September 19, 2014, 06:15:58 AM

Author Topic: High Megapixel DLSR a niche market?  (Read 7618 times)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: High Megapixel DLSR a niche market?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »

...high megapixel DLSRs was a "niche" market.

Of course it is a niche market. About the only group of professionals remaining today that constitutes a market of any size are portrait, wedding and event photographers. That's a grueling, highly competitive business with a high failure rate and a high rate of turnover. Canon initially priced the 5DIII at a premium for that market because they were confident that the value added by the camera as a competitive tool would prompt these photographers to buy it. From the sales figures, it's obvious they were right.

? Almost every current-production Nikon dslr contains a sensor with more pixels than a 5DIII, starting with their inexpensive entry-level D3200.  High megapixel cameras aren't a niche market as far as Nikon is concerned. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
i have bought the trey ratcliff new zealand tutorial.

on that are original files from the D800.

i honestly don´t know what the fuss is about.
when i look at the original NEF files included i see nothing that is breathtaking.

all images he has on that DVD don´t show a better image quality then a 5D MK3 or 6D.
the borders look mushy.
and i guess the MP are wasted because his lenses can not resolve.

i can hardly see any more details in his images then i see in 5D MK3 images.

his images are not bad, thats not what im saying.
i am just saying that, looking at the images from acknowledged and prominent pro, i see nothing that makes me wish to have a D800 over a 5D MK3.

this is just useless talk. 36 MP or 22 MP will not make a big difference in most cases... not even at 1:1.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:23:12 PM by Lichtgestalt »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »
somebody from canon usa..... well you can stop reading after that.
no official statement, probably a guy doing callcenter work.

you know how tight canon is about R&D  "some guy" in the USA sure knows nothing.

but hey.. good opportunity to complain about canon and tell everyone you preordered camera XY because canon does not what you want them to do.   ;D

And the call centers are often in India.  I'm sure that someone in India really cares if you buy a sony.  They work for Sony as well.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:40 AM »
Then it is nothing more to discuss from my point of view

Indeed there isn't, not if you simply ignore what the thread is about: high mp, not dr or base iso performance.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 06:55:51 AM »
i have bought the trey ratcliff new zealand tutorial.

on that are original files from the D800.

i honestly don´t know what the fuss is about.
when i look at the original NEF files included i see nothing that is breathtaking.

all images he has on that DVD don´t show a better image quality then a 5D MK3 or 6D.
the borders look mushy.
and i guess the MP are wasted because his lenses can not resolve.

i can hardly see any more details in his images then i see in 5D MK3 images.

his images are not bad, thats not what im saying.
i am just saying that, looking at the images from acknowledged and prominent pro, i see nothing that makes me wish to have a D800 over a 5D MK3.

this is just useless talk. 36 MP or 22 MP will not make a big difference in most cases... not even at 1:1.

It takes a lot of energy to explain away the benefits of Nikon / Sony's 36Mp resolution with a wide dynamic range.

well from what you guys make of the sony sensor.. IT SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BY LOOKING AT IMAGES... not?   ;D

when you have to explain the benefits of the sony sensor .. they can´t be worth much to someone who is interested in photograpyh... and not gear talk.   ;D

It's very easy to see the benefits of a sensor that has higher resolution, wider dynamic range, better color resolution, transitions. if you know where to look for.

ah, so now im just not able to see it because i lack the technical skills.

well im doing photography for more then two decades and im a MF user too.
what books should i read to get it?  8)

i don´t speak about shadow banding or DR.
above i speak mostly about MEGAPIXELS.
megapixel that´s what this thread is about and something a lot of you guys here are obsessed with.

im absolutely for better DR!
and even more for cleaner shadows that can be pushed even further.

it´s just not that the D800 makes such a big difference as some people wants us to believe.

Can I have please  at least 56MP from Canon with S/N value= 14,4 stop DR at base iso and better color resolution

well get my phase one or a hassi when you need that.  :P
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:16:56 AM by Lichtgestalt »

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
Almost every current-production Nikon dslr contains a sensor with more pixels than a 5DIII, starting with their inexpensive entry-level D3200.  High megapixel cameras aren't a niche market as far as Nikon is concerned.

The whole discussion is for the want of an extra 2MP (which is <10%) advantage cameras like the Nikon D3200 have over the 5Dmk3? Gee...

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
Almost every current-production Nikon dslr contains a sensor with more pixels than a 5DIII, starting with their inexpensive entry-level D3200.  High megapixel cameras aren't a niche market as far as Nikon is concerned.

The whole discussion is for the want of an extra 2MP (which is <10%) advantage cameras like the Nikon D3200 have over the 5Dmk3? Gee...

and that is a 10% advantage in pixel number... not even resolution!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
I don't quite understand why I continually allow myself to read these threads when I'm on the can only to find more minutiae regarding how horrible canon's sensors and bodies are. Yes, there has been little innovation with regard to sensor tech at canon in recent memory. And yes, I too am curious about the 36.3 mp sensor and all the DR goodness people speak of. But for those that keep threatening to leave.....

The only request I'd like to make is just go already. Make some awesome images that show just how inferior canon's tech is and convince me to switch as well. But thus far, no seems to be willing to do it as much as they are spouting off about it. I would love nothing more than to see some amazing images out of the Sony/Nikon sensor because I would then have something definitive to show me that current users of that sensor are able to do empirically perceptible things that I myself cannot with my canon rig.

As it stands, I have yet to see images that evoke a feeling of "wow, I wish I could accomplish that shot with my rig" or "wow, that image definitely exhibits qualities of a much higher quality sensor than mine."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:49:50 AM by JohnDizzo15 »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
I don't quite understand why I continually allow myself to read these threads

i ask myself why i frequent these gear focused websites at all.
most discussions circle around the same lame topics or "what shall i do" questions.

still i come back....  :D

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »

Beats me - I don't think anyone in this rather odd discussion has defined what "high megapixel" means.  I was merely responding to someone who asserted that that high mp is a niche market and gave as an example the 5DIII.  (I mentioned the D3200, not because I think it has any advantages over the 5DIII but because whatever else it is, it surely isn't a niche market - unless "people who buy Nikon's cheapest dslr" qualify....)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

most discussions circle around the same lame topics or "what shall i do" questions.

I suppose we are in the same boat. :D

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
When we judge sharpness of a digital image, we immediately go to 100% and see what an image looks like.  I can with absolute certainty, that a large number of shooters who think they have great glass and shooting technique will not have a great experience.  The D800/D800e demands the most of both glass and shooter to get a 'sharp' image, so to go to a higher resolution without having answers, you're asking for upset customers.  This is the reason I think there is rumors around a Canon MF - that to push the resolution that high, and to put a 20 year old EF lens in front of it, it's most likely going to suck.  Element slightly out of alignment - it's going to show.

I love MF - Phase One certified, and have a H4D-50.  I would prefer that Canon do a retro styled high megapixel / high DR fixed lens as a starter, since they can control all pieces in one package - ala x100s.  Once they can show the world how amazing it looks they can put the same sensor into a DSLR, be it 35mm or MF.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »
The D800/D800e demands the most of both glass and shooter to get a 'sharp' image, [...]

No more or less than getting a sharp image with a 16mp crop camera and an FF lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:38 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »

And yet some have the nerve to claim that "its not the equipment, its the photographer!"  LoL  How many threads are on this forum that address technique as compared to the number of threads about gear?  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »

And yet some have the nerve to claim that "its not the equipment, its the photographer!"  LoL  How many threads are on this forum that address technique as compared to the number of threads about gear?  :)

Curiously I do really like reading about photographic techniques. I believe that this is the area, where we can learn most from others. What's to learn about owning a 1D-X? You either have the money or you don't.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 04:04:20 PM »