October 20, 2014, 07:58:24 AM

Author Topic: What's Next for Canon?  (Read 25182 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
Re: What's Next for Canon?
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
If it worked really well then I would not mention this, but I see tons of complaints from 6D owners about the AF.

shooting what?
BIF, motocross?

then they bought the wrong camera.

i see your point and i agree from a customers point of view.
how could i not.. the more i get for my money the better.

a 7D like AF would be nice to have in the 6D, no question.

but from canons point of view it makes absolut sense.
i had not bought a second 5D MK3 as backup body if the 6D had a 7D like AF.

is the D600 AF performance much better? from all i have seen, not really.

I've not used a 6D but own a 5Diii and have owned a 7D. Just to be clear, we are not calling the 7D AF system good, are we?

???

well the 7D AF is pretty good. and that seems to be the common opinion:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8576.0

what are you shooting and what are your complains exactly?

of course the 5D MK3 AF is better but then... the camera cost twice as much.
and if you need the best low light AF performance the 5D MK3 or 1D X is sure the way to go.

but does that make the 7D AF bad? i don´t think so.

and a great deal of 5D MK3 customers, who are not professionals, are totally confused by the 5D MK3 AF. so i bet they use only 25% of it´s potential. :)

you would call the 7D AF bad?

+1 the AF on the 7D totally rocks. I read some stuff about how to tune the AF Servo using C-fn etc to get more out of it. Also, combined with bbf it can be very effective. One thing I will say is the hit rate could be better, but thats what 8fps is for!  :P

For most people 19 cross point AF is enough and for smaller subjects the smaller spot AF mode works well.

Even my 5D2 with its lame AF does OK. Then again I don't shoot BIF or super shallow dof stuff so I guess it depends.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2013, 05:20:16 AM »
Hi Folks
I do try to photograph BIF with my 7D, I say try as I don't go and sit and wait so my technique is already flawed! What I do is stop and take pics when I see birds of prey, my favoured targets.

What I will do though is go to the local seafront regularly and practice, I have hundreds of clicks accounted for by pics of seagulls!
I also attend the Goodwood Revival and first thing I do on arrival is practice on a race I'm not too worried about until my "rusty from last year" technique is refreshed. By doing this I find I get what to me is an acceptable keeper rate.

I think the 7D AF rocks too, I am prepared to admit that the missed and crap shots are me not the camera!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Graham.

+1 the AF on the 7D totally rocks. I read some stuff about how to tune the AF Servo using C-fn etc to get more out of it. Also, combined with bbf it can be very effective. One thing I will say is the hit rate could be better, but thats what 8fps is for!  :P

For most people 19 cross point AF is enough and for smaller subjects the smaller spot AF mode works well.

Even my 5D2 with its lame AF does OK. Then again I don't shoot BIF or super shallow dof stuff so I guess it depends.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:10 AM »
Compared to my 5Diii, my in focus shots of action (SEC college football specifically) are far less than my 5Diii with same lens setup. That is the day issue. At night I won't even start a comparison because the 7D is at a distinct disadvantage.

I do like the 7D for many reasons, FPS is one biggie, and the latest rumors of the 7Dii sound awesome (hoping for full sensor), but I find the AF on the 7D lacking for my purposes.

If it worked really well then I would not mention this, but I see tons of complaints from 6D owners about the AF.

shooting what?
BIF, motocross?

then they bought the wrong camera.

i see your point and i agree from a customers point of view.
how could i not.. the more i get for my money the better.

a 7D like AF would be nice to have in the 6D, no question.

but from canons point of view it makes absolut sense.
i had not bought a second 5D MK3 as backup body if the 6D had a 7D like AF.

is the D600 AF performance much better? from all i have seen, not really.

I've not used a 6D but own a 5Diii and have owned a 7D. Just to be clear, we are not calling the 7D AF system good, are we?

???

well the 7D AF is pretty good. and that seems to be the common opinion:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8576.0

what are you shooting and what are your complains exactly?

of course the 5D MK3 AF is better but then... the camera cost twice as much.
and if you need the best low light AF performance the 5D MK3 or 1D X is sure the way to go.

but does that make the 7D AF bad? i don´t think so.

and a great deal of 5D MK3 customers, who are not professionals, are totally confused by the 5D MK3 AF. so i bet they use only 25% of it´s potential. :)

you would call the 7D AF bad?
1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
Compared to my 5Diii, my in focus shots of action (SEC college football specifically) are far less than my 5Diii with same lens setup. That is the day issue. At night I won't even start a comparison because the 7D is at a distinct disadvantage.

I do like the 7D for many reasons, FPS is one biggie, and the latest rumors of the 7Dii sound awesome (hoping for full sensor), but I find the AF on the 7D lacking for my purposes.

The AF of the 7D is pretty good ... but once you are spoil yourself with the AF of the 5D3 / 1DX, all of a sudden the AF of the 7D doesn't seem good enough  ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »