April 23, 2014, 07:31:13 AM

Author Topic: Honeycomb Grid  (Read 1539 times)

mbworldz

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Honeycomb Grid
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
Have anyone try the Rogue 3-in-1 Honeycomb Grid ?  I am using the 600EX RT,  but it spread quite wide open, trying to create a spot light effect. 

The LOWEL GL-1 POWER LED but seems little over priced and battery don't last long.   

canon rumors FORUM

Honeycomb Grid
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »

surapon

• 1D X
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
Re: Honeycomb Grid
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
Yes, Dear Mr. Mbworldz
I use this great Rogue 3 in 1 Honeycomb Grids for Hairlight and Side Spot light for portrait photos  all most a year now, And I love this Awesome Rogue.
Yes, You need to know the Ability of this Add on Flash Equipment, Plus Learn to use at the best of their ability, And You will love them.
Here Photo SS-2, I put the Flash with ROGUE GRID 3-1 at the back of model At 8-9 feet high, and get the best Hair Light.  And The Photo Z-G  , I  Use Rouge  at the Side of the model too.
Good luck
Surapon

http://www.amazon.com/Rogue-ROGUEGRID-Stacking-Honeycomb-Shoe-Mount/dp/B004TGZ7WM
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:13:40 PM by surapon »

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:18:42 AM »
sometimes you have to DIY
this one I made is using Stofen bounce... honeycomb grid material and housing is a yogurt container.
it creates a tight spot with a mildly diffused but defined edge.

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »
addl images of DIY snoot grid for EX600

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
Brad,
Were you able to find somewhere the gridded material alone in a bulk/bigger size? Will you share that source if so? Would love to have access to some of this stuff in about a 9" width.

surapon

• 1D X
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
sometimes you have to DIY
this one I made is using Stofen bounce... honeycomb grid material and housing is a yogurt container.
it creates a tight spot with a mildly diffused but defined edge.
\
Wow, Wow, Wow-----Great Idea, Mr. Brad.
I love your DIY.
Surapon

Brand B

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
Brad,
Were you able to find somewhere the gridded material alone in a bulk/bigger size? Will you share that source if so? Would love to have access to some of this stuff in about a 9" width.

There are people selling square foot sheets of it on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/aluminum-honeycomb

Alternatively, find an industrial metal supply place in your city and they are likely to have some, maybe already anodized black so you don't need to coat it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »

brad goda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
I got the honeycomb material from a friend who purchased it from an aircraft recycle co. somewhere... I received large sheets for softbox and some very thick pieces (2") for small grids...
My first version of this snoot I cut out the front of the stofen diffuser leaving only a thin strip in the middle to support it so it dosnt crush... and the grid was placed right up the the opening of the snoot (yogurt container).  the output was a higher but the pattern was harder and it didnt control the edge to my liking... adding a sheet of opal diffusion internally helped.
the new 600 version I left the stofen intact and positioned the grid ontop of it...  the little 2" distance of the exit of the snoot gives just enough control to keep the pattern tight.
Here is an example of it in use just above the drink...8"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »