)

note:  both nikon and canon produce great quality images as long as you use them right, not because of the camera... switching back and forth will hurt our pocket a lot  :P  below is the image of my daughter that i captured few minutes ago in my room with canon 5d mark iii and 24-105mm at f/4.  it was shot with available light so the sharpness can be judge since no flash involved (her face partially lit by the notebook lcd)..

lens vignetting was added during post as if you wonder and yes, this lens has a little bit of vignetting.

When does that YN-600EX get released?

I definitely do not think Canon is going to produce better images or vice versa. But I'm ready to upgrade to a full frame camera and use my D80 as a back up. So it's not really "switching". I think I will be happier with the Canon. It just felt right in my hands.

So I could use more help guys, I think I'm going primes, or some wide lenses. What about 55mm's, 85mm's, 14-??'s? I was talking to a lot of people and they said there is distortion with the 24-70mm. I used my 55mm the most on my D80.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on all of this.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »

D80. I used my prime 50mm and a 18-105mm.

Welcome to our side.

sek

Looks like I will be buying a 600 flash. I definitely want a slave and a master. So 2 flashes. So should I buy 2 600's?

I understand that. As far as studio lighting goes, I'm still collecting. But, I have enough I'm happy with.

Thanks for you help, I think I will be using the OEM one. Also, the 70-200 is a little much for me right now. I think I'd rather spend that money on a 55mm or 85mm or a 14-??mm

Whats going on guys!

I appreciate your help!

I'm really all over the place with photography, so I'm going to stick with the 5D so I do not ever have to upgrade for sports, etc..

I definitely don't want to go cheap on flashes. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a TTL or manual strobist?

When does that YN-600EX get released?

I definitely do not think Canon is going to produce better images or vice versa. But I'm ready to upgrade to a full frame camera and use my D80 as a back up. So it's not really "switching". I think I will be happier with the Canon. It just felt right in my hands.

So I could use more help guys, I think I'm going primes, or some wide lenses. What about 55mm's, 85mm's, 14-??'s? I was talking to a lot of people and they said there is distortion with the 24-70mm. I used my 55mm the most on my D80.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on all of this.

E-TTL (Canon) is simply the automatic way of determining flash exposure while manual strobist style is just as it say, manual setting of flash strength and exposure.  More information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_flash_system

As to why I've also written about manual strobist style, you may read on from here.  It depends if you want to go on-depth more on flash photography or not.  The site below can also suggest some good, cheap third party flashes.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

The reason I've suggested you to consider 6D instead of a 5D3 is that with 6D, if you don't really need the AF of 5D3, you can buy almost an additional L-grade lens already.  Since you were just starting, you might want more lenses at your disposal as lens is much more important than the body you are using.  E.g., getting a 6D or a 5D3 might be a difference between getting a 17-40L and not.  An additional 85mm F1.8 lens (if you don't have the money to buy an 85 F1.2L) will also be a nice addition to your lenses.  Personally, I'd say your lens lineup will be more critical to your photography than a camera body.  If you think you can cover all the cost, then by all means go for the best camera body but for practicality sake and for limited budget, my suggestion still stands.  Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:53:27 PM by verysimplejason »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:50:45 AM »
1. i am not sure when it is going to be released, but there is a rumor about that, including rt wireless trigger... and my best guess is that this is an e-ttl flash, not manual
2. i would prefer both e-ttl flash and manual flash (depend on situation, further explanation will be shown with below image.  you can get a yn-560ex ii for manual flash for cheap price.  i bought these two for $55/each at local camera show).
3. as verysimplejason already said,  85mm f/1.8 is pretty good for portrait.  i am using 50mm on my crop frame and i am pretty happy with it, yet i am kinda lazy in changing lens (note:  as i have mention in this forum before that 50mm f/1.4 is pretty good even as wide open.  i am not hesitate to shoot at f/1.4 as if i am in need of it.  the way i see it, it is tack sharp at f/3.2)

here is one of those times/reasons that i am using e-ttl, shooting candid image of my daughter with my neighbor (below image was shot with 30d, 50mm f/1.4, 430ex ii and a circular linear filter.  this image is linked from facebook since i shot couple months ago.)

here are other images of my younger daughter, shot with 30d, 50mm f/1.4 in my room (note:  available light, first one at f/1.8, second one at 2.2.  much of light from second image was from the smart phone since she headed down.  i just snapped these two.)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:06:28 AM by ishdakuteb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:50:45 AM »