July 30, 2014, 09:33:50 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 35147 times)

garyknrd

• Rebel T5i
  • Birding
    • View Profile
    • Bird photography
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »
I will pass at this point. To little to late. I moved on.
Live between Thailand and Texas, USA

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2013, 07:16:45 AM »
I really liked the 7D, it's a fantastic camera for it's day except for the very poor quality sensor. It was noisy at low ISO's and it lacked the micro contrast and sharpness of it's full frame brothers of the similar era. Every other part of the camera was excellent. It's handling and UI were a big step forwards for Canon. Certainly better than the XXD which pre-dated it. If there wasn't a 7D then I doubt the 5DIII or 1DX would have been quite as stunning.

I'll probably get one to accompany my 5DIII's and offer me that extra reach which a 1.6x crop does so well. Pop a 400mm f2.8 on it and it's a very useful 650mm.

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »
I really liked the 7D, it's a fantastic camera for it's day except for the very poor quality sensor. It was noisy at low ISO's and it lacked the micro contrast and sharpness of it's full frame brothers of the similar era. Every other part of the camera was excellent. It's handling and UI were a big step forwards for Canon. Certainly better than the XXD which pre-dated it. If there wasn't a 7D then I doubt the 5DIII or 1DX would have been quite as stunning.

Except that I would use present tense (the 7D still has a slightly crappy sensor but is a very capable camera in every other respect) I agree wholeheartedly!
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
There are three different prototypes out for testing with two different sensors. One prototype don´t have WIFI and GPS in it.

Go on,  give us a clue as to what the two differnt sensors are!  :)  Is that in terms of MP or APS-C/FF or both or something completely different?

Looking at the 7D and comparing it to the top Canon's of 2009 (1D IV, 1DS II, 5DII, 50D) my money would be on a 24MP sensor as a minimum.  Yes, the low light side of things needs to be improved, my 5D (original) is leagues ahead at ISO 1600, so my guess would be realistically an IQ similar to that of a 1Ds II or (hopefully) a 5D II.

As a slight curve ball, APS-H anyone?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:47:10 AM by TrabimanUK »
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

SPL

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »

I'll probably get one to accompany my 5DIII's and offer me that extra reach which a 1.6x crop does so well. Pop a 400mm f2.8 on it and it's a very useful 650mm.
+1
I liked the 7D also, except for that sensor...

pvk

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
I own both a 7D and the 5DIII. The results of the 5DIII are generally so much better, in terms of focus accuracy, color, dynamics and ISO (in RAW). The 7D is hard pressed going above 400 ISO for bird photograpy. With the 5DIII you can take photo's at 1600 ISO without problems, or even higher depending on the circumstances.

But in many cases I need or can use the extra 1.6 crop factor. So having a marriage between the 5DIII type quality, with a APS C camera, and high speed would be great. Basically a top of the line crop camera. I assume the innovative video will be the dual pixel 70D, plus other features?

I will get this the day it gets out.

mycanonphotos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
I love using my 7D for longer range work using the 100-400, its just great. BUT...I dont use it as much due to the lack of ISO capability in low light. With that being said. If the new 7D has ISO capabilities similar to the 5DIII I will grab one as soon as it comes out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:38 PM »
  • 20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF ... hidden behind mirror and thus not used in normal operation
  • Innovative video features
  • Price around $2000
  • Very good high ISO performance ... but still no sub-100
  • clacking mirror with OVF, thus AF misalignment and OVF-influenced lightmetering

So apart from more megapixels, how is this an upgrade? Maybe for you, but not for me.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

luckydude

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
I own both a 7D and the 5DIII.

But in many cases I need or can use the extra 1.6 crop factor.

I will get this the day it gets out.

Me too.  As in own both and like the 5D better.  I'd pay way more than $2000 for a crop version of the 5DIII that produced images as good as the 5DIII.  If the 100% crops were as good as the 5DIII I'd pay the same as what I paid for the 5DIII.  Are you listening Canon?  Us wildlife people want the 1.6x bump but can't take the crappy sensor.  So a sensor as good as the 5DIII, same AF points (or better if you like, nice for birds in flight), same UI (the 7D was a step up in UI IMHO, I like it).

Bring it on, Canon, we want to buy it.

silversurfer96

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
The new spec looks tempting.  Maybe I should consider selling my current one...
7D | 5D3 | 24-105 4.0 | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 II | 40 2.8 | 580EX II

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14594\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=14594\">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>EOS 7D Mark II in March?<br />

</strong>A spec list has shown up for an EOS 7D Mark II with a possible announcement in March of 2014.</p>
<p>According to the rumor, the sensor is not yet confirmed, though it does mention it won’t be the same as the EOS 70D. Also a mention of innovative video features, something we’ve talked about previously. There’s not much new here as far as specs go, but at least the camera is being talked about.</p>
<ul>
<li>20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF</li>
<li>Auto-Focus system similar to the EOS 5D Mark III (61 points), possibly the same as 5D3</li>
<li>High frame rate, 10-12 fps</li>
<li>“high grade” weather sealing, like Canon’s professional DSLRs</li>
<li>Dual Digic V+ processor</li>
<li>Single card slot</li>
<li>WiFi & GPS</li>
<li>Innovative video features</li>
<li>Price around $2000</li>
<li>Very good ISO performance</li>
</ul>
<p>Source: [<a href=\"http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-may-announced-march-2014/\" target=\"_blank\">CW</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

Yes, 1 for me , Please
If 24 MP, ----  2 for me , and I can retire my 20 D, and 1DS MK. I, But I still keep 7D and 5D MK II for the spare.

Surapon

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
The new spec looks tempting.

Remember a [CR1] is as good as rolling dice, and just an incentive for senseless (but fun) speculation :-p

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »

Remember a [CR1] is as good as rolling dice, and just an incentive for senseless (but fun) speculation :-p

I kind of think there is no real spec list!   LOL  CR1 is pretty much an excuse to get some more action on the forums... and it's working!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
The 7D2 sounds great and I definitely want one, but seeing another random 3D posting last night got me thinking. A 46.8MP full frame sensor is the same pixel density as Canons 18MP APS-C sensors. If they wanted it to, that camera could do everything the 7D does and possibly more. The idea of switching from a big MP landscape mode to a crop sports mode is pretty appealing, and given that other cameras already do this we can be pretty sure that the functionality will be implemented in some form. I think it might be worth waiting after the 7D2 launch to see if the compromise in crop mode specs is worth exchanging for the extra versatility.
-100% RAW-

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
  • 20MP or 24MP sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF ... hidden behind mirror and thus not used in normal operation
  • Innovative video features
  • Price around $2000
  • Very good high ISO performance ... but still no sub-100
  • clacking mirror with OVF, thus AF misalignment and OVF-influenced lightmetering

So apart from more megapixels, how is this an upgrade? Maybe for you, but not for me.

Since you asked.

Autofocus similar to the 5DIII would be an upgrade for me.
10-12 frames per second would be an upgrade, but not a big selling point for me.
High grade weathersealing would be an upgrade for me.
GPS and WiFi would be an upgrade, but not a big selling point for me.
Very Good ISO performance would be an upgrade for me (assuming that means at least one and possibly two stops lower noise)

Another thing that would be an upgrade and which will certainly be included is control of 600-EX RT through the on-camera menu.

A single card slot would be a disappointment, but I'm not convinced Canon will go that route. It's a cheap feature to add and if they are positioning the 7DII as an APS-C counterpart to the 5DIII, I think they will likely include dual card slots.

I really couldn't care less about the increase in megapixels. I'd happily trade 24 mp for 18 mp if it meant better low-light performance.  What good is a 24mp image if it's too noisy to use? Frankly, if the choice is between the dual-pixel autofocus and better ISO performance, I'd gladly leave the dual-pixel autofocus to the 70D. However, I doubt that will happen because the video is just too big of a market to remove that feature. (And, I honestly don't know if it would have any impact on sensor performance).

I kind of think there is no real spec list!   LOL  CR1 is pretty much an excuse to get some more action on the forums... and it's working!

Yeah, I think anyone who reads Canon Rumors could have written this same spec list. I do hope the chatter will start to pick up. If it doesn't Craig may have to change the website to "Canon Lack-of-Rumors."
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »