August 27, 2014, 03:34:00 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 36658 times)

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
Well ill be in line for 2 of these beasts....keep the cf slot, make it dual, keep the same better as the 7d and the same grip, or at least update the grip it include better water seal, I'd love full on auto transfer of images to may has when within range of my know ssid's built in canon wireless flash controller and I'll upgrade my 580's to the 600's as well. Oh remote,view and full setting and remote WiFi trigger as well.  On the WiFi it would be great to be able to sync two cameras so ever shot is in,complete sync.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »

Good grief.  EVFs are years, if not decades away from being usable in high-speed and/or low-light situations, plus we need a good factor of 4 increase in battery performance before we go that way.

A  bit of an overreaction? He didn't suggest building a space elevator.

SecundumArtemRx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
Nice features, but I wish someone could find the guy in the Canon board room who keeps recommending they dilute their flagship cameras with unnecessary video features.

To that same board member: Keep the 61 point autofocus and make this camera a wildlife and sports photographer's dream by maxing the sensor. I'd buy three to boost your profits!

Signed a humble guy who's been waiting for three years to upgrade camera bodies, due to lack of sensor innovation.
Canon 60D: 16-35 f/2.8L, 35 f/1.4L, 135 f/2L, 70-300 f4-5.6

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
"Very good ISO performance"

Ahhh. Now I can rest easy  :)

Did they also say: "no more noisy blues skies at base ISO"?

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »

Good grief.  EVFs are years, if not decades away from being usable in high-speed and/or low-light situations, plus we need a good factor of 4 increase in battery performance before we go that way.

Space elevators are at least possible.  EVF as good as OVFs are not possible, ever.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »

There's noise in the light itself.  It's impossible to have a noise-free image.  With the capture of lots of light and the application of noise reduction in software, it's possible to have the appearance of noise-free images, but that's all.

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Needs to have either joystick or touchscreen (or both), and preferably articulating screen for abnormal shots.  Wifi would be nice too if it is fast.

iam2nd

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
I've been saving to have a 1DX as a replacement/second body for my 1D Mark IV.  But looking at the alleged 7D MKII specs, it matches or exceeds the 1DMKIV performance in many areas at a drastic price savings.

I am fully aware of the differences not only in performance but also in durability and usability between the Pro and pro-sumer line, but this body would give me options for my upgrade path.  I am eagerly awaiting CR2 specs on this one.

roadrunner

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »

Space elevators are at least possible.  EVF as good as OVFs are not possible, ever.

At least you confirmed suspicions of an over reaction =/

Who knows what will be possible in the next decade or so. I'll agree that it's not going ot happen for a few more years, but there's no way of knowing what will be possible in 10+ years, especially with anything technology related.

transpo1

• Rebel SL1
  • 5DC or 7DC 4K
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
Innovative Video features that would be useful.

1. Official Canon RAW video DNG
2. Focus peaking
3. Zebras or False Color

+ everything video oriented the 5DIII has.

Those are the things that would make me buy this camera next year. Yes, I am a video-oriented shooter.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »

I have to admit that I wasn't overly enamoured with the EVF on the A99 compared to the viewfinder on my 5D MkIII (though I only tried it indoors and it might perform better in natural light), but this doesn't alter the fact that they are probably the future for most cameras. EVFs have come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years and I see no reason why they will not in the next few. This is how I see the pros and cons of EVFs, in descending order of significance:

EVF Pros:
  • allow a simpler and cheaper camera design by eliminating expensive to assemble moving parts and removing the requirement for seperate AF and metering sensors
  • offer a larger and brighter image than most APS-C viewfinders
  • allow more freedom with lens design by allowing placement of rear elements further towards sensor
  • allow more shooting information to be displayed, e.g. magnified focus, focus peaking, zebras & real-time histogram

EVF Cons:
  • image lag
  • contrast range
  • resolution
Of all these, the cost reason will be why manufacturers will eventually move to EVFs across their whole range, except maybe their flagship sports/action cameras. As the differences between the two become less relevant to a greater number of buyers, not to move to a mirrorless design would leave a manufacturer producing increasingly expensive niche cameras (Leica?). Whilst this may be a direction for another manufacturer, it won't work for the market leaders that base their success upon sales volume (i.e. currently Canon and Nikon).

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

At least you confirmed suspicions of an over reaction =/

Who knows what will be possible in the next decade or so. I'll agree that it's not going ot happen for a few more years, but there's no way of knowing what will be possible in 10+ years, especially with anything technology related.

How are you going to be zero lag and zero power usage?

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
EVF Pros:
  • allow a simpler and cheaper camera design by eliminating expensive to assemble moving parts and removing the requirement for seperate AF and metering sensors

EVFs are more expensive than OVFs, if the EVF is decent.
  • offer a larger and brighter image than most APS-C viewfinders
  • allow more freedom with lens design by allowing placement of rear elements further towards sensor

This isn't an advantage of an EVF, it's an advantage of removing the mirror box, and only if your entire lens system changes.
  • allow more shooting information to be displayed, e.g. magnified focus, focus peaking, zebras & real-time histogram
I consider that a disadvantage, as it's distracting.  I turn it all off on my EVF cameras.  The only advantage is for manual focus situations.
[/list]

EVF Cons:
  • image lag
  • contrast range
  • resolution
Zero power draw as well.
[/list]

Of all these, the cost reason will be why manufacturers will eventually move to EVFs across their whole range, except maybe their flagship sports/action cameras.

Since that's an invalid reason, I don't see why they'd bother to make everything else worse.

I'd like a hybrid EVF/OVF using the EVF for video and manual focus situations only.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

The noise in the 7D  reminds me of the classic Panasonic all-in-one super zooms. But yeah, terrible blue channel noise at ISO 100. I'd much rather see them focus on low ISO dynamic range and noise than ISO 64000 jpeg noise.  Any addition of megapixels to the 1.6x sensor means I won't be picking one up. 18 is already too many.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

There's noise in the light itself.  It's impossible to have a noise-free image. 

Logical fallacy.