September 03, 2014, 04:50:36 AM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]  (Read 36949 times)

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Spec List Surfaces [CR1]
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
No need to have the weather sealable body like the 1DX, because a press photographer will not buy it any way.
My main reason for being interested in the 7DII is to use it for birds and wildlife. I don´t know what it´s like in your end of the world, but where I go we have rain, snow, dust, humidity and freezing temperatures. I´d say weather sealing is very important. The closer it´ll get to a 1DV, the happier I´ll be.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
No need to have the weather sealable body like the 1DX, because a press photographer will not buy it any way.

Are you aware that many, if not most, newspaper photographers are expected to buy their own gear and that the average pay for newspaper photographers is often just above the poverty level?

Are you aware of the quality of reproduction and the typical size used in most newspapers? A 7D is more than adequate in almost all cases.

Perhaps you imagine that the majority of press photographers spend their lives jetting around the world, dodging bullets, covering Olympics or tracking down rare species in the jungle.

A typical newspaper photographer is likely to spend his or her day taking pictures of third-graders doing a class project, doing a portrait of a local business person for a Sunday profile, covering a high school basketball game and if it is a particularly exciting day, rushing across town to take pictures at a house fire. On a slow day, they may spend an afternoon at a local car lot taking pictures of used cars for the dealer's Saturday ad.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »

First, weather sealing does not add that much to the cost of a camera... When I shot Olympus, I had a weather sealed E-520 and ALL my lenses were sealed....and that was NOT a high-end camera.

Press photographers take pictures of things like car accidents.... and when it is raining or snowing the number of accidents pick up dramatically..  and where I live we have very wet falls and winters with temperatures that regularly drop below -20C.... and freezing rain, the worst of both, but very pretty. A sealed camera seems like a good thing for those who have to go out and take pictures.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »

Are you aware that many, if not most, newspaper photographers are expected to buy their own gear and that the average pay for newspaper photographers is often just above the poverty level?

Are you aware of the quality of reproduction and the typical size used in most newspapers? A 7D is more than adequate in almost all cases.

Perhaps you imagine that the majority of press photographers spend their lives jetting around the world, dodging bullets, covering Olympics or tracking down rare species in the jungle.

A typical newspaper photographer is likely to spend his or her day taking pictures of third-graders doing a class project, doing a portrait of a local business person for a Sunday profile, covering a high school basketball game and if it is a particularly exciting day, rushing across town to take pictures at a house fire. On a slow day, they may spend an afternoon at a local car lot taking pictures of used cars for the dealer's Saturday ad.
+1   and many newspapers seem to be moving away from staff photographers and towards freelance...a move which will not put more money into the pockets of the photographer.

Skirball

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »

Don't forget the ladies.  Lots, and lots, of lay-dees.

pvk

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »

Ok, fair comments, let me be more clear on what I am trying to say. Canon does not actually say much about the weather sealing, at least not what I have found. Anyone has actual official information?

The information I usually find about it is that the sealing of the 1DX is far exceeding that of the 5DIII, which exceeds the sealing durability of the 7D. If you want the durability and sealing of the 1DX, you have to pay for it.

My assumption is that the 7DII will be a (feature wise improved) crop version of the 5DIII, not of the 1DX. Otherwize it will be far too expensive, the 7DII logical price point will be below the 5DIII.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
To me a 7D would be a bird/wildlife backup camera to the 1DX. The most important thing for me, compared to what the current 7D provides, in order of priority:
1: AF. If it gets the 5DIII AF system, it will be a massive improvement.
2: High ISO performance. If it gets to 5DIII standard, I´ll be very happy
3: Dynamic range. I would love to see the DR number grow by at least 1.
4: Resolution. Provided I can get the above, I would want as much as possible. But I would not trade Noise/DR performance for more resolution.
5: fps. 8 is OK, 10 would make me happy
6: A good silent shutter mode, similar to or better than 5DIII. The 1DX machine gun can scare off grizzlies.

Your wish will be granted.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
To me a 7D would be a bird/wildlife backup camera to the 1DX. The most important thing for me, compared to what the current 7D provides, in order of priority:
4: Resolution. Provided I can get the above, I would want as much as possible. But I would not trade Noise/DR performance for more resolution.
6: A good silent shutter mode, similar to or better than 5DIII. The 1DX machine gun can scare off grizzlies.

Agreed.  That sounds reasonable and desirable.  That would be a great 7D MkII and would keep its position as the flagship of the Canon Crop Fleet...  It's an upgrade that makes sense and is believable...
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »

How about the following additional wishes? ;)
7. Articulating touchscreen for off-angle shots and videos
8. Wifi
9. GPS
10. Retention of pop-up flash
11. 135mbps SD slot to dramatically reduce buffer fill
12. USB 3.0 camera transfer for quicker RAW photo dumps
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:40:25 AM by Ruined »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
...My assumption is that the 7DII will be a (feature wise improved) crop version of the 5DIII, not of the 1DX. Otherwise it will be far too expensive, the 7DII logical price point will be below the 5DIII.

That I agree with.

Of course, it's hard to predict a trend when only one 7D and three 5Ds have been produced, but it does seem that Canon positioned the two as basically paired versions of one another. Since the release dates vary by a couple of years it's not surprising that one model tends to leapfrog the other in certain features, but for the most part, they seem to be comparable. Which actually makes a lot of sense.

Give 5D owners a crop version for the reach and other advantages of that format but retain the same basic operational features so its easy to move from one to the other.

Get 7D users used to the same basic feature set of the 5D so that if they decide to try full-frame they are more likely to go for the more expensive 5DIII over the entry-level 6D (that strategy worked with me, by the way).

I've long said that Canon's goal is not to move people from crop to full frame, but to sell enthusiasts, semi-pros and wedding/event photographers two bodies – one crop and one full frame.

I think there is a outside chance Canon could produce both a 7DII that mirrors the 5D and a "7D X" that is targeted to the professional shooters that still miss the reach of the APS-H format. I don't know how large that market might be and whether it would be worth the investment for Canon to produce such a high-end crop sensor. But, regardless, the primary 7DII is likely to remain paired with the 5D as you say.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

8. Wifi
9. GPS

Sounds good to me.... I don't really care one way or the other about the flash... I find the pop-up flash on my 60D to be quite weak and if you use a large lens you get flash shadows... Pity they can't make it stick up higher....

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47:01 AM »

I've long said that Canon's goal is not to move people from crop to full frame, but to sell enthusiasts, semi-pros and wedding/event photographers two bodies – one crop and one full frame.
I agree with you. They are different tools for different needs.

About the only thing we can guess with any degree of certainty is that whatever the 7D2 is, it will be better than the 70D.  The higher bound is unknown... Some features will most likely be better than a 1DX, some will be worse... New features or improvements have to be introduced somewhere, like dual pixel on a 70D or digic6 on a P/S... It does not mean a re-ordering of the Canon lineup, it's just the order that the new models were introduced.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

8. Wifi
9. GPS

Sounds good to me.... I don't really care one way or the other about the flash... I find the pop-up flash on my 60D to be quite weak and if you use a large lens you get flash shadows... Pity they can't make it stick up higher....
The pop-up flash has no value to me. I would rather have a body with improved weather sealing and no flash. Let's hope Canon agrees to the same spec ... or even provides a positive surprise or two ;)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

8. Wifi
9. GPS

correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't the area set aside for the flash replaced by the wifi antennae?  Isn't that one of the reasons the 6d, which is more geared towards the consumer crowd than the 7d2, didn't get a pop up flash?  I thought it was something to do with the body construction (type of metal would block wifi signal and weather sealing, so they had to put the wifi antennae outside of that shell in that little nub the pop up flash would go). 

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »
correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't the area set aside for the flash replaced by the wifi antennae?  Isn't that one of the reasons the 6d, which is more geared towards the consumer crowd than the 7d2, didn't get a pop up flash?  I thought it was something to do with the body construction (type of metal would block wifi signal and weather sealing, so they had to put the wifi antennae outside of that shell in that little nub the pop up flash would go).

Note that the 70D has a pop-up flash and WiFi....

You can put the WiFi antenna anywhere, but the top is the best position....

The GPS antenna is a lot more restrictive, the best signal comes when it is mounted on the top...

Even if the antennas are not on top, you still get a signal, just not as good. Typically the cameras are used in portrait mode and carried lens-down... so the top side/back edge is the preferred position.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »